• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wifi Extender

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a net gear WiFi router plugged into the cable modem. .. That's.... . That's about as far as I know. Lol

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the more knowledgeable, on average do the mesh systems sacrifice bandwidth for coverage area?

I initially had connection issues setting up 4 wifi cameras with a decent (4 years old) router. First I added an extender thinking it might provide better coverage/connection, but it wasn't much of an improvement. The fix for me was a single high end router with more bandwidth, so now I have 4 high definition feeds (2 on 2.4ghz, 2 on 5ghz) that stay connected about 99.9% of the time.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For the more knowledgeable, on average do the mesh systems sacrifice bandwidth for coverage area?

I initially had connection issues setting up 4 wifi cameras with a decent (4 years old) router. First I added an extender thinking it might provide better coverage/connection, but it wasn't much of an improvement. The fix for me was a single high end router with more bandwidth, so now I have 4 high definition feeds (2 on 2.4ghz, 2 on 5ghz) that stay connected about 99.9% of the time.
This is the beauty of mesh systems....they improve bandwidth and coverage. The single point extenders can improve coverage, but your bandwidth and connection stability often suffer. (I just ordered the Google wifi mesh system....arrives on Friday!)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the beauty of mesh systems....they improve bandwidth and coverage. The single point extenders can improve coverage, but your bandwidth and connection stability often suffer. (I just ordered the Google wifi mesh system....arrives on Friday!)
@Julian Did you have a chance to try the new Google WiFi routers, yet?

I just switched to Spectrum, long story...
The modem I have (which is free/included, no rental fees) is the Arris TM1602A
upload_2018-8-12_15-58-2.png

The router (rental - the part I want to switch to my own) is Sagemcom Fast 5260
upload_2018-8-12_15-58-48.png

Right now, I'm getting fantastic speeds in the basement - right next to the router - 200+ Mbps for downloads (which is 10x faster than my old ATT DSL). However that seems to wane quickly... as you jump up the floors.

I was considering something like the WRT1900ACS that @Ilmmct installed, but not sure if a mesh system with 3 or so pieces would work best...

TIA!!!!

--

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@Julian Did you have a chance to try the new Google WiFi routers, yet?

I just switched to Spectrum, long story...
The modem I have (which is free/included, no rental fees) is the Arris TM1602A
View attachment 81275

The router (rental - the part I want to switch to my own) is Sagemcom Fast 5260
View attachment 81276

Right now, I'm getting fantastic speeds in the basement - right next to the router - 200+ Mbps for downloads (which is 10x faster than my old ATT DSL). However that seems to wane quickly... as you jump up the floors.

I was considering something like the WRT1900ACS that @Ilmmct installed, but not sure if a mesh system with 3 or so pieces would work best...

TIA!!!!

--

I am in the same situation. I have the same router, and I am having difficulty with the WiFi connection to my devices. Sometimes when they are a mere 20’ from the router with direct line of sight....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the same situation. I have the same router, and I am having difficulty with the WiFi connection to my devices. Sometimes when they are a mere 20’ from the router with direct line of sight....
I seem to have widely varying results, but it's only been a few hours, so maybe this is still settling out...

One thing I noticed, despite improved speeds the audio (in video recordings like youtube) is crackling...

I'm sure I want a new router, like what @boudin posted.

--

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski the Linksys is dual band ... the range of the 2.4GHz band is wider than the 5GHz:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=134478

I have my “close” devices on the 5GHz band (router spits out a separate SSID for each band) at my dock 200’ away, (I just stream WiFi music Pandora/Amazon) and for this distance I have to use the 2.4gGHz network/band/SSID. I am not dealing with walls or hardened surfaces to reach my dock ... just glass windows so this helps my range on the 2.4GHz network.

