• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Still Can Not Go Over 22 MPH!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
My guess is the supercharger clutch as well if it started with the rouge wave. If it needs replaced, I'd install a Fizzle Factory Blow Off Valve Kit and the Riva Supercharger Shaft Upgrade Kit at the same time!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also if you had a boost guage on the boat's intake system or put one on it you would know immediately if the super charger is the issue

Last edited:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
S/C seems like the most likely culprit.
Definitely invest in a blow off valve. It will keep any unnecessary damage from occurring on the clutch.
The S/C clutch is just a one way sprag and when they unhook abruptly and slam back engaged it causes damage. The blowoff valve will release the pressure out of the system instead or it pushing it back to the S/C

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That reminds me of another issue some people have had - the pressurized hose from the supercharger to the intercooler can come loose and pressure drops off cutting horsepower. Check that hose to ensure it's secure and airtight or hasn't fallen off.
That’s the first thing the mechanic thought it was. I’m pretty sure he checked the SC, but I will call him to see.

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That’s where we purchased our boat, that place is the worst! I wouldn’t let them touch our boat! Worst bunch of liars I’ve ever met in my life. Told us the boat would be checked over before we purchased and they did nothing. I spent an entire year finding stuff missing or ‘rigged“ on the boat. They totally took advantage of my wife and I not knowing anything about boating and I wonder if they lied about even having a 2020 boat for us that we originally ordered. Never wanted to get into this here, but since you brought it up, thought I’d set the record straight on that. Case in point. We bought a Highlander from Hendricks Honda, and the salesperson months after the sale has contacted me to see if I’m happy about our purchase. Chatlee on the other hand, has never called or contacted us. What was very telling was the sales person did not even come out until we gave them the check! He was acting squirrelly when he did finally show up and now I know why. Here’s what kind of dealership this is. After asking on multiple occasions what kind of hook up do we need for the trailer, he just said the standard hook up. I sent pictures, he said that was fine.
The day we went to pick it up. I said this is not the same plug, he said, no problem, you would be fine to tow this back without hooking it up until you get it home, people do it all the time. I was angry at this point. I said, we didn’t just spend 40K to hook up a boat with a trailer with no lights or brakes! So we ended up having the boat delivered at 300 more dollars! This is how we were treated. Like I said, I wouldn’t let Chatlee ever touch our boat or recommend them for anything.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
To me this sounds like some kind of limp mode has activated and not displayed. The rpm you max out at is in line with a limp mode.

When you are cruising at planing speed and drop the hammer, what happens? Does it bog, change pitch, misfire or do nothing different?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To me this sounds like some kind of limp mode has activated and not displayed. The rpm you max out at is in line with a limp mode.

When you are cruising at planing speed and drop the hammer, what happens? Does it bog, change pitch, misfire or do nothing different?
From the linked post from @fatboyroy the super charger is in op after hitting a rouge wave. Seems like a relatively simple fix. The OP just needs to break out a screw driver and see if the Super Charger wheel spins both ways, once that is done if that is the cause then a new clutch is in order. I’m not a huge fan of aftermarket engine mods, but in this case a pop off valve seems like a very worthwhile investment to prevent this from happening in the future.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That’s where we purchased our boat, that place is the worst! I wouldn’t let them touch our boat! Worst bunch of liars I’ve ever met in my life. Told us the boat would be checked over before we purchased and they did nothing. I spent an entire year finding stuff missing or ‘rigged“ on the boat. They totally took advantage of my wife and I not knowing anything about boating and I wonder if they lied about even having a 2020 boat for us that we originally ordered. Never wanted to get into this here, but since you brought it up, thought I’d set the record straight on that. Case in point. We bought a Highlander from Hendricks Honda, and the salesperson months after the sale has contacted me to see if I’m happy about our purchase. Chatlee on the other hand, has never called or contacted us. What was very telling was the sales person did not even come out until we gave them the check! He was acting squirrelly when he did finally show up and now I know why. Here’s what kind of dealership this is. After asking on multiple occasions what kind of hook up do we need for the trailer, he just said the standard hook up. I sent pictures, he said that was fine.
The day we went to pick it up. I said this is not the same plug, he said, no problem, you would be fine to tow this back without hooking it up until you get it home, people do it all the time. I was angry at this point. I said, we didn’t just spend 40K to hook up a boat with a trailer with no lights or brakes! So we ended up having the boat delivered at 300 more dollars! This is how we were treated. Like I said, I wouldn’t let Chatlee ever touch our boat or recommend them for anything.
That's impressive! I've never once heard a bad thing about them. A buddy of mine used to be a mechanic for them back in the day and even spoke highly of them. Ended up getting my boat from performance east and I've heard nothing but bad thing after bad thing about them. My sales guy was great, and the sales portion of my visit was nothing short of stellar.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As noted in this thread already, even for someone as inexperienced with boats as the OP, the operation of the SC clutch is extremely easy to check yourself. If you spend any time around SHO/SVHO powered watercraft or on forums dedicated to them, you'd know that if it's not getting to 6k RPMS then it's very likely that the SC clutch is gone. I, who am not a master mechanic, fairly easily replaced the SC clutch in the tiny engine bay of my FZ SHO without any issues (hint: buy the Riva SC clutch holding tool RY17040-SCT if you're going to do it), so you could probably do it yourself for about $600 in parts (probably $1k-1200 at a shop but I'm just guessing). I am surprised that none of the boat repair people you've taken it to have checked it though.

