• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1812CC Super charged 270 HP YAMAHA SVHO

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I get a couple of these in a boat please?

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Yamaha/14500058_SVHO_2014

Conclusions: Over the last seven years we have tested every watercraft that Yamaha has brought to the market. We have found them to be well designed, very well built, and perform at or above expectation. As experienced watercraft enthusiasts and owners, we fully agree with the design changes and improvements that Yamaha has made to both the new SVHO engine, the intake and jet-pump unit. When we compare the overall weight of the FZ Series with the new power package, we see an optimum power-to-weight ratio.

How much gas would these things use in a boat? Very interested to see what it would do.

I think the biggest news here is the new jet pump! Thats the first new pump in over a decade!
I'm looking forward to @Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jeff's full report :winkingthumbsup"

Yamaha is rating those at 250 hp to my knowledge. I have only seen one out in my area and it is the same hull as my 2010 , 210 hp s h o ski.
My preference is the cruiser platform as that hull is really a great handling and very comfortable ski.
I'm really over all the increased Horse power stuff. All you will get is a faster hole shot remember the unwritten rule of not exceeding 70 M P H , and for good reason, hitting the water at speeds above that can cause you to loose an arm or a leg.
This week I watched a fool who was totally drunk pulling kids in a tube at 60+mph and to add to that foolishness they were in a crowded area and in very shallow water.
Everyone who witnessed this was totally upset and finally the other people in their group realized what was going on and put an end to it. But only after he managed to throw the passengers out of the tube doing cartwheels on top of the water as they were launched off it.

I personally like the Yamaha non supercharged 1800 engine with 180hp.
Also the new supercharged ski has now joined the ranks of the skies running on premium fuel.
I liked the fact that my Yamaha s h o runs on regular gas.
Unfortunately I am going to NEED a new ski to replace my 2013 cruiser since someone hit me on the interstate doing a number on my beach van, my double trailer and my FX HO cruiser that was not even a year old. But no one was hurt and he did have insurance!

As for the pumps, Yamaha has in my personal opinion the BEST pump on the market, as it relates to reliability and effectiveness.
Having owned other brands I am totally impressed with the reliability of the Yamaha pumps. And I am also very impressed with the 1800 engines.
I just hope they don't go too far in making them too powerful as that usually reduces the life of the engine and the reliability, not to mention the cost to operate and maintain them.accident 05 25 14 ski, van, trailer wrecked 012.JPG accident 05 25 14 ski, van, trailer wrecked 014.JPG accident 05 25 14 ski, van, trailer wrecked 012.JPG

yamaha_svho_intake.jpg

New Pump with top loading intake grate! New 5 blade impeller and 8 vein stator assembly with 160mm housing and larger cone bearing......

yamaha_svho_intake.jpg

New Pump with top loading intake grate! New 5 blade impeller and 8 vein stator assembly with 160mm housing and larger cone bearing......

Think it will bolt onto the boats? :)

No, it will not be a direct bolt on to the boats. Our intake grates are at an angle. The rear parts can be bolted on, but are very expensive unless you find them in a junk yard somewhere.
I believe something to this effect was posted on the other site, and I did the math quickly and my boat would do about 65ish with 500 hp and break into the 70's with 600+ hp.
The pump is a superior design and should be implemented into all the boats and ski's IMO. We will see. The idea of a 26-28' boat of any kind is out there but the 500 hp would probably only push it to mid 50's anyways unless the new pump design helps it get into the low 60's. Perhaps a newer sleeker designed hull would get it knocking on 70 with a very light load, but I doubt it. I could be wrong due to the fact that it would have significantly more torque due to the supercharger. I could get into why the torque would help, but that would be a lengthy discussion.

I want that 26-28 footer. I think all the "big" manufacturers are moving to open bow 26-28' day cruisers. Been seeing them in boating and yachting magazines as of late. Even fountain has one. Yamaha would certainly have a foot in the door with their designs, however it wouldn't be cheap for them to build. All the Yamaha boats have had a very similar design of hull, from the origins of the 4 strokes to the latest ones, very small tweaks have been made and really the biggest difference has been pump placement and above the rub rail construction. I think the latest 240 and 212's have a squared off front and is probably the most significant change, but when measured, they are still almost identical after the first 2 feet to an original 210 or 230. A 26-28 footer would need to have a completely new hull design, which is expensive. I think it would be a HUGE step up for Yamaha to do it though. A completely new design for a bigger boat would probably give the 240 series a new hull the following years. If you look at the current setup, the hull is almost exactly the same from the 21' to the 24' and they just change the above rub rail to be longer and higher, thus giving your boat the extra 2 feet. this is why the Yamaha's sit sooo high on the water, along with the high sides, which many of us love, especially with kids.