I hated having the range extender because it was flaky (likely brand dependent) and inserted another failure point (diagnostics, reboots, power requirement etc). Enjoying the new Linksys so far no issues other the need to be aware of the respective Band limitations.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski the google wifi mesh system ROCKS!!! When the devices support it, my wifi is often/usually faster than my inbound internet connection with not a single drop yet! I LOVE IT (Google you can send me my royalty check now LOL)

I got 380mbps between one Wifi node an my 4k Apple TV! Most simply max out at the devices max capability.

Its plug and play and just works with blazing speed and no drops. Also allows you to create 3 networks....a core one when you won't mess with things, a guest, and a family network. On the family network you can do things like shut down a device....or all of them....(not played with this yet...but will when my daughter gets home! evil grin)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Google mesh is dual band and auto channel. It will auto switch bands and channels to ensure the best speed for the connected devices (most mesh systems will do this). I went with Google as a neighbor raved about it. Likely that the other mesh networks will perform well... But I can't personally vouch for them.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ilmmct @Julian thank you, you guys are amazing. Great advice.
I think Google is the winner...

Now, if I can only get freaking Spectrum to bury the cable they left running across my lawn... (about 100 yards towards the next utility pole... - and I KID YOU NOT - it is laying on top of the lawn...), I will be good. lol.

--

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ilmmct @Julian thank you, you guys are amazing. Great advice.
I think Google is the winner...

Now, if I can only get freaking Spectrum to bury the cable they left running across my lawn... (about 100 yards towards the next utility pole... - and I KID YOU NOT - it is laying on top of the lawn...), I will be good. lol.

--
Don’t worry! They’ll send out the smartest guys with shovels to bury that cable in 4 months. Then you’ll need to call the phone company, sprinkler guy, etc.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski be careful if you aerate your yard in the fall as I did and it chopped my ATT fiber line they buried 2 inches under the ground...

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Google mesh routers get great reviews on Amazon. I went with the Tenda Nova as they also had great reviews, and I'm a cheap a$$. :) They have been working very good for me.

-Greg

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@boudin

How long have you had the TENDA NOVA ?
Have you tried any WIFI security cameras with it ?

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Samsung just introduced their Smartthings Wifi yesterday or today. It looks promising. I am on the fence about which product to buy (Google, Tenda Nova, or Samsung) now, especially since the Google and Samsung products are close in price and my household are almost all on Samsung/Android products at this point. Only holdout is the wife with her iPhone 6s cause she is intimidated and frustrated easily by technology.

I looked at the Tenda Nova, solely based on price concerns, but my biggest question is how all of them fare when interfacing with security cameras given the 2.4GHz vs 5GHz issue. The whole reason I started this thread was because I added a Ring Doorbell Pro which disconnects from my wifi way too often but I also intend to add at least 2 external camera's to my house. I don't want to invest in something that won't work given that my wish list is longer than my available funds :(

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Samsung just introduced their Smartthings Wifi yesterday or today. It looks promising. I am on the fence about which product to buy (Google, Tenda Nova, or Samsung) now, especially since the Google and Samsung products are close in price and my household are almost all on Samsung/Android products at this point. Only holdout is the wife with her iPhone 6s cause she is intimidated and frustrated easily by technology.

I looked at the Tenda Nova, solely based on price concerns, but my biggest question is how all of them fare when interfacing with security cameras given the 2.4GHz vs 5GHz issue. The whole reason I started this thread was because I added a Ring Doorbell Pro which disconnects from my wifi way too often but I also intend to add at least 2 external camera's to my house. I don't want to invest in something that won't work given that my wish list is longer than my available funds :(
Stay with wire ethernet cams.....thats out of my experience. You are pulling a power wire there anyway so just go POE and have rock solid connection. This works unless you are mounting somewhere remote from the network and wifi is the only cost effective route.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ditto on PoE. I haven't had a single issue with mine, and learned a new skill wiring them all up! (and got to buy new tools, always a bonus)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, after few days with Google WiFi mesh router I can't believe I've been missing out for so long!
Great system, we got the one with 3 units. Speeds on devices picked up like crazy.

--