• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterizing motors

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
the time is approaching to winterize boat. Any tips on antifreeze flush in motors? Live in NY and rather have peace of mind. I seen a 5 gallon jug with attachment from west marine ? Any tips appreciated.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Pull boat out of water, rev it up a few times, engine is wnterized.. I do ad gas stabilizer and some clean up but no need for antifreeze in engine. I live in Minnesota and have done this every winter.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No need for the engines but I do put some through the ballast system. I live in Northern IL.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Is it pretty normal to have a rough engine start in the spring? I have noticed this for the past couple seasons. Everything works it's self out after the first fire. Just curious.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
No need for the engines but I do put some through the ballast system. I live in Northern IL.
I agree, anything with water like the ballast system, the water tanks and items like that need to be winterized, but there is no water left in the engines.

Philip

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's hard to believe that no water is left in there. It's cheap insurance.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just grab a friend and have them gravity feed it into a funel that is hooked up to a hose connected to the flush port. I pinch off the water inlet hose to make sure it all goes through the engines cooling. I fog at the same time. One gallon of antifreeze takes about a minute which is just about the right time to put a half can of fogging spray through the four air intakes on the engine. Super simple super fast, couldn't be any easier. I also put antifreeze in my ballast bags and run my ballast drain. Full tank of gas with marine stabil and it's to bed for the winter.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
While we are on topic of winterization, I have a quick question. I have two quarts of Yamalube 10W-40 left over from last winters oil change and just found out that our local marina is sold out. I will have to just grab some 10W-40 from the auto-parts store since I am winterizing this weekend.
Is it fine to mix the Yamalube with the new stuff I buy or should I stay consistent? Assuming all oil is conventional.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why not just get a couple more quarts from Amazon or somewhere? My OCD self wouldn't mix. I like the Yamaha oil

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It's hard to believe that no water is left in there. It's cheap insurance.
The only place water remains is in the bottom of the large round water boxes (perhap 1/2" to 1" depending on how much you rev the engines and how high you tilt the boat). This water can freeze, but since it is in a rounded container, it doesn't break anything. Many of us, myself included, have never put an ounce of antifreeze in our boats to winterize them and have had no issues (I used to live in Illinois).

You don't list your boat type/model....so I HOPE you are talking about a Yamaha Jet boat. Other jet boats have different set ups.....this advice only applies to YAMAHA boats!

I recommend you go here:
https://jetboaters.net/account/

and add you boat info and location (generic city/state or zip) so you get the best benefit from membership on the forum.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Being a new owner and first winter if that's really the case than I can send my kit back. So it's just flush, fog, after fog restart and blow out water then spray in plug holes? Then apply Yamaha Silicon Protectant and Lubercant to engines. Replace old plugs, start after winter burn junk out then put new plus and change oil?

If that's the case then it saves even more cash and time.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Antifreeze does not do anything for Yamaha boats.

Adrian242

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi guys I have the same motor in my waverunner and you don't need to put antifreeze in the engines water jacket. You don't even have to fog the engine really but I guess it cant hurt. I wouldn't even fog it till the motors shut off but that's just me. By running the motor and giving it a few squirts of throttle is fine. As long as you change your oil regularly and with Yamaha genuine oil these motors are pretty bullet proof. Hope this helps

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also plan on spraying in some of the fogging oil before I finally shut the engines down for the winter... You can also refer to jetboat pilot's YouTube channel for the process. However, the filling you boat with fuel part is not that necessary, the ethanol in regular pump gas has some contence to help absorb fumes so I am sticking with 1\4 tank of 89 octane for the winter.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I also plan on spraying in some of the fogging oil before I finally shut the engines down for the winter... You can also refer to jetboat pilot's YouTube channel for the process. However, the filling you boat with fuel part is not that necessary, the ethanol in regular pump gas has some contence to help absorb fumes so I am sticking with 1\4 tank of 89 octane for the winter.
bad idea. The open area in the tank will allow condensation during temperature changes. You don't want your fuel to be able to absorb water.... and unfortunately ethanol loves to absorb water. It will phase separate and gunk up the fuel system. You might be fine but you're increasing your risk for sure.

The best way to do it is E0 fuel and a full tank. Either way, I would add some stabil and stabil for ethanol if you're stuck with E10.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Add stabil, blow out water by revving engine dry every few days for a week or two, and I pull the spark plugs, spray in some fogging oil, crank over and respray. Reinstall plugs and count down the days until spring! I also pull the batteries and trickle charge them over the winter. Been doing this process for 8 years with no issues, and it gets cold here.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Counting down the days have begun!