TL;DR
Engines are great, the pumps even better, and the gas hogs are prolly best left for a bigger boat where they would be more efficient with a new hull.

PS. Lots can be found on Greenhulk about the pumps and engines.

I stumbled onto this thread after thinking about Yamaha expanding to a bigger hull. Does anyone know what the SVHO engines weigh and what the potential top speed would be for a boat in the 28' range? Every time the idea of a 28' boat comes up people joke about trip or quad engines, but I wonder with the additional horsepower, displacement and large pumps, if two of the SVHO's could do the job in a 28' boat? I would think that a yamaha 28 footer would weigh 5000 lbs or less.

Ive had one boat with a super charger, single engine and it loved fuel... no thank you to a twin engine of that... I want to enjoy my day on the water and not regret it at the pump.

Less maintenance, no premium fuel, heck I was running 2 supercharged skies and spending over 100 a day on fuel. My 1.8 non supercharged skies use 5 gallons an hour on the engine clock riding around at regular speeds with a passenger.
At todays gas prices it usually costs 40 to 50 a day to go play on the skies.
But people run huge boats around burning diesel fuel and making waves for us poor jet ski people to jump so I guess it just depends on your budget. I have only spent 3k on fuel so far this year. That is due to lower fuel prices and NO supercharged engines.

No, it will not be a direct bolt on to the boats. Our intake grates are at an angle. The rear parts can be bolted on, but are very expensive unless you find them in a junk yard somewhere.
I believe something to this effect was posted on the other site, and I did the math quickly and my boat would do about 65ish with 500 hp and break into the 70's with 600+ hp.
The pump is a superior design and should be implemented into all the boats and ski's IMO. We will see. The idea of a 26-28' boat of any kind is out there but the 500 hp would probably only push it to mid 50's anyways unless the new pump design helps it get into the low 60's. Perhaps a newer sleeker designed hull would get it knocking on 70 with a very light load, but I doubt it. I could be wrong due to the fact that it would have significantly more torque due to the supercharger. I could get into why the torque would help, but that would be a lengthy discussion.

I want that 26-28 footer. I think all the "big" manufacturers are moving to open bow 26-28' day cruisers. Been seeing them in boating and yachting magazines as of late. Even fountain has one. Yamaha would certainly have a foot in the door with their designs, however it wouldn't be cheap for them to build. All the Yamaha boats have had a very similar design of hull, from the origins of the 4 strokes to the latest ones, very small tweaks have been made and really the biggest difference has been pump placement and above the rub rail construction. I think the latest 240 and 212's have a squared off front and is probably the most significant change, but when measured, they are still almost identical after the first 2 feet to an original 210 or 230. A 26-28 footer would need to have a completely new hull design, which is expensive. I think it would be a HUGE step up for Yamaha to do it though. A completely new design for a bigger boat would probably give the 240 series a new hull the following years. If you look at the current setup, the hull is almost exactly the same from the 21' to the 24' and they just change the above rub rail to be longer and higher, thus giving your boat the extra 2 feet. this is why the Yamaha's sit sooo high on the water, along with the high sides, which many of us love, especially with kids.

TL;DR
Engines are great, the pumps even better, and the gas hogs are prolly best left for a bigger boat where they would be more efficient with a new hull.

PS. Lots can be found on Greenhulk about the pumps and engines.
Slight correction....the new 24' hulls with the keel are different than all the other hulls. Admittedly it is only the keel that is different for the most part...

Ive had one boat with a super charger, single engine and it loved fuel... no thank you to a twin engine of that... I want to enjoy my day on the water and not regret it at the pump.
Slight correction....the new 24' hulls with the keel are different than all the other hulls. Admittedly it is only the keel that is different for the most part...
The point of my post wasn't to question the fuel efficiency of the SVHO engines only to question if that would be the powerplant required to push a 28' boat. I didn't think the 1.8l HOs would be enough and everyone on this forum seems to want their boats to go 50+ mph.

A decent 28' boat with twin svho motors would be over 50 but the extra weight and wetted hull would certainly keep it from being mid 60's. I would predict about 62 top speed.

Personally I would be happy with 40 mph out of 28 footer. Preferably with a small cabin and a wide beam.

The point of my post wasn't to question the fuel efficiency of the SVHO engines only to question if that would be the powerplant required to push a 28' boat. I didn't think the 1.8l HOs would be enough and everyone on this forum seems to want their boats to go 50+ mph.
I didn't reply to you, I quoted englewood...

OK, so I looked at comparable 24' and 28' stern drive's last night and based on the HP ratings of the twin 1.8L's in the current yamaha 24' series I think a 28' boat at 5000 lbs or less could probably get to about 45 mph. Maybe a few tics more with the addition of the new pumps found on the SVHO's. That seems reasonable for a boat that size and would also save on the fuel consumption and the 91 octane required by the SVHO engines.

Back