• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 AR230 noise control

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Folks, I read a few posts on how to make the angry hornets, that are the two engines, a bit more quiet. After much deliberation, I've ended up installing a false floor in the engine bay. The floor has enough ventilation gaps to allow for good air flow to the air cleaners and engine bay for potential fuel vapor build up to disperse and get sucked out by the vent pumps. The shelf is just a prototype and no sound matting installed yet but the difference if at least 50%! incredible. I've also taken to installing the pipe insulation along where the hood meets the body, only a slight noise drop so far.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Post some photos dude! I plan on sound proofing this Spring.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mt only concern would be air starvation to the engines...but if you run the blowers that would solve that. Perhaps run a couple of hoses from the vents below to the engines if you have a problem.

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Julian, definitely a concern. last trip had both engines maxed out around the 10K rpm at 42 Mph on the GPS so not too bad. But that's just one run. I'll continue 'product testing' to make sure that the girls keep breathing. Fuel vapors at rest are a concern at the moment as I've forgotten to run the blowers after stopping for lunch a couple of times. Thinking of installing a hydrocarbon detector (read about in other posts). Next on the list of sound deadening is the installation of two 'Fat sacs' in the tunnels beside the engines, Jeffs Jetboat type install. But the plan is to encase the bags in left over vinyl flooring to protect the sacs from screws and sharp fiberglass and to absorb some sound at the same time.

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Folks, long time coming but here's my final set up for the noise control. All fittings and panelling made by me and designed to use existing fittings as I don't like drilling extra holes in my stuff (with the exception of the screws holding the shelf brackets into the carpeted side walls). You might notice the numerous gaps and extra wide 'holes', not by design but they allow for plenty of air to enter the engine bay for the engines to breathe.20220120_104120.jpg20220120_103609.jpg20220120_103506.jpgRotated.jpg

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I built a box around the engines of my 2006 sx 230 but decided to insulate the underside of the engine hatch on my 2010 242 instead. I think the box did a better job of absorbing the sound but also realize the 230’s engines put out a lot more noise since they spin up to 10k/10.2k rpm where as the 242’s spin up to 7.6k rpm.

I wasn’t concerned about getting enough air to the engines for operational purposes but was concerned about heat build up. I never noticed any performance degradation or excessive heat build up in either engine compartment. Not an apples to apples comparison but Think about how little free space there is an a Waverunners engine compartment with the same motor installed and Waverunners don’t have blowers.

I also found that on both boats it’s worth the time and effort it takes to seal the joints between the sides and front and back walls/bulkheads of the engine compartment. Stuffing the free space at the back of the compartments next to the engine compartment helps as well.

FE4C3F43-4B8B-4D5D-9FB8-9BFECB8EA731.pngFE5D530C-C821-43ED-81CC-BB2655EA83A5.png104720BE-4AE4-4C4D-AFFA-F6D7E6F36E57.png

Last edited:

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronnie, I'm thinking that yours and the pipe insulation from Jeffs Jetboat were the main inspirations for my decision on what to do. I'm currently stripping the sound mat off the hood but probably won't replace it with any noise cancelling material. I have a tiny bit of 'dynamat' left from a car sound deadening job which I might put on. Next step is to install a tunnel from vinyl floor mat and install 1 FatSac on each side of the engine bay, as per Jeff again. This should make it a bit quieter still.

Manny252

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ronnie, I'm thinking that yours and the pipe insulation from Jeffs Jetboat were the main inspirations for my decision on what to do. I'm currently stripping the sound mat off the hood but probably won't replace it with any noise cancelling material. I have a tiny bit of 'dynamat' left from a car sound deadening job which I might put on. Next step is to install a tunnel from vinyl floor mat and install 1 FatSac on each side of the engine bay, as per Jeff again. This should make it a bit quieter still.
WOW LOOKS MINT, SO DID IT MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE WITH NOISE > WHAT ABOUT THE MUFFLERS ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought it helped on both boats but the relative baseline noise is different between the two. It does not reduce the noise enough in my opinion.

There is a member here who added in line mufflers to his boat but it was not me and it is not a cut and clamp in place modification.

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. The sound is definitely noticeably less but still inherently loud at high revs. I can't say that I've noticed many mentions of a mod for the mufflers but it does stand to reason that there's a lot of noise coming from those. Guessing that the logistics of sound attenuation in the muffler space would be a bit tricky with the limited access.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Down here in Texas I would worry about the heat buildup for the setup. Though I can imagine you could put several holes in that deck, not impact the sound dampening too much, and mitigate that problem...

Then I also think you found a new storage area...

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[/QUOTE]
Don't worry, it gets nice and warm in Queensland Australia too, I've left (read: 'not cut properly') some sizable gaps and am relying on the fresh air draw from the running engine to cool the space. As for the extra storage, I was initially exited at the prospect of being able to include a shallow basket to hold the wakeboarding vests but it turns out that the 'hood' has about 10-15mm clearance of the wood panneling. The only storage available is directly on the rear wall, where the newer AR's have cleverly installed a hinged hatch. I'm dead keen on Zippers' links for the exhaust wrapping as I have to get into that space to replace the deck drain fitting from the cursed plastic ont to the Stainless one.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
t
Don't worry, it gets nice and warm in Queensland Australia too,
[/QUOTE]

I was just about to ask you to post your location that maybe some of us could come by for a ride to see the difference, maybe in a few years when they lift the covid restrictions,

maybe take a video so we can hear it,

Also, if you haven't already, look at the thread in my signature about "known issues" for you boat model,

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HA!, thought my location would be interesting. You're more than welcome to pop over when you can. We don't have many jet boats here, they're imported privately so we were very lucky to find ours. Always a great head turner, especially when we reverse to the bank of the dam and the crouds eagerly await for the