• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Who has cut the Cable TV cord...what are you using now?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm ready to dump U-Verse and just get a spectrum Internet connection and TV over the internet. What are you guys using for both HW and SW?

I have an old Apple TV, a New Sony Smart TV, a PS4, PS3

The Sony Smart TVs seem really freakin limited in their Apps...very disappointed there! Wondering if I should get:

1. Amazon Fire TV (2017) $69.99
  2. Apple TV 4K. $179.00. ...
  3. Google Chromecast. $35.00. ...
  4. Roku Ultra $85
  5. ??
As for Software:
  1. I signed up for Youtube TV yesterday and just started playing with it...looks like it will solve our basic network viewing needs.
  2. Will probably get Netflix
  3. Will likely get HBOGO once Game of Thrones starts back up again.

Any thoughts on what else????

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Roku and Netflix. Have Amazon too, but hardly watch it. Cut the cord around 8 years ago. Roku is the best, but even the older ones are fine. Chromecast is a pain.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dropped cable about 7 years ago. Haven't looked back.

I run Samsung TV's in 3 rooms (basement, living room, Master Bedroom). Google Chromecast connected to Master, PS3 in the basement, Living Room has a "smart TV". Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Google Play Movies for streaming in the living room. OTA antenna in the attic for local channels distributed throughout house. HomeRun HD in the basement that converts OTA signal to home network. Windows Media Center in Living Room on an older Lenovo desktop PC serves as a DVR for OTA content, streamed from the HD HomeRun over a dedicated CAT6 connection. Wireless keyboard/trackpad (Logitech K400) controls that.

This is a broad overview. There is whole home audio running behind this as well. Ask any specific questions and I'll do what I can to help.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u What are the network speeds necessary to support a lifestyle w/o cable?
This is my internet...
upload_2018-7-31_14-58-41.png

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have been wanting to cut the cord for years. But for some reason ATT (the only provider in my area) refuses to run fiber. I have 1.5 DSL. I have to use my cell phones mobile hotspot to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A good option would be to use a Roku or Alexa stick with something like Sling TV to get channels you are used to.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a combination of FireTV Cubes and FireTVs. Hulu Live for live TV and sports and Netflix. Subscribe occasionally to HBONOW and Showtime if there is a show I want to watch.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u What are the network speeds necessary to support a lifestyle w/o cable?
This is my internet...
View attachment 80222

--
That will get you a single HD stream from the major services (netflix/Amazon/Hulu/etc). Multiple HD streams are possible, but unlikely unless it's a robust and consistent 20MB down. 50-75MG down is a good place to start with multiple HD streams. Really depends on your usage otherwise as well.

For instance, we ran for a LONG time on 20Mb down. I setup QoS (Quality of Service) rules on the router that gave priority to the SmartTV. This made sure that the TV got first crack at the bandwidth available, and other devices got secondary access. This firmed up the single HD stream, and rarely was noticeable on other devices. Since SPectrum was giving away 200Mb service to new customers I called and said I was cancelling because I thought loyal customers should get the benefits first. They upped my speed for 24 months for no charge. We'll have to see how that works out in about 19 months when that free service is up.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah...Spectrum is offering me the 200mb service over my crappy 18mb AT&T. I'm ready to make the switch....and will do it while my wife and daughter are out of town! EVIL GRIN

Just need to be sure the system works easily once they are back!

I have Amazon Alexa's in every room, not sure if any of these devices are Alexa enabled?

Lextacy03

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wife and I cut the cord 5 years ago. We have several Roku devices with the SLing TV package for Live TV. Cost me $ 60.00 a month for sling compared to $ 245 a month with Comcast.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think we're up to $20/mo for Netflix. Average about 1 movie purchase a month too in the winter at $15-ish each. We get to keep those and download to his tablet, so that's nice.

Honestly the hardest part initially was going without DVR. Once I had the media server setup and running, and we could DVR the local channels, we hardly noticed we didn't have cable anymore.

Live sporting events is also not a thing for us. No idea how to get those that are on like ESPN and such. I follow MotoGP which is a subscription based stream anywhere in the US (they aren't on cable). She loosly follows the UofL basketball and football teams. We usually go to the pub or a friends house to watch those games if they are important.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have Amazon Alexa's in every room, not sure if any of these devices are Alexa enabled?
We removed Alexas from two rooms, and replaced with FireTV Cubes. Basically an Echo Dot combined with a FireTV, which can also control your TV. "Alexa, Turn on the TV", turns on TV, Soundbar, and launches the Fire TV interface. Love it.

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I canceled cable last month and relatively happy. My setup:
  • Comcast for internet
  • XBOX or Amazon Fire TV Sticks
  • Hulu (No Commercials) + Live TV
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Direct Now HBO (from my AT&T Phone plan).

