• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water coming out of bilge

dgbroyles @gmail.com

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi fellas,
Just noticed this on last outing and don't know if this is normal and I can't find anything specific on other posts. 2015 Ar240. When boat is in reverse, water constantly pours out the bilge spout on starboard side into lake. What is going on? Normal, or only thing I can think of from other posts is the scupper valve, which I quite don't understand it's purpose. Please help!

Glad to have you on board !

It could be many different issues but most are easily solved once they are identified.

It's very important on our boats to be aware of the bilge activating because if you blow a cooling line or you're cleanout plug disengages it's very easy to take all that pump pressure and starting filling the boat with water.

I would suggest an inexpensive high water alarm in your engine compartment above floor level to give you some time in case you do have a problem.

my first guess is that water is coming onto the swimdeck and under the cleanout hatch which is notorious for not being sealed well. The pump is probably between the engines so it's possible water is getting in another way during your trip and pooling at the stern, when you reverse, the momentum moves the water forward to the pump,

do you trailer or have a slip or lift?
How long does the bilge pump for?
how long do you have to reverse for the bilge to activate?
Do you ever see the bilge activated at other times ?
Do you have to be on the water for an extended period to replicate the problem or as soon as you get on the water?
Have you ever removed the manhole cover on your cleanout tray and looked into the very stern of the boat?

Thanks for reply! Boat is trailered after every trip back to it's cozy garage. I have noticed this occurance happening last 3 times out, but have not had the boat long. As soon as you activate reverse, that water starts coming out of bilge port. And it will bilge as long as I'm in reverse, then stop when out of reverse. I looked in engine compartment, no water. Tad bit below bilge pump. Very little water behind drain plug, but enough to know, it doesnt drip water on floor garage. I do think bilge runs more than I am acustom to just out floating on water. Not much water sports activity not alot of wet bodies all the time. Reverse usually only activated coming out of boat ramp for the day, and proud a few times out in water to back out of a cove, but not in reverse long. Boat is running fine,no alarms or high temps, but this just seems odd to me.

Scupper valve looks good, no water flowing back through drain onto carpet. I have popped the.clean out hatch and don't see any water. Water on top of clean out plugs which I need to start pulling out on end of every trip I understand.

I also though maybe clean out plugs are not sealing right. I have no water gushing out under swim platform hatch under power, but I could pull them out and give a good cleaning.

Next thing I'm going to do this weekend is to see if the bilge water is hot or cold.

Next thing I'm going to do this weekend is to see if the bilge water is hot or cold.
And you are 100% certain the water is coming from the bilge? Sounds really bizarre! Can you get some video and put it on youtube (then link it here)? As I'm sure you know....the engine operates identically in forward vs reverse.....so nothing internal to the boat changes when in reverse.

The only thing I can think of is a major leak in the stern somewhere - rub rail? Transom crack? I wonder if the hose for the clean out tray is disconnected???

Where would clean out tray hose be? Can you get to that? 100 percent bilge port

Ok and I'm stupid. What is the rub rail and where would you check to see if it's tight?

And you are 100% certain the water is coming from the bilge? Sounds really bizarre! Can you get some video and put it on youtube (then link it here)? As I'm sure you know....the engine operates identically in forward vs reverse.....so nothing internal to the boat changes when in reverse.

The only thing I can think of is a major leak in the stern somewhere - rub rail? Transom crack? I wonder if the hose for the clean out tray is disconnected???
Video coming after this coming weekend, if we don't find something first!

Another thing I brainstormed. How is the cooling water directed in reverse?. Does it still come out the two cooling water ports next to bilge port, or is that cooling water somehow redirected in reverse thru bilge hose. Need to look at that bilge corregated hose and see if a tee of y is in it. Just a thought. I've just never paid attention to this as it's over the side and you really can't see it unless you are looking over starboard window down. Need to find out though is if that water is hot or cold in reverse.

Another thing I brainstormed. How is the cooling water directed in reverse?. Does it still come out the two cooling water ports next to bilge port, or is that cooling water somehow redirected in reverse thru bilge hose. Need to look at that bilge corregated hose and see if a tee of y is in it. Just a thought. I've just never paid attention to this as it's over the side and you really can't see it unless you are looking over starboard window down. Need to find out though is if that water is hot or cold in reverse.
The engine and cooling all work the same way regardless of forward or reverse. The only thing reverse changes is the position of the pump gate.

Hi fellas,
Just noticed this on last outing and don't know if this is normal and I can't find anything specific on other posts. 2015 Ar240. When boat is in reverse, water constantly pours out the bilge spout on starboard side into lake. What is going on? Normal, or only thing I can think of from other posts is the scupper valve, which I quite don't understand it's purpose. Please help!

Any water that comes on the deck of your boat drains through a system that goes through the scupper. If you notice when you wash your boat all the water flows to the back or under the ski locker and fuel door, a gutter system catches all that and drains it. It your case it may not be sealed well around where it connects to the hull. My other thought, the top half of the boat, and the bottom half of the boat mate together at the rub rail. On the back of the boat this at the swim platform, should have a shinny strip of rail as the swim platform curves down at the back of the boat. I reverse some water might be getting forced through a leak somewhere. Seems unlikely but maybe there is something going on at your intermediate bearings. (Where the drive shaft goes through your hull in the engine compartment.

I would carefully reverse with the engine hatch open and have a set of eyes looking in thereto see if they can see the source.

Another option, on the trailer, put the drain plug in and put a hose in the engine bay. Fill with water until the water is up the bilge pump and see if you can see water leaking out the bottom/back of the boat anywhere. Recommend doing this after the boat is dry so you can tell if it’s a leak or just normal after use dripping. (Don’t forget to drain when your done)

Will do, going to do the open engine hatch in reverae out on the lake this weekend, and if can't pin it there, fill the engine compartment on the trailer. Great tips thanks.

I'd check your scupper valve. I think your boat is old enough, and anything is possible and worth checking out, that it may LOOK good, but even slight testing might show issues you thought were previously fine.

I think @Julian went to check his, and it broke off in his hands, for instance.

Your rub rail LOOKS like it would be high enough out of the water. Others told me that mine was as well. Personal experience showed otherwise, and I recently removed my rub rail, to find several corroding screws that were allowing some water in. It's a whack-a-mole game with tracking down these things on some boats, keep after it until you're satisfied with the results.

I'd check your scupper valve. I think your boat is old enough, and anything is possible and worth checking out, that it may LOOK good, but even slight testing might show issues you thought were previously fine.

Your rub rail LOOKS like it would be high enough out of the water. Others told me that mine was as well. Personal experience showed otherwise, and I recently removed my rub rail, to find several corroding screws that were allowing some water in. It's a whack-a-mole game with tracking down these things on some boats, keep after it until you're satisfied with the results.

I was thinking of just putting a garden hose down the scupper drain on the floor deck and letting water flow down drain tube, open clean out hatch and look down at scupper valve above boat drain and see if water is leaking out of body of actual in scupper body. Good idea or No?

What did you seal rub rail with once you removed chrome trim?

Back