• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Traveling with OEM boat cover. Damage ?

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Will interstate speeds damage a OEM Yamaha boat cover ? Leaving for Florida Monday.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mooring cover, shipping cover? Which cover
I travel interstate with both - no damage.

I travel with mooring cover to lake twice week - 2 hours r/t - no damage in summer.

I suggest remove poles from mooring cover. Also suggest placing sliced tube floaters around window rim - it’ll help prevent rub spots and holes in covers.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The gelcoat chaffed on my boat all around the edges of the mooring cover. Some say it needs to be ratcheted real tight to prevent that. Maybe so. I’m a little reluctant to travel with the cover any more. I don’t really see the need for it. My cushions are secure. I just put the cover in the head compartment until I arrive to where I’m going.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried that once (going without a cover on the highway--after reading a similar post here). I had stowed the cushions, but had the original snap-in carpet in. Ripped the carpet out by the snaps (leaving the snap in the floor, with the carpet flapping in the wind). So, not saying you can't do it, but make sure EVERYTHING is secure and that cushions, carpet, wires, straps and the like all will not cause damage exposed to or flapping in high wind.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will also add to this that I believe those who say to strap it up tightly. That makes sense. I’m just reluctant to try it again. I’m just giving something to consider.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will also add to this that I believe those who say to strap it up tightly. That makes sense. I’m just reluctant to try it again. I’m just giving something to consider.
I strap so tight that I can hardly tighten them any more.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If it's the newer strapless covers made by OuterArmor they will not chafe the gelcoat. You tighten the rachet until you can't pull it anymore with your pinky finger (seriously, that's what the manual says) and that should be fine. The mooring cover will suction down on the boat and not rub. We won't trailer without it, unless it's around the corner to a ramp under 30mph. Older covers might not work as well and many recommend tape or pool noodles to help.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I strap so tight that I can hardly tighten them any more.
Careful you don't overtighten - if yours has the snap buckles on the sides, they're only plastic and could break as the rachets and strap are very strong. My dealer said to make it snug but not too tight when we picked up the boat, and the manual mentioned the "pinky test" method to ensure it's not too tight.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Careful you don't overtighten - if yours has the snap buckles on the sides, they're only plastic and could break as the rachets and strap are very strong. My dealer said to make it snug but not too tight when we picked up the boat, and the manual mentioned the "pinky test" method to ensure it's not too tight.
Going with just snug beat up the decals on both sides of my transom. I’ve never had any scratches or noticeable rubs anywhere else. I pull mine down tight now, and have had no additional scratches. I guess I’ll try to keep an eye on the plastic latches... I hadn’t given that much thought.

4 6hr tows this summer, so far.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have towed the boat twice to lakes with ratchets very tight with no problems but never over 55 mph. I like the idea of using extra protection on windshield edges and I will look for other areas that might scrub the cover.
I washed and waxed the boat and didn’t want to arrive in Florida with bugs covering it.
Thanks guys for the information .

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If it's the newer strapless covers made by OuterArmor they will not chafe the gelcoat. You tighten the rachet until you can't pull it anymore with your pinky finger (seriously, that's what the manual says) and that should be fine. The mooring cover will suction down on the boat and not rub. We won't trailer without it, unless it's around the corner to a ramp under 30mph. Older covers might not work as well and many recommend tape or pool noodles to help.
I did notice the cover will suction down on the boat at higher speeds. I was worried it might rip the cover. New Yamaha custom covers are high dollar. But protecting the new boat is my first concern .

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I brought the boat home with the white shipping cover. Thought I had it tight enough. When we arrived home after our two and a half hour trip I noticed the cover tore at the seams near the tower mounts. I also noticed that billowed a lot in the wind during our travels. I have not tried the white cover since in fear of tearing it more.

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just completed a 1400 mile tow with the premium mooring cover. I used the inflated tube on top of the sun pads, with the anti pooling strap in place, but the poles removed. This setup worked well, did not get the typical deflection in the cover.

Side straps were extremely tight, and I still got some gel coat chafing on the back 1/4 of the sides of the boat on the way down. I had some blue painters tape in my kit, and covered these areas under the cover for the return trip with no issues. I’d recommend doing this if you’re going on a long haul. I’d cover essentially from the pissers to the transom 2” above and below the cover.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the blue painters tape idea, seems like a very easy and cheap insurance!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I tow long distances (like to Fort Lauderdale) I do the following:
  1. Cover with the shipping cover.
  2. I either use painter tape AND packing cling wrap to cover the exposed tower fronts. The cling wrap is cheap and covers faster. Tape holds it in place at edges
  3. Ensure I have lug wrench and trailer jack handy.
  4. Take one of those hardened circular protected locks and use it on the swing away tongue (remove the pin, bend the tongue, lock the hole, take pin with me)
  5. Have trailer brakes inspected

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We are currently on our 3rd trip from Chicago to Florida (1000 miles) and I use the mooring cover every time. The only issues I have are at the windshield corners, I recommend some foam or something to soften the edges there. I am starting to get some tears there after 2 years. Same cover and boat you have. For what it’s worth, you will still have to clean the t top as it will be full of bugs. My next cover will be custom with a cover to the tower to prevent that.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I tow long distances (like to Fort Lauderdale) I do the following:
  1. Cover with the shipping cover.
  2. I either use painter tape AND packing cling wrap to cover the exposed tower fronts. The cling wrap is cheap and covers faster. Tape holds it in place at edges
  3. Ensure I have lug wrench and trailer jack handy.
  4. Take one of those hardened circular protected locks and use it on the swing away tongue (remove the pin, bend the tongue, lock the hole, take pin with me)
  5. Have trailer brakes inspected
Thank you for the reminder, I didn’t even think about lug wrench and jack for trailer. I have the spare tire chain locked But I need a locking pin for swing away tongue.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We are currently on our 3rd trip from Chicago to Florida (1000 miles) and I use the mooring cover every time. The only issues I have are at the windshield corners, I recommend some foam or something to soften the edges there. I am starting to get some tears there after 2 years. Same cover and boat you have. For what it’s worth, you will still have to clean the t top as it will be full of bugs. My next cover will be custom with a cover to the tower to prevent that.
Thanks for the information, I will get something for windshield today. The mooring cover will definitely be on my boat for the trip.