• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What are your thoughts on the Sea-Doo Switch Pontoon Jet Boat?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t think that’s by design to have things rattle like that. Look at her arms lol. You’ll never see a Bennington or even Sun Tracker look that sloppy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t think that’s by design to have things rattle like that. Look at her arms lol. You’ll never see a Bennington or even Sun Tracker look that sloppy.
Not even comparing to another pontoon, that's too much movement for anything mechanical related in a control system.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in this area and kinda know the person making those videos. That is not choppy for this area in my opinion. Yes, he was out in the gulf but briefly, the rest of the time I would say it was more intercoastal/bay waters so they are protected, and when they get choppy, it gets choppy, this wasn't one of those times. I want to see it in actual choppy 2+ft waters to see how it handles. That shaking of the console bothered me a little bit for the conditions they were in.

We have a lot, and i mean alot of pontoons around this area and I have seen them in bad waters and thought they were going to sink.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This could be fun, a bit different, could work great for a family.
My perhaps the only question would be about local dealer/rotax mechanic support.
Probably not a big issue with the recent proliferation of everything jet ski, but that would be the one thing I would want to know before buying.
My boat mechanic back in MO, amazing as he was, would not work on anything rotax so that was never an option I would consider.

--
I'm intrigued by its design and function and I agree that it could be great for a smaller family just getting into the sport. In my area there are a ton of Rotax mechanics so that isn't an issue down here. If they can work on a Seadoo ski they can work on this one, at least from a power plant perspective.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in this area and kinda know the person making those videos. That is not choppy for this area in my opinion. Yes, he was out in the gulf but briefly, the rest of the time I would say it was more intercoastal/bay waters so they are protected, and when they get choppy, it gets choppy, this wasn't one of those times. I want to see it in actual choppy 2+ft waters to see how it handles. That shaking of the console bothered me a little bit for the conditions they were in.

We have a lot, and i mean alot of pontoons around this area and I have seen them in bad waters and thought they were going to sink.
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

IMO, these aren't built/targeted for large/open/bay type waters. Until this year, I had spent my entire boating life on fresh water inland lakes of small and medium size. Largest lake I had been on was either Dale Hollow, or Cumberland, Maybe Douglas Lake in TN. Anyway, these lakes rarely get into the 2' chop range. Usually only on holiday weekends, or other busy times of year (like poker run weekend on Cumberland). These Switches will do well there IMO. Protected, mostly docile, inland lakes and rivers. I doubt you'll find one crossing to bimini, much like you rarely find a regular toon doing that kind of work. We, as Yamaha/Scarab owners are largely the anomaly in "small" bowrider style boats to have that level of capability. I would assume the same for the pontoon market the Switch is after.

Point being, I'm not going to knock the switch for not being "big wave" capable. I don't think that is the target audience at any level.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

That thing would get tossed like a rag doll on our larger lake especially these days with all the extra boat traffic. It is not uncommon to have heavy chop, sweeps and white caps on our lake but can’t speak for others. I agree that chop looked very light by my standards and look at how much it’s taking a beating. A year or two of boating on big waters I wonder how it would hold up lol. I can’t see it lasting long without repairs and DIY mods to tighten or brace things IMO.

Dbc112

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
That one is the 12' one, the compact. I don't think it did bad that all for what it is. Would like to see what the 21' one does and how it handles 1-3' seas. That is the make or break for me. On an average day that is what I am jumping through.

Edit: @haknslash Maybe it is intended to do that in the design of it with the console, rather than being rigid. To absorb.
Pontoons usually are not associated to any swell… need to see this go through haulover! Wonder if they will have any type of lifting strakes for those of us in the salt water areas. Need to keep that nose up… trim tabs would be awesome!

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I talked to my BRP dealer that try the new pontoon.

Apparently :

18ft with the 230hp is fun and sportive, top around 43-44 MPH with 6 person onboard

21ft with the 230hp is kind of sluggish and not that "sportive" and top at 23MPH with 8 person onboard.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I talked to my BRP dealer that try the new pontoon.

Apparently :

18ft with the 230hp is fun and sportive, top around 43-44 MPH with 6 person onboard

21ft with the 230hp is kind of sluggish and not that "sportive" and top at 23MPH with 8 person onboard.
Interesting - my dealer showed me paperwork from BRP showing the 21ft with 170hp should hit mid 30s and the 230 in the 40s.

YamPat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Interesting - my dealer showed me paperwork from BRP showing the 21ft with 170hp should hit mid 30s and the 230 in the 40s.
There's a big gap between the 2 sources ... and the 8 persons on board can't make that big of a gap

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the weight and horsepower are similar to my boat, I would think the Yamaha has a better hull for cutting across the water. Would think performance is similiar.

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 180 HP Yamaha can do 30 mph with 8 people on board, I assume the 21ft Switch with 230hp can do better.

CycoRyder

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Boat Length
now way.. hard pass.. only good for calm / small / flat lake water.. if that's your thing.. Gotta have something multi-use.. gimmicky..

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian I think a sub forum should be made for these.
There is already a SeaDoo Jet Boats subforum. It has 182 threads in it. If it was swamped with posts perhaps a whole new one for One model line up might be called for. But the reality is, the model specific sub forums aren't used much, and could probably be collapsed into far fewer break outs.

That said, if we think a "Switch" subforum is needed and there is demand....we'll open one. In the meantime I added "Pontoons" to the forum title:

1631195627104.png

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It will be interesting to hear what an actual owner has to say....not seen one yet!
Supposedly I should have mine in ~60 days. I highly doubt that though.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Supposedly I should have mine in ~60 days. I highly doubt that though.
I'll have to come check it out next time I'm in Tampa!!! Plan to be there in early December - wonder if it will be in by then!

Where did you buy it from, and did they have a showroom model for you to lay hands on?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'll have to come check it out next time I'm in Tampa!!! Plan to be there in early December - wonder if it will be in by then!

Where did you buy it from, and did they have a showroom model for you to lay hands on?
Send me a PM when the time gets closer. I hope it is here by then. The guy said 90 days but my paperwork says March.

A placed called West Coast Power Spots, I bought my Sparks from them years ago. No showroom model, I called and they said they only have ten slots available and 3 were taken. This was the day after they announced them, so I just jumped on board.