And to answer your video, yes you should repair it. The engine itself is running well and tests fine but losing the SC will not throw a code as it's mechanical and the engine runs fine without boost, it just can't accelerate.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
all those issues could be a cause, however I see that @DonJohnsMusic you are maxing out at pretty low RPMs. did you check the throttle cable? a couple of years ago I had the cable loosen up. check this video out as well.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Re-watched the video tried listening to the engine, I don't hear a drop in the rpms or the engine falling flat like it would if the SC was bad. I may be wrong, but I really think that the throttle cable adjustment could be your issue. Did you check that in the past? @DonJohnsMusic

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any progress on your issue?

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Re-watched the video tried listening to the engine, I don't hear a drop in the rpms or the engine falling flat like it would if the SC was bad. I may be wrong, but I really think that the throttle cable adjustment could be your issue. Did you check that in the past? @DonJohnsMusic
There wouldn't be a drop in RPMs or "engine falling flat" if the SC clutch goes out, it just stops accelerating past 5500-6000 rpms or so but the engine runs fine. Guy was last seen here on 2/15 and hasn't posted since 1/29 though so maybe he just got fed up and sold it. :confused:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There wouldn't be a drop in RPMs or "engine falling flat" if the SC clutch goes out, it just stops accelerating past 5500-6000 rpms or so but the engine runs fine. Guy was last seen here on 2/15 and hasn't posted since 1/29 though so maybe he just got fed up and sold it. :confused:
Well that would be sad…

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This string makes me happy I didn’t buy a supercharged Waverunner in 2021 and went with an NA version instead. I always assumed that the super charger adds to the power the engine already produces not that it would reduce the performance to below that of an NA of the supercharger failed. Yamaha charges about $2k more for Waverunners with superchargers. That alone should be reason enough to also add safety devices like blow off valves to protect the supercharger, IMHO anyway.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
This string makes me happy I didn’t buy a supercharged Waverunner in 2021 and went with an NA version instead. I always assumed that the super charger adds to the power the engine already produces not that it would reduce the performance to below that of an NA of the supercharger failed. Yamaha charges about $2k more for Waverunners with superchargers. That alone should be reason enough to also add safety devices like blow off valves to protect the supercharger, IMHO anyway.
My 2012 FZS has been running strong at 82+ (GPS speed) with an ET LB wheel, Fizzle IC and Stage 3 tune with only a single clutch replacement that I did myself. The SC'd SHO/SVHO powertrains are very strong and reliable but the clutch is a wear item, all in replacement cost me about $600 in parts and tools and a day in the garage and I'm no mechanic. I'd say you're missing out on some fun going NA but to each their own.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2012 FZS has been running strong at 82+ (GPS speed) with an ET LB wheel, Fizzle IC and Stage 3 tune with only a single clutch replacement that I did myself. The SC'd SHO/SVHO powertrains are very strong and reliable but the clutch is a wear item, all in replacement cost me about $600 in parts and tools and a day in the garage and I'm no mechanic. I'd say you're missing out on some fun going NA but to each their own.
There are times that I wish I would have bought the sc version but those are very rare. It still outruns my wife’s 2021 fx and most every other pwc on the water short of the supercharged ones, I usually pass those at the next gas station along the way. $600 isn’t much bad add it to the $2,200 including tax for the sc and the true price is a lot higher. Still disappointed to learn that if the super charger fails the ski won’t even go as fast as it’s NA counter-part. I just assumed it would act like an NA pwc.

anyway, I hope the OP discovers what’s causing his speed limit issue and that it’s easy and inexpensive to fix. 22mph may have been the top speed of a similarly sized boat years/decades ago but no today, not for as much as boats cost now. He dealership with cerified techs not being able to ID and address the problem is a concerning as well.

Michal

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Seen it both ways, fall flat and just not spool up. I guess it would depend on how deep the problem is, if that is even the problem.