• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer question

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went for a cruise and little fishing yesterday. While reversing to the ramp I hear a loud thud (i reverse fast lol) and sudden stop. I thought I hit the dock or another car. oh no im going to be in the chit show moment. I checked and I am about 5 ft to the nearest object, so I figured it gotta be the trailer. Went back to the truck and put hazard light on and of course no power in the trailer. I checked connection and it was snug and no corrosion. Put it back and the light was on again and launched boat with no problem. To me it seems like a one off moment, but if anyone experienced this that leads to issues let me know, I rather order parts now than wait for it to completely break.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your trailer is equipped with surge brakes, most likely, the tongue was pushed in and the brakes engaged. Done it myself a few times. If you backing slowly on level ground, they "usually do not engage"

There is a small D shaped piece of metal that is usually hanging by the trtailer tongue that is used to place in bolt travel slot to keep them from engaging if you need to "back up a hill" for instance.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like you had a momentary loss of contact with the back up light ckt in your 7 way plug… I used to get a lot of those faults on the dash, mainly for the left blinker??? I‘d get out and pull the plug and put it back in and it was fine. I cleaned the plug and socket, then sprayed some silicone spray in there.. still have the problem occasionally but not like it was.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If your trailer is equipped with surge brakes, most likely, the tongue was pushed in and the brakes engaged. Done it myself a few times. If you backing slowly on level ground, they "usually do not engage"

There is a small D shaped piece of metal that is usually hanging by the trtailer tongue that is used to place in bolt travel slot to keep them from engaging if you need to "back up a hill" for instance.
Thanks but if the power is on I don't need the D shape metal insert (that was my backup if it didnt work)

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like you had a momentary loss of contact with the back up light ckt in your 7 way plug… I used to get a lot of those faults on the dash, mainly for the left blinker??? I‘d get out and pull the plug and put it back in and it was fine. I cleaned the plug and socket, then sprayed some silicone spray in there.. still have the problem occasionally but not like it was.
Yea I checked and its not corroded. I also check the line from truck to brake and its all fine, at least those I can see anyway. I will monitor closely and check before leaving my house. Thanks

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks but if the power is on I don't need the D shape metal insert (that was my backup if it didnt work)
The one to be sure that is working, is the reverse lockout solenoid. That is powered by the reverse lights. So you could have full turn signals, running lights etc on your trailer. But if the reverse lockout pin loses connection it would not power the lockout solenoid and your surge brakes may engage.

So many people don't realize when this happens, as they are usually backing down a ramp, so the tongue may never compress. They would only notice this if they backed up hill, up into a garage, or over a concrete lip going into a garage putting pressure on the surge brake tongue.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder as well, if the actuator might need to be adjusted, like maybe it's on the edge of perfection, but with the right conditions, it may cause problems.

I know the manual goes through how to check / test to make sure it's operating correctly, and how to adjust it if it gets out of spec, but I don't know if this happens with age, or if it's really for initial setup.

Off base?