• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Who releives the load from their trailer tires for the winter, how and why?

Worth noting: Where I am the boat typically gets stored for 7 straight months...many of you in more moderate climates store for much shorter winters.

Similarly, when I accepted an expat role in China for much of 2011 and missed the entire 2011 boating season ( :mad: ), I made sure she was up on jack stands for what turned out to be nearly 19 months of continuous storage.

I've owned pwcs and boats for over 25 years and never put the trailers on jacks but also never had any issues with the tires (or suspensions) as a result. Off season storage is around 5 months for me in n.cal, if I needed to store the pwcs or boat for more than 12 months I would consider putting the trailers on stands if I didn't decide to sell the boat or pwcs first.

I don't place on jackstands now, but I did the first year with the dawg. Pretty much for reasons listed. I just didn't see a benefit. And while it may not take too long to raise the frame and install the stands, it is a PIA, and then I can't move the boat easily when I need to. A tire that sits for much time at all, even overnight, has some retained flattening and will take a few revolutions to round it out again. I notice this on the airplane when it gets cold outside, after the airplane just sits overnight and we have the first flight of the day. Every revolution has a bump on that flight. You may not notice it much in the back, with multiple wheels that balance out the condition after pushback, but the nose wheels turn, so they pretty much stay together, and you get both flatspots at the same time. It can be hard on the back up front! lol

I have never put any of my trailers on jack stands (boat or utility). I have noticed on my trailer that the tires are losing air and there are small cracks on the edges. I suspect the tires are cheap so I may have to replace them before long. My utility trailer is much older and has the same tires the day I got it. There is no sign of any issues. I will watch the trailer tires closely this winter and see how they do.

I didn't before because my boat was in a community storage barn and would potentially need to be moved after I dropped it off. Put my boat on a lift this year. Don't expect to use the trailer much so up went the trailer, frame on blocks and covered everything I could! image.jpg

Nope. If anything the sun damages them more. Cam.

sounds like a job for Myth Busters.

Oh I forgot. Never, and no problems.

sounds like a job for Myth Busters.

That's actually a good idea.

Only question is this: How could they leverage this test so that they blow something up with C4 at the end of the experiment?

Reactions: 007
If we engage Mythbusters it would have to be in regards to Plug Blow Outs! LOL They'd get them to blow!!!!

And I don't relieve myself on my trailer...thats just gross...especially not a load! :winkingthumbsup"

Took all of 5 minutes with a cinder block and a piece of wood under the axle. Tires now spin freely as they sit 1 inch off the cold ground for the next 6 months. Does it help? Is it needed? Not sure. What I do know is it cost me nothing but 5 minutes of my time.

Attachments

• IMG_20141102_132756_166.jpg
    IMG_20141102_132756_166.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back