• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wisconsin bans wake boats.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Impossible to enforce, as they have yet determined how to define a wake boat. I suppose any boat with permanent ballast? The title "banning wake boats" is a little misleading. Banning the sport is getting more traction than the boats.

Folks like to categorize any boat with a tower as a wake boat, and that's just BS. I don't like getting grouped up with disrespectful teenagers with daddy's $300K Mastercraft.

Not to get political, but it's like a lawmaker making gun laws without knowing how to enforce it. I do get the premise, and many big wake boats do live their life on a lift. So it would not effect them.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Why did you feel the need to lead with a clickbait thread title, since nothing you've posted shows an actual ban?
From the article...
"In addition, Olson said he didn't think it was realistic to try to ban wake boats. The petition would allow wake-enhanced boating but within bounds established by existing administrative code."

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the article...
In addition, Olson said he didn't think it was realistic to try to ban wake boats. The petition would allow wake-enhanced boating but within bounds established by existing administrative code.
So again, like I said, they didn't ban them, why the clickbait title?

Your own hand-picked quote says "try", as in, NOT BANNED.

By the clickbait logic, all fishing boats with livewells are also banned.

This hasn't been done, yet your thread title says they've been banned, in direct contradiction to the information you, yourself, provided.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My live well is inspected to be dry and clean every time I pull out of Lake Powell.
If the anchor rope is wet they may send you to decontamination. Larvae are suspended in the water.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My live well is inspected to be dry and clean every time I pull out of Lake Powell.
If the anchor rope is wet they may send you to decontamination. Larvae are suspended in the water.
So you're unaware of the boating regs in Wisconsin. Check.

Somehow, this makes false clickbait thread titles okay.

I'd like to see the gymnastics of this explained.

At the very least, you should fix the lie your thread title puts forth. Seems like it's not sinking in.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The article reads like the typical stepped approach by radical environmental orgs. Been there seen that oh so many times with land use issues. The main guy here is an attorney who likes to row troll for Muskie. He even says so much of a stepped approach about taking on too many issues at once and ending up with nothing. This guy row trolling probably reeeeely doesn’t like the big wakes from wake boats.

So he and others are starting with the ais issue, which could be handled by enforcing the 2008 law already on the books. So why not just focus on that? Because that’s not the end game, the end game comes from all the other stuff talked about in the article, those are taking up the damage from wakes angle.

I’m all too familiar with the ais requirements, all over the place. ALL boats need to be inspected, clean drain dry or decontaminated as necessary to prevent the spread of aquatic species. Yeah wake boats hold more water than other boats, BUT all it takes is a tiny bit of hidden water in ANY boat to transfer the villagers to another body of water. SO making wake boats have a “home” lake is a stepped approach to confine all boats to that lake WITHOUT a decon. Thats pretty much SOP in areas where AIS are present.

Having said all that, on the AIS angle, all boaters need to get involved as they will ALL be affected.

On the subject of “damage” caused by wake boats there needs to be scientific not political or I don’t like them supporting evidence to create policy so that EVERYONE shares the waters we fish and recreate on. Again, been there experienced that with land use issues, three decades of it.

On the lakes I boat / fish on I have to deal with the big wakes from wake boats which generally mess up my trolling or rock my boat all over, meh, that’s just life and sharing the lake with wake boats, most of the folks are friendly. My biggest bitch with wake boats is the shitty music they play, and play it so loud it drowns out my tunes from a long ways off. Then there’s the old guys in their Ski Natiques who think they own the place and those guys are dicks.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does flushing an engine with fresh water meet the intent of decontamination?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know nothing of decontaminating boats, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this year......SO.....

I think it has to be hot water, and has to remain rinsed for some duration of time. The premise being to kill the invasive species, not just flush it away.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know nothing of decontaminating boats, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this year......SO.....

I think it has to be hot water, and has to remain rinsed for some duration of time. The premise being to kill the invasive species, not just flush it away.
This won't be necessary, as Bottom Bracket has proclaimed these boats "BANNED!" Take your boats to Arizona

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So again, like I said, they didn't ban them, why the clickbait title?

Your own hand-picked quote says "try", as in, NOT BANNED.

By the clickbait logic, all fishing boats with livewells are also banned.

This hasn't been done, yet your thread title says they've been banned, in direct contradiction to the information you, yourself, provided.
The article is talking about a draft petition - that’s a long way from an implemented law or regulation.

As the issue isn’t just wakeboats, but any boat that might transfer water from one body of water to another, perhaps tweaking their 2008 regulation makes more sense.

Water ballast has been around for a long time and so has the problem with invasive species. First water ballasted recreational boats that I’m aware of were Catalina and Hunter trailerable sailboats in the mid-90’s. First concerns about invasive species were with zebra mussels 15 - 20 years ago. I know of some reservoirs where you could only boat on them at the time, if they were the exclusive place you boated.

Never had to worry about it where I boated, but I understand that bleach was also used a decontaminant.

Jim

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes, 140* for 10 seconds, or 120* for two minutes, freezing also kills them. This is to kill the villagers or microscopic larvae from the mussels, which are the biggest issue as you can’t see them and they can live in the smallest amount of standing water. Each adult mussel can produce one million villagers a year.

Typically the following get the 140* water, the outside of the boat and trailer gets pressure washed with 140* water, engines get flushed with 140* water, the anchor rope will get soaked in 140* water, ski lockers head compartments, engine bays and or any other compartment that drains into the bilge. Heat sensitive systems like raw water wash downs, live wells, ballast systems get the 120* water for two minutes. Wahweap on the southern end of Lake Powell has the best set up, there is a tank of water with 120* water in it, you back your boat down into it with someone on board, start the engines and fill all other places with this 120* water for two minutes then pull the boat and drain it and its done.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Why did you feel the need to lead with a clickbait thread title, since nothing you've posted shows an actual ban?
100% correct, and they will never ban the boat, but rather try to control the activity.

On the lakes around me, the wake boats are some of the most expensive rigs on the water, sitting in front of some of the most expensive properties on the water. Guess, what, those may be some of the largest tax payers in the county. You know who gets listened to in my county? The ones paying the most taxes.

This thread was based on a hype article with a misleading headline to get attention. Nothing more. Many places will have luck "controlling" the activity and the devistation is causes. But there will never be a ban on the boats.

Folks look at my boat all the time and want to start a nice heated discussion about wake surfing, and I just giggle at them for mistaking my putt putt for a quarter million dollar surf boat. (thank you for the compliment)

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mean while somewhere in Minnesota ....

Cook County officials support ban of wake boats on Caribou Lake,