• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why props are dangerous

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My uncle, this past weekend, went to go test out his outboard at the local ramp. During the test he managed to fall out of the back of the boat and his left foot was caught in the prop. Luckily someone saw him go down and was able to help him but the damage was bad enough that he lost his foot from midway below the knee and down.

He’s doing well now and adjusting to his new life through lots of physical therapy. He’s very thankful to be alive. This was a pretty freak accident and I don’t have any more details on why it happened or how his foot sustained so much damage that it called for amputation, but if you can cause that much damage with a small outboard, then count me out as ever owning a non jet or non onboard ever again.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sad story @anmut
How old a man is he?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow!
Glad there was help around...
Best wishes for his recovery.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our thoughts are with you. Hopefully he doesn't lose his joy of boating along with this accident.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very sorry to hear that. I had prop boats for a very long time and so did everybody around me. They’ve always scared me and had a few close calls but nothing like your uncle. Godspeed for speedy recovery.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is just horrible.
I will take the chance of sucking a rope up anyday instead of getting messed up by a prop

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best wishes for him in his recovery.

But we in jets should not be overly confident. Yes, we don't have a prop, but there are lots of other ways to get hurt or to hurt your crew out there.

I think I'll go re read that drowning post pinned on the first page...

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So sorry to hear about your Uncle. I hope he's back in a boat soon and enjoying life once again. Best wishes for a successful, speedy recovery.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is a scary thought having all those blades spinning at the back of your boat.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is awful. So sorry to hear about your uncle. Boats in general are fairly dangerous, in my opinion. When we sucked up the rope for our tube on our very first outing with our SX210 it pull the tube itself in so quickly and so tightly against the side of the boat that any person in the way could easily have been killed. Get a loop of that rope around your leg or arm in the water and have the rope get pulled into the intake and you are in very serious trouble. My point? Don't get complacent about engine/drive-related danger just because you have no external props.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@anmut , sorry to hear about your uncle and hope he has a speedy physical and mental recovery.

At this point in my life and boating experience, I would not tow people with a traditional/prop boat nor be towed by one.

It seems like a read about at least one tragic accident every year regarding boats.
Off the top of my head: 1. The MD from New York who was killed when he was run over by his own boat (driven by a family member) after he fell wakeboarding or water skiing. 2. An SF Bay Area man and father who was ending A boys weekend Out in Lake Tahoe on a rental and fell in at the dock, got chopped by the prop (leg amputated at the hip) and died on the dock Despite immediate care from MDs on scene. 3. A grand child falls forward into the water off of the front of pontoon boat, she dies and grandpa loses both legs trying to save her. My point being boats are dangerous whether they have props or not. The second you forget could be the second you or someone you love suffers a life changing or life ending injury.