• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

When to take delivery of 1st boat

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm trying to decide when to take delivery of my 1st ever boat. I have the price worked out with the dealer and my options are to take delivery in the next couple weeks or next spring. I'm in the Raleigh area. If I take delivery this year then I'm guessing I have about 4 weeks or so left in the boating season to practice the basics (signed up for a boating safety course being held next week) and taking the my hyper-excited kids out a few times. What are the pro's if I take delivery in the Spring? What am I not thinking of?

Thx in advance for your thoughts.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Storage costs over the winter can be heavy. If you take delivery in the spring, will they store no charge?

Also gives you a full year to line up best possible price / value for off-season storage vs scrambling at the last minute to find one this year. Most likely, all the best options are fully subscribed for this coming winter.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thx, GTBRMC. I will be storing this in my garage so there won't be a storage cost. Dealer was willing to keep in wraps over the winter, but if I'm gonna be making payments I want to use it asap.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I say take it and learn the ropes and enjoy the rest of the year. You may end up getting extra weekends with nice weather later in the year where you can use it more than you had planned. Have some fun, put an orange stoltz roller on the trailer for your first Mod, have fun first 10 hours then change oil and filter and put some stabilizer in with your gas and then it can rest all winter in your garage. I uncover and sit in mine sometimes in the winter :) Enjoy and Congrats! We have loved ours (2015 SX210) and had so much fun and haven't looked back!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When does the warranty period start? If it starts now, you might as well use it. If it starts when you take delivery waiting until spring extends things out.

(If it were me, I'd want her home so I could play with her though. :))

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only four more weeks in N. Carolina? I'm up in upstate New York, and I plan to boat for another four weeks at least. If the outside temp is above mid 50s it's a go. The supercharged engine preforms way better in the cold anyways. Get that boat asap :winkingthumbsup"

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm trying to decide when to take delivery of my 1st ever boat. I have the price worked out with the dealer and my options are to take delivery in the next couple weeks or next spring. I'm in the Raleigh area. If I take delivery this year then I'm guessing I have about 4 weeks or so left in the boating season to practice the basics (signed up for a boating safety course being held next week) and taking the my hyper-excited kids out a few times. What are the pro's if I take delivery in the Spring? What am I not thinking of?

Thx in advance for your thoughts.
I agree that even while in your garage for the winter you can sit in it become very familiar with all the storage, switches, etc... even play around with stereo upgrades at your leisure..

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree that even while in your garage for the winter you can sit in it become very familiar with all the storage, switches, etc... even play around with stereo upgrades at your leisure..
And you can begin making all the MODS you want to make!!!! LOL

What boat are you looking to get?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You could try negotiating with your dealer to take delivery now, and let them button it up for the winter for you. I was at a boat show last weekend, and more than one dealer was willing to deliver it now, and then winterize/store til the spring.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I boat year round here in Eastern NC.
Since moving here we have been out at least once in every winter month.
I dont winterize or store my boat. It is ready to go 365 days a year

jsimanskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get it as soon as you can and enjoy! My boat is in Wisconsin and the season already feels like it's running short. Looking at my calendar, I'm kind of bummed to think this weekend may be my last one out for this year ...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Should have already taken it home. I took mine home same day we made the deal.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are keeping it in your garage take delivery asap

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take it now, shake it down and I'm sure you'll have a list for the dealer to fix over the winter. This way you'll be ready to hit the water for a full season right away.

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When does the warranty period start?
Dealer said the warranty would start when I pick her up. So I have control on when the clock starts.

What boat are you looking to get?
Wifey has ok'd the AR195. Dealer quoted me a nice price on a 2018.

I boat year round here in Eastern NC.
Since moving here we have been out at least once in every winter month.
I dont winterize or store my boat. It is ready to go 365 days a year
Wow ... thx, been in the area for 2 full winters but this helps me knowing I have time past October to take the boat out on the lake (which is literally 5 minutes from us).

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot better about taking delivery asap.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dealer said the warranty would start when I pick her up. So I have control on when the clock starts.

Wifey has ok'd the AR195. Dealer quoted me a nice price on a 2018.

Wow ... thx, been in the area for 2 full winters but this helps me knowing I have time past October to take the boat out on the lake (which is literally 5 minutes from us).

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot better about taking delivery asap.
Which lake are you close to? We live in Banbury Woods in N. Raleigh (be sure to put your location in your profile).

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Man you are overthinking this one big time....
1. Buy boat
2. Get boat
3. Use boat

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We live very close to Falls Lake. About 5 minutes from the Falls Lake Park office off of Creedmoor road.

Which lake are you close to? We live in Banbury Woods in N. Raleigh (be sure to put your location in your profile).

I hear you, brother. It's the 1st boat for me - never grew up around them. Totally new experience but that will change in about 2-3 weeks.

Man you are overthinking this one big time....
1. Buy boat
2. Get boat
3. Use boat

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For me, I know I am at the price I want to buy at, when the owner of the dealership is pissed and makes ultimatums.
But the "Golden Rule" will always be the final determinate with a dealer you want to work with. (He who has the Gold, Rules.)

I bought my '16 242X in Nov of '15. I mostly walked by the sales guy, after the first look at the boat. The best deal for me, will come from the owner. He has 'wins' I can leverage that the sales-guy doesn't understand or care about. (24's are not primary boat here, volume discounts for dealers based on volume sold, taxes,...)

-Once the owner knew I was serious AND that I had the same boat offers from other dealerships, (I bought my last yamaha from a dealer in NJ. I live in VA.) I wrote a check for all in price (covers, taxes, all misc costs,..., ) handed it to him, and let him decide if he was going to say no. (3K under list, including taxes, tags, mooring cover, everything, ....)

Also asked him to wait to record the sale (warranty purposes) until after the Jan boat show specials are announced. I got an extra year of YES and it didn't cost either of us money.

I do use my boat during the Winter too, and store it at home-