• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to get reverse down

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes! It’s all about the short bursts in forward and reverse AND having your steering input set BEFORE you engage the throttle (burst). Once you figure out what the effect will be with the steering set in any direction with a quick burst of the throttle steering these awesome boats becomes much, much easier. Practice, practice, practice until it becomes intuitive. And go painfully slow in the marinas and ramp areas.

Have fun!
You made a great point about setting the steering before going from neutral to either idle ahead or idle astern, I’ll be giving that a try next time the boat is in the water.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Yes! It’s all about the short bursts in forward and reverse AND having your steering input set BEFORE you engage the throttle (burst). Once you figure out what the effect will be with the steering set in any direction with a quick burst of the throttle steering these awesome boats becomes much, much easier. Practice, practice, practice until it becomes intuitive. And go painfully slow in the marinas and ramp areas.

Have fun!
It's for that reason I went with the SD variant. I hope it is a game changer.

I am new to the JB world, and am glad you brought this up. I've seen plenty of videos on the drive system, and dock maneuverability with jet boats in general, but haven't seen it written out plainly like you stated. You just "made it click" for me. Much appreciate!

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You made a great point about setting the steering before going from neutral to either idle ahead or idle astern, I’ll be giving that a try next time the boat is in the water.
Once I figured out that completing my steering input first, before engaging the throttle in very short bursts, steering became much easier and controllable in and around my marina and in high traffic areas. Before I figured that part out it was quite a sphincter puckering s*** show trying to maneuver in tight spots.

Last edited:

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I am new to the JB world, and am glad you brought this up. I've seen plenty of videos on the drive system, and dock maneuverability with jet boats in general, but haven't seen it written out plainly like you stated. You just "made it click" for me. Much appreciate!
I’m glad I brought some value to the forum. It took me a while to learn this but I had to get it through my thick skull. Don’t be in a hurry and don’t let anyone pressure you, like the lookyloos at the ramp or marina. Put it all out of your head and focus on the steering inputs and quick throttle and where you are in relation to ramps, docks, other boats, etc. Just focus on those things. After a lot of practice it will become intuitive and you can relax a little. I know I’ll have to re-learn all this when my boat hits the water May 1 but the learning curve should be shorter.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Once I figured out that completing my steering input first, before engaging the throttle in very short bursts, steering became much easier and controllable in and around my marina and in high traffic areas. Before I figured that part out it was quite a sphincter pucker s*** show trying to maneuver in tight spots.
That‘s pretty funny! I can only imagine! I have a great advantage in that my friend has piloted many larger off shore fishing boats, Hatteras 60’s, and he gave me quite a few lessons in handling, the biggest was just clicking from neutral to idle ahead or astern for a second or two and waiting for the result, then making another adjustment as necessary.

I would offer another thing I learned. When maneuvering in tight quarters with a twin, I either use both motors in unison with the steering wheel, or leave the steering centered and split the throttles for directional control, the latter is nice as it doesn’t kick the stern around.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

That looks like a great system! Capt Steve at boat test makes it look easy peasey! And you can still split the throttles if you want! Hope you have a great time with your new ride!

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Actually I was looking forward to trying that too. Like my hydrostatic Zero-Turn lawn tractor. I can spin on a time. Amazing control. I was thinking that the electronic throttles would make it easier too

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
I’m glad I brought some value to the forum. It took me a while to learn this but I had to get it through my thick skull. Don’t be in a hurry and don’t let anyone pressure you, like the lookyloos at the ramp or marina. Put it all out of your head and focus on the steering inputs and quick throttle and where you are in relation to ramps, docks, other boats, etc. Just focus on those things. After a lot of practice it will become intuitive and you can relax a little. I know I’ll have to re-learn all this when my boat hits the water May 1 but the learning curve should be shorter.
Another great point. I'm not new to boating, so I have learned the "don't be pressured by lookyloos". I think it is the easiest way for a captain to get frazzled and mistakes to happen.

