• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What Electric Car(s) do you own and what do you think of it?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We bought two Teslas in December foreseeing this disaster with gas prices coming. We bought one Model 3 and one Model Y.

As others have said, these two models don’t have ventilated seats. Not a big deal to us and that’s living in AZ. All you do is turn on your AC from your phone 10 minutes before you get in and your seats are ice cold. I have yet to even think about needing ventilated seats.

These are a blast to drive. The instant torque is so much fun. They are very cost effective as well. I drive about 30,000 miles a year and my cost to charge (at $0.06-$0.07/kWh off peak rates) is$70/month, based on charging at home (which is extremely simple and so much better than having to go to gas stations).

I dread having to drive I.C.E. vehicles now. I dread having to fill up my pickup with fuel. In 6 months of owning my Teslas I have yet to put fuel in my pickup (which I still own).

I’m so sold on electric that I have two pickups on order. I will be selling my ¾ ton Duramax as soon as the first one I have on order is available.

I’m sure I’m going to get bashed and name called for this, fine, I’m saying it just so you can have my perspective which I believe is relevant in this conversation… I come at this thinking it’s extremely vain and unrealistic that us measly little humans are effecting anything with the climate. I look at the data, actual But no matter how much we wish it an I.C.E. vehicle will never perform like electric.
I thought the same way mostly until we went back to a Hybrid.

Anyways, your last point is simply not true. High Performance ICE vehicles walk all over EVs at passing speeds. While our M3P was lightning quick to 60. Passing cars on the interstate was whole heartedly disappointing. It wasn’t slow but it was nothing compared to the 0-60, it got the job done like an average car. Also ICE is still far superior on a race track but that’s not really a thing for 99% of drivers.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Anyways, your last point is simply not true. High Performance ICE vehicles walk all over EVs at passing speeds. While our M3P was lightning quick to 60. Passing cars on the interstate was whole heartedly disappointing. It wasn’t slow but it was nothing compared to the 0-60, it got the job done like an average car. Also ICE is still far superior on a race track but that’s not really a thing for 99% of drivers.
Well sure you’re not going to perform (other than 0-60) in a sedan like you would a supercar, I guess I didn’t clarify that in my previous post. But compare them to anything in their class and most cars outside their class and they will outperform most. And a 0-60 in 1.99 with the S Plaid is going to stomp just about every vehicle ever made. What I was more getting at is I can load my family of 6 into our Model Y and go out and damn near keep up with a C8 corvette from 0-100.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol I definitely didn’t see that climate change denial plot twist coming…
My reason for saying this is to point out that Teslas stand on their own. I’m not a member of the cult because I think I’m saving the planet, I’m a member of the cult because they’re badass cars!
Even considering how clean as Elon has made production and material sourcing, they are still horrible for the environment. Then after production the generation of electricity still creates carbon considering the vast majority of our power comes from natural gas and coal. Until we start building more nuclear power plants, or nuclear fusion actually gets developed, and legitimate battery recycling begins I doubt these cars will ever be as clean as your typical I.C.E. sedans from production to end of life. However, the tech in these cars is awesome and they are a blast to drive.

Last edited:

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My reason for saying this is to point out that Teslas stand on their. I’m not a member of the cult because I think I’m saving the planet, I’m a member of the cult because they’re badass cars!
Even considering how clean as Elon has made production and material sourcing, they are still horrible for the environment. Then after production the generation of electricity still creates carbon considering the vast majority of our power comes from natural gas and coal. Until we start building more nuclear power plants, or nuclear fusion actually gets developed, and legitimate battery recycling begins I doubt these cars will ever be as clean as your typical I.C.E. sedans from production to end of life. However, the tech in these cars is awesome and they are a blast to drive.
I think this specific tangent is getting a little too far off topic, but I can’t let it go without rebutting. Climate change is greatly exacerbated by humans burning fossil fuel. Nearly 100% of practicing scientists agree with that statement. Second, the change away from fossil fuel reliance will need a vast shift in the technologies that we rely on. One major step in the change is moving from ICE engines to electric in passenger vehicles (then delivery, transport vehicles etc will follow). One of the next important steps that I’m involved with at my local power company is the push for them to increase the percentage of their power that comes from renewable energy.

I have a hard time not finding it comical when I hear people say that the mainstream media is biased and corrupt on this topic (not saying they don’t have issues with corruption on other topics). Follow the money. Who do you think has a bigger vested interest in a disinformation campaign to sway the public’s views on this - the media or the fossil fuel industry? Then you start connecting dots on how many politicians are actively taking donations from fossil fuel companies and the picture becomes pretty clear.

Okay I’ll get off my soap box now. There’s some good info in this thread for @Julian to help him decide on his next vehicle. The most exciting part to me is that every auto manufacturer is on board now as it seems they’ve all realized that they’ll become obsolete if they don’t begin producing EVs. Good luck with your shopping @Julian !

