• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Why should I not just tape my throttles together....WTF Throttlesync

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Three questions -
Why is the throttle sync so expensive?
Why is the throttle sync so hard to find?
Why should I not just connect my throttles together (tastefully) with a home grown solution?

Is there any reason I should have individual control of my throttles? Am I missing something?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
One guy did a set of 3d printed things that dnapped on. Works decent. I have a big hand and don't care.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why is the throttle sync so expensive?
Why is the throttle sync so hard to find?
Why should I not just connect my throttles together (tastefully) with a home grown solution?
  1. Its a niche product with not much demand
  2. It is easy to find - Here, but perhaps you are asking why more people don't make it (see #1 answer)
  3. You could...or as Speedling says...just grab the middle of both handles and push....I never saw the need for it.

But I will say that the E-Series single throttle option is nice....I boat most of the time with "Single Lever" turned on, and turn it off when I am around docks and I like being able to adjust one side or another.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
  1. Its a niche product with not much demand
  2. It is easy to find - Here, but perhaps you are asking why more people don't make it (see #1 answer)
  3. You could...or as Speedling says...just grab the middle of both handles and push....I never saw the need for it.
But I will say that the E-Series single throttle option is nice....I boat most of the time with "Single Lever" turned on, and turn it off when I am around docks and I like being able to adjust one side or another.
I got it but I guess I should have been more specific. Why a split double throttle? For what purpose? Am I not driving my boat as I should?

to address the list -
1. agree, niche product
2. all sold out (everywhere)
3. grab, both handles, big hands got it lol. (made me actually look at my hands)
4. wish the 212x had an E throttle

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently went from the single throttle of an SX190 to the dual throttle of the AR210. I may be in the minority, but I do not like having to constantly adjust both throttles to maintain the same rpm. I just installed a Throttle Sync this weekend (thank you @sstegh) and it made a huge difference. I will likely never use the throttles independently again.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently went from the single throttle of an SX190 to the dual throttle of the AR210. I may be in the minority, but I do not like having to constantly adjust both throttles to maintain the same rpm. I just installed a Throttle Sync this weekend (thank you @sstegh) and it made a huge difference. I will likely never use the throttles independently again.
Boom!
Single throttle adjustment is what I'm looking for....but not for $150.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like being able to operate them separately when docking, loading etc.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why a split double throttle? For what purpose? Am I not driving my boat as I should?
There are lots of situations when using just one throttle has an advantage:
  1. If you only want a little forward momentum...just push one throttle forward
  2. If you want to spin (albeit slowly) in place, put one throttle forward and one backwards
  3. Rotating faster (somewhat) in place....throttle up the outside engine only...with the helm hard over
I'm anal, but I never really cared if one engine was running a little different RPMs than the other....this seems to bother some people.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can guarantee you if you have played with that "X" boat you have like it is capable you will never want throttle sync. Full speed run, cut the wheel, engine back on turning side BOOM, BAM, WOW thats fun, lets do it again. Of course the articulating keel Yamaha put on and ruined the fun with these boats take away from the spinning, IMO

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
interesting on the dual throttles around the dock, I may have to play around.

I do understand what the OP is saying, because I thought the same, why would I want the engines out of sync, just one throttle for both engines.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't care if the throttle sticks are lined up. I just want the engines turning about the same speed when traveling in a straight line allowing for wind, current, steering angle etc.. This is usually easily accomplished beyond 7000rpm, in "no wake" mode, and at idle. It is in the 3-5k range that my boat agravates the hell out of me and requires constant tweaking of one or both throttles. Pretty sure there ain't no sync for that.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keeping in mind that I'm a tight-wad, I agree it's pricey. That said, I have it and I like it. I guess it just depends on how you drive your boat.

Like others, I keep mine unlocked around the dock for better maneuvering control and lock it once fully underway.

Size does matter and I appreciate the way the Throttlesync fits in my large-size hands.

At the end of the day it's a toy for a toy. I see things all the time that I'd personally never pay good money for - but they sell like hotcakes.

"Ya spends your money and ya takes your chances..."

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
interesting on the dual throttles around the dock, I may have to play around.

I do understand what the OP is saying, because I thought the same, why would I want the engines out of sync, just one throttle for both engines.
@Michael Rasmussen if you haven't used you engines above idle at the docks? My My My, don't be scared to, you have a lot more boat than you know.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
These throttles are loose, and by loose I mean move very easily. I've already blasted my neighbor's boat with water while docking (it was covered and they weren't there) :)

I use single lever and I only correct, or blip, but boat speed isn't above idle while docking.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Still in the boat! Works decent but when i started getting used to boating more i liked the dual throttles and playing around with them. I find i can get that exact speed easier too. Clips on easy! I just put in a cupholder.
thanks @Speedling I don't use mine too much, my throttles are not perfectly synced. I've printed out your sync thread rebuild to redo mine ...someday...

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone looking for the throttle sync Cycle Springs in Clearwater Florida has five or six sets left. I was just there getting extra spark plugs and oil for the Bimini trip I think they were $155