I have a marina that I use mainly for that reason. Two launches, two long docks, calm water, and dock assistants. It is infinitely more chill than public launches. I could take all the time in the world after I've walked the boat down from load/unload area. Launch fee of $16 vs $8 for the public launch, it is absolutely worth it especially if it is a busy day.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That‘s pretty funny! I can only imagine! I have a great advantage in that my friend has piloted many larger off shore fishing boats, Hatteras 60’s, and he gave me quite a few lessons in handling, the biggest was just clicking from neutral to idle ahead or astern for a second or two and waiting for the result, then making another adjustment as necessary.

I would offer another thing I learned. When maneuvering in tight quarters with a twin, I either use both motors in unison with the steering wheel, or leave the steering centered and split the throttles for directional control, the latter is nice as it doesn’t kick the stern around.
Totally agree regarding the twins. In my twin diesel Formula my wheel is centered and all steering is done with my engines in marinas and fuel docks. I can turn my Formula on a “dime” by splitting the throttles, and going ahead on one engine and astern on the other. And traveling very, very slow. Very little to no drama.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another great point. I'm not new to boating, so I have learned the "don't be pressured by lookyloos". I think it is the easiest way for a captain to get frazzled and mistakes to happen.

I have a marina that I use mainly for that reason. Two launches, two long docks, calm water, and dock assistants. It is infinitely more chill than public launches. I could take all the time in the world after I've walked the boat down from load/unload area. Launch fee of $16 vs $8 for the public launch, it is absolutely worth it especially if it is a busy day.

I‘d say that extra $8 is priceless!

Where i boat I’m fortunate that most folks who are around when I’m launching or retrieving will jump in and help if I’m having difficulty. The dock where I’m at is pretty short, only room for one boat a side so I have to launch and dock on the opposite side then go park. No one seems to get their jammies in a knot.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Totally agree regarding the twins. In my twin diesel Formula my wheel is centered and all steering is done with my engines in marinas and fuel docks. I can turn my Formula on a “dime” by splitting the throttles, and going ahead on one engine and astern on the other. And traveling very, very slow. Very little to no drama.
Exactly!

My friend was telling me how one time he was backing this high end Hatteras into the fuel dock very very slowly..when the owner of the fuel dock came out to fuel the boat, my friend apologized for taking so long, the owner replied, never seen anybody wreck my dock by going too slow.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is one of the great features of jetboats - no dog gear to clunk in/out when switching fwd/rev. I do the same thing when I get close to the dock, using neutral to change the steering angle, then fwd/rev as needed. Often get compliments on how easy I make it look - but it's mostly the boat that makes it easy.
:D

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is one of the great features of jetboats - no dog gear to clunk in/out when switching fwd/rev. I do the same thing when I get close to the dock, using neutral to change the steering angle, then fwd/rev as needed. Often get compliments on how easy I make it look - but it's mostly the boat that makes it easy.
@212s ...... respectfully disagree - it's not the boat making it look easy it's (IMO) - your - smart Captaining that makes it look easy! :cool:

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some guys sound like they're about to drop an engine with those big "KACHUNK!"s. I'm very thankful that I have a relatively secluded launch that splits my property. Makes practicing a lot nicer, and that clunking sound is usually heard up and down the creek when everyone is trying to get their pontoons in or out. When I take one of the neighbors out, when we're coming back and they see how nice and smooth everything is, I often get the comment that "no wonder you always let us go, your boat is just so much smoother"

Something I found helpful is to go out all by yourself. It'd be nice to have a helper, but my experience is that nobody who isn't going to be driving the boat wants to go out with you to practice. That's not to say you won't have the occasional helper who doesn't mind, and if you're trailering somewhere, you won't have help docking, which will introduce some stress, but if you have your own pier or can tinker around in a marina or creek somewhere, it's worth the time spent puttering around at low speed and without all the added pressure.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Have fun!
Great advice about setting your steering ahead of time. When I was out on the lake for my maiden voyage, I practiced my maneuvers on the floating outhouse docks. No one around. I have fly by wire throttles, and they are very sensitive. I can also sync my throttles to one lever. Got a lot of practicing to do. My sanger superjet was easy to maneuver back in the day, but I had a foot throttle. This is a new ballgame.