• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why do Pontoons take so long to launch and retrieve?

Sherwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am generally curious. I have only been involved in launching center consoles, bassboats, jon boats and kayaks.
Every single time I see someone taking forever at the ramp it's a pontoon or kayak.
I know why the kayaks take forever is because they don't load their crap on the kayaks on the trailer or truck..
I don't really understand that either. Even when I launch my yak from my hitch and haul I have everything on there first. I put my poles on and bungie them in.
I watched Pontoons struggle enough times to wonder why it takes so long. I have driven Pontoons. They where always rentals, and on the water already.

Last edited:
From my view of the launch, it seems harder to get it to sit properly, and the only way to move those pigs is to refloat it.

Pontoon owners also don't strike me as a group, as the kind of people who are willing/able to tinker or modify the trailer to make it easier to retrieve

Still drunk when they launch and plastered when they get back to the ramp...

I’ve pondered the same, but not just pontoons. Launching and retrieving a boat for some people is a high stress affair, some only do it twice a year, and if one doesn’t use their boat very much then those folks don’t get the practice either. Pontoon boats have a lot of windage with no keel and just the outboard sticking down in the water so they get blown around pretty easy, sound familiar? Ever look at how a pontoon sits on the trailer? Not all that forgiving, when I load my boat in high wind I can come at the trailer at a pretty sharp angle-slowly-and let the boat ride the bunks until it straightens itself out, that can’t be done with a toon. I watched one pontoon get completely sideways on the trailer one day, pandemonium ensued.

Combine the above with being impaired, handling like pigs at low speed and a lack of talent and you get a slow to load boat.

I’ve pondered the same, but not just pontoons. Launching and retrieving a boat for some people is a high stress affair, some only do it twice a year, and if one doesn’t use their boat very much then those folks don’t get the practice either. Pontoon boats have a lot of windage with no keel and just the outboard sticking down in the water so they get blown around pretty easy, sound familiar? Ever look at how a pontoon sits on the trailer? Not all that forgiving, when I load my boat in high wind I can come at the trailer at a pretty sharp angle-slowly-and let the boat ride the bunks until it straightens itself out, that can’t be done with a toon. I watched one pontoon get completely sideways on the trailer one day, pandemonium ensued.

Combine the above with being impaired, handling like pigs at low speed and a lack of talent and you get a slow to load boat.

lol, great synopsis

Back