The main room TV has XBOX One as the Media Center. Bedrooms and media/theater room have firesticks. I am a fan of the firesticks and like that when we travel, I can grab one and plug it in wherever we are and have same service. I also like the Alexa interface and it will search across my apps for the show I am interested in. It does not natively support YouTube or Vudu but found a way to install the android apps and those seem to work fine.

Hulu took a bit to get used to but I am satisfied. It will be nice to stream games on the boat come football season.

Direct Now HBO from my AT&T phone plan seems limited. DOes not show all episodes of some shows. For example, Defiant Ones episode 1 says I need to subscribe.

-Loren

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Although we still have Directv...seriously considering ditching the dish. Had it since 1995. $150/mo. too much for what we get from it. We do have a digital antenna and pickup all major networks about 20 US channels and maybe 8 or 9 Canadian channels, only 1 french. We have a Samsung smart tv and watch a lot of Netflix, Amazon prime, YouTube and, if you want to pay for it HBOnow. Only thing I would miss is NESN, Bruins games. Only thing she would miss is Cooking channel and Food Network, but I think she has a way to download her stuff. Great timely thread.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will continue with Direct TV. The price never goes up if you know how to bargain; the discounts pile up if you ask; 3 DVR's in the house to store it all to watch commercial free; local tv channels; all the live sports; no boxes or slings or plug ins or switching around; and netflix for $7.99 a month to watch Breaking Bad (best show ever); Shameless; Last Chance U. All for about 60 bucks a month...oops it's time to go bitch for another discount!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Similar as @2kwik4u we also chopped the cord back in 2006. We are a Google and Samsung ecosystem and run Google Wifi along with Google Home and Chromecast. Our primary device is PS for video viewing, out of all things I haven't broke down and upgraded to a smart TV yet... I also have several IFTTT scenarios set up for priority internet devices and integrated into the home automation with our cameras, outlets, thermostat, lights, in addition to using geo fencing and other GPS based triggers. As far as video services; Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and when the need arises we use the PS Vue (no subscription, like youtube red) For sports we IP redirect using our Chromebox by Asus (not Chromecast) this eliminates market blackouts, you can find most games online somewhere. Since Comcast throws in cable with our internet we use the login for all the apps or online streaming, Fox, HBO etc. we have no cable box tops, all internet based. With not having a smart TV we relay on the PS to do that heavy lifting, for a couple of reasons, it's a hard wired line, so it doesn't eat Wifi, processor is MUCH faster so no lagging, it has a nice remote and hard-wired directly into my audio system.

As far as video services, it really is kind of a preference. It's becoming a VERY fragmented category with Disney now breaking away from Netflix, eventually you'll see more and more networks and media companies becoming independent. It's ALL about content, if you can't live without the content from Netflix (which is INSANE how much original content they're pumping out) or any other provider, that would be where I would start. You can't really go wrong with Hulu & Netflix to start. As mentioned before, if you hunt, fish, motoGP, ANY category is offering a channel or service.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
One option is to find a parent/friend that has a direct tv/att/TWC account and piggyback off their username and password. If they are wiling to share you can watch whatever you want through almost any app (not premium). Has worked for us for a couple years now. Thanks Dad!

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
One option is to find a parent/friend that has a direct tv/att/TWC account and piggyback off their username and password. If they are wiling to share you can watch whatever you want through almost any app (not premium). Has worked for us for a couple years now. Thanks Dad!
They are getting smarter with this as they are becoming IP address based and allowing a certain number. We've tried a couple different times and it's been IP based indicating a 2 tier login from the home device. If it works Hell yeah!!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
They are getting smarter with this as they are becoming IP address based and allowing a certain number. We've tried a couple different times and it's been IP based indicating a 2 tier login from the home device. If it works Hell yeah!!
Honestly... I am blown away that they haven't got smart on this yet. I live about 60 miles from dad and haven't had any issue yet with Direct TV. if it happens I will be taking all the advice from above!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am almost ready to cut the cord too. Anything built into a tv for smart streaming features sucks IMO as they are underpowered and unsupported for updates. Buy external boxes, apple, roku, fire, windows machines whatever. We spend about 50% of our media consuption on boxes like these through netflix, amazon and the network apps. Another 25% watching local live tv through direct tv that is available OTA and the final 25% watching cable or sports programming through Direct TV. It is that last 25% that is hard give up.

They make stand alone DVRs for ota tv that are relatively cheap. My question is how the heck do you watch all of the college and pro sports that you want without having the packages through Direct TV?

I have gigabit fiber with 50 to 500 mbps actual throughput on my wireless network depending on which room. I also have gigabit cat6 to my media closet and office currently but can pull more cat6 if needed.