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Julian what is your time frame? I’m sure a lot of new EVs will be introduced in the next 24 months.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

You don't need a race track to appreciate dynamics.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm in no rush....and yes, more are coming out.
Another thing to consider (I don't think it was discussed) is the tax credit. If simply buying an EV today I would recommend a Tesla even though they no longer qualify for the $7500 federal rebate. However $7500 is a lot of money and enough to sway me to whatever may be my close second. As you do your research I would be aware of tax credits for manufacturers and possibly when they will be reduced.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you live in the sticks, you have to be a little more careful with the wildlife...they don't hear you coming...

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have an electric-ish car - a RAV4 Prime. Wife loves it, considers it her dream car. We're fairly rural and going anywhere requires a lot of miles so the range anxiety factor was real. While we appreciate what Elon/Tesla have done for the electrification of vehicles, we're not huge fans of the cars themselves and range of less than 300-400mi is a sticking point for us. That said, the plug-in hybrid gets us advantages of both and has been good thus far. I'm waiting to see more longer-term reviews of the F150 Lightning as it pertains to reliability and range. If that's looking good, I may go that route when replacing my current gas guzzler.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have an electric-ish car - a RAV4 Prime. Wife loves it, considers it her dream car. We're fairly rural and going anywhere requires a lot of miles so the range anxiety factor was real. While we appreciate what Elon/Tesla have done for the electrification of vehicles, we're not huge fans of the cars themselves and range of less than 300-400mi is a sticking point for us. That said, the plug-in hybrid gets us advantages of both and has been good thus far. I'm waiting to see more longer-term reviews of the F150 Lightning as it pertains to reliability and range. If that's looking good, I may go that route when replacing my current gas guzzler.
I have been looking at PHEVs too (plug in Hybrid electric vehicles) - and the Rav 4 Prime is at the top of the list.

@adrianp89 why do Tesla's not qualify - is it something to do with the number of vehicles sold?

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been looking at PHEVs too (plug in Hybrid electric vehicles) - and the Rav 4 Prime is at the top of the list.

@adrianp89 why do Tesla's not qualify - is it something to do with the number of vehicles sold?
We've had the RAV4P since January 2021 and have put nearly 30k miles on it. We fill up (12 gallons, mind you) once a month and charge at home overnight right from the 120v socket. It takes 12 hours to charge, but it's not been a problem yet. I wish my wife's current employer had charging like her last one did, that'd be the icing on the cake.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Not Adrian, but yes Tesla exceeded the 200k limitation by manufacturer back in 2018 (the credit was then phased out over time).

There was discussion of removing this limit under Biden's BBB plan, but that was derailed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

@thefortunes covered it. I am not sure of the exact limits and rules, but something I would do my homework on.

After owning both an EV and PHEV, I prefer the PHEV model.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do like the Toyota bZ4x, but that is a unicorn right now. Leg room in the rear is a little less than the Rav4..... The FWD model has better charging speed than the AWD model, but the only FWD models are in California....thats a bit of a hike! LOL

JASmith

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 2 cents, having bought a Model Y at the end of 2020 after election results put the writing on the wall that fuel prices would be going through the roof.

The Model Y is awesome. Budget 2x your charging allowance for tires. You will need to! other than filling the maintenance fluid reservoir (windshield washer fluid) and rotating the tires once, we've put on 27k miles with effectively no maintenance. It's cheap as hell to drive, and surprisingly fun, although the lack of noise does make it soul-less, while being fast, so that takes some getting used to.

We chose the Tesla route because of the charging network and best in class range. The charging network is something that is definitely not to be overlooked. If you want to travel 500 miles in a day, which we've had to do on occasion, you need rapid charging. No other manufacturer has the network, so the choice was simple in that regard.

I'm definitely not an EVangelist either - my other vehicle is an F-350 PowerStroke - the boat has to get places too!
I could, however, see the diesel electric hybrids being "the way of the future" potentially. Check out Edison Motors who is working on this for big rig hauling, they are on to something.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm dying for a plug in hybrid F150 with 100 miles of range on battery. That would meet nearly all of my daily use requirements, but still allow me the freedom to travel and own a single truck. The new lightning looks awesome, but I would expect its electric range while towing to leave me a razor thin margin for the furthest of our usual boat ramps. Probably in the next 12-24 months I'll retire it to just do truck stuff and pick up an EV for daily driving, but it'd be nice to only have to have one vehicle.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm dying for a plug in hybrid F150 with 100 miles of range on battery. That would meet nearly all of my daily use requirements, but still allow me the freedom to travel and own a single truck. The new lightning looks awesome, but I would expect its electric range while towing to leave me a razor thin margin for the furthest of our usual boat ramps. Probably in the next 12-24 months I'll retire it to just do truck stuff and pick up an EV for daily driving, but it'd be nice to only have to have one vehicle.
I'm right there with you. I was hoping that Toyota would introduce a PHEV option for the Tundra with its redesign; maybe that'll come later.