• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Unknown part

Jeff wernick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Found this at the bottom of the engine well... Any ideas as to what it is or purpose. I am thinking it may be to limit engine vibration?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Beverage coaster from a UFO that visited the Yamaha plant during your boat's fabrication.

(ok, really, I got nothing...)

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My truck uses a rubber coupler for the steering which is driven by an electric motor. I heard the engine to jetpump uses a rubber coupler to soften the sudden changes in engine RPM, but have not seen one. This might be one that was dropped during assembly.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks like brand new, never installed. If thendrive has never been apart I’d say they dropped it and just left it there. These boats aren’t built with an abundance of care.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More spare parts in the bilge...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jeff wernick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$100 bill...Not bad!!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have guessed it was more of a "dampener" to absorb the shock ????
@Canuckjetboater any theory on this parts use as a cover or a cushion ?

If you were worried if it was there I think you could lean down over the engine and feel for it, I "THINK" that part is exposed where the engine meets the shaft.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
thanks for the diagram of the part....curious, do you know if it affect the running of the engine as it seem more like a cap than anything else performance wise
Are you wondering if yours fell out? I am pretty certain that if this were the case that drive train would be A LOT louder. As @Scottintexas said, you might be able to reach down to the coupler and feel for the one that is in place now (I've not studied if that is possible).

But imagine that coupler without that rubber part cushioning the two metal "gears"....it would be loud and clanky.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, unless you have a significant rattle/vibration, that was just dropped in there by the factory, and didn't fall out. That is basically a more complicated version of a lovejoy coupler. It allows a slight degree of misalignment in the shafts, and slightly dampens the driveline. If the rubber were missing, there would have to be some serious clanking, particularly on startup and shutdown. Might even be visible if you look at the rear of the engine, where the coupler is. Pictured is the common, simplistic version designed for just a few horsepower.

1597162876025.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just as an fyi,
helping with another thread I found this link that has a good picture of that coupling and you can see the rubber cushion, it's normally obscured by the cover,

Jeff wernick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yup - rubber shaft coupling part #1 in Jet Unit 2 parts breakdown.
View attachment 129319
just as an fyi,
helping with another thread I found this link that has a good picture of that coupling and you can see the rubber cushion, it's normally obscured by the cover,

Thanks....seems like it just an extra part left in the engine well