• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who has cut the Cable TV cord...what are you using now?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Dean P, that is strange. Perhaps try a USB Gigabit adapter?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I assume you are plugging into the same cable?
Same cable. I took the CAT from PC and connected to Laptop. The speed jump to 400. Sucks paying for something I can't get. Spectrum had no answer either. It's a mystery. My laptop is happy...:)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you run the diagnostics on it? It also looks like it is the 2nd adapter - there is a (2) that may suggest you have two device adapters running? Lastly, just because the adapter is gigabit doesn't mean the pc hardware is (it is unusual that it thinks the hw is though). One of the recent windows updates in our office totally fouled up a bunch of my staff's ethernet adapters, we had to uninstall and reinstall them....they were all running slow.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the end of the year we said goodbye to DirecTV after an increase from $150 to $200 a month for four TVs with premium movie channels.

We chose to use Hulu for Discovery, History and local channels. We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime which we are using now.

We find that we have more choice than we did before and have no shortage of content that we enjoy watching.

We will be buying some HBO series for $20 a season instead of $15 a month.

The only thing I do not like about Hulu is the limited DVR storage. I may switch to YouTube TV once they add Discovery and History.

Also https://curiositystream.com/ has a lot of great content. I subscribed to a ridiculously inexpensive contract with them.

very similar experience here. the storage is weak... but so far. it hasnt really hurt us...

I do NOT miss Direct tv.. happened across a couple good shows as of late..... Were binging brooklyn 9-9 right now HILARIOUS.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hey found another negative today.....

Ice storm causing internet outage.... = no tv lol

could be way worse, but worth noting.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
hey found another negative today.....

Ice storm causing internet outage.... = no tv lol

could be way worse, but worth noting.
Since we had AT&T Uverse, whenever we lost TV, we also lost internet.....which is typical for most Cable TV users (their internet is delivered on the same cable).

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
how do you guys get around the 2 screen streaming simultaneously? This is the issue we are dealing with.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how do you guys get around the 2 screen streaming simultaneously? This is the issue we are dealing with.
The blue package from sling allows for streaming on 3 devices simultaneously. I don't know about the other services.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The blue package from sling allows for streaming on 3 devices simultaneously. I don't know about the other services.
hulu tv live you can pay 15/mth for unlimited streams. (7 people in the house) I am concerned about discovery channel though. Cox cable just increased my bill (promotions) we are gonna make a change, most likely. They suppose call me back and tell me if they will honor a rate that was offered during a chat session with them.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hulu tv live you can pay 15/mth for unlimited streams. (7 people in the house) I am concerned about discovery channel though. Cox cable just increased my bill (promotions) we are gonna make a change, most likely. They suppose call me back and tell me if they will honor a rate that was offered during a chat session with them.
I ended up going with hulu live with the unlimited streams. We like it so far. Some things are better than cable . For 1 the bill, secondly if we lose connection the DVR is off site so we dont lose that and every thing is so much cleaner on the mantle20190220_151818.jpg

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
if we lose connection the DVR is off site so we dont lose that
The flip side of this is that if you lose your connection you can't watch anything...if the DVR was onsite, you could watch what it had recorded. This is where downloading the occasional item plays in (but luckily we don't lose connection often)

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The flip side of this is that if you lose your connection you can't watch anything...if the DVR was onsite, you could watch what it had recorded. This is where downloading the occasional item plays in (but luckily we don't lose connection often)
True. Our DVR would disconnect all the time. Go to the cox store and swap it out when it started to happen a lot. I guess if the internet goes out. We can just fo outside like we used when we were kids.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Tons of great options mentioned in this thread for all walks and tech!

Been mulling over dumping the cable tv box for a while and dragging my feet mostly because of the convenience the Admiral required for dvr'ing.

I've been dabbling in iptv options for the past couple years with different providers and resellers as i was sick of paying so many fees (box rental and dvr fees, peg, regional sports, broadcast) and bundled channel costs (espn alone is like 25 bucks of the tv bill; big 10 is another costly channel that I never watch) that were difficult to avoid. Plus Comcast neutering their cloud dvr feature and always increasing prices.. Finally managed to talk my better half into cutting the cord recently..

Now I have as follows:
Comcast 400/20
Linksys WRT3200ACM flashed with ddwrt
ExpressVPN client configured on router
Motorola MB8600 Docsis 3.1
ViewHD VHD-1x2MN3D splitter (1080p hdcp compatible)
AverMedia Ezrecorder 130 (ER130) PVR w/2TB usb 3.0 Seagate HDD (basically a digital vcr)
Gears w/Mayfair Guide Pro on Firesticks (vpn required)
CinemaHD on firesticks for on demand
(vpn required)
Klowdtv
Netflix 1080p (admiral requirement)
Prime

This pretty much gives me all sports (NFL, NBA, nhl, mlb, not that I watch all of that) regionals (must have fox sports sun for boat and watersports stuff), UK channels, boxing, mma.

Granted, this is definitely not as convenient to set up depending on technical leanings, but avoids the price gouging of the traditional cable tv services and provides pretty much near limitless options for whatever I or the fam could want to watch. So far so good!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The recent price hike on Hulu Live w/no ads is quite annoying. These streaming services are starting to approach the cost of cable (which I suppose was bound to happen). I'm on the hunt now for a service that has an excellent on demand catalog, with or without live TV. The only thing I really watch on live tv is sports, but I just recently ran a dedicated coax to the attic to support a future antenna, so that need may be taken care of.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm on the hunt now for a service that has an excellent on demand catalog, with or without live TV.
If you have a firestick/fireTV, a vpn, and don't mind side loading a couple apps, CinemaAPK/CinemaHD has a decent selection of on demand content. I picked it up via the Filelinked app, but I'm sure there are many ways to pull it down.

20190227_093042.jpg20190227_093204.jpg

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The recent price hike on Hulu Live w/no ads is quite annoying. These streaming services are starting to approach the cost of cable (which I suppose was bound to happen). I'm on the hunt now for a service that has an excellent on demand catalog, with or without live TV. The only thing I really watch on live tv is sports, but I just recently ran a dedicated coax to the attic to support a future antenna, so that need may be taken care of.
Philo is still very inexpensive and seems to have all the desirable channels. It sucks for channel surfing, but but its great for catching current episodes of things if you use the cloud DVR feature.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It’s Amazon prime day.

The 4K fire stick and most amazon devices are on pretty good sales.

I just ordered the amazon recast ($129 today and tomorrow)

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It’s Amazon prime day.

The 4K fire stick and most amazon devices are on pretty good sales.

I just ordered the amazon recast ($129 today and tomorrow)
Thanks for the reminder. Just ordered an additional firestick. Dog ate the remote on my 4k stick and replacement was about $30. Cheap stick with remote is only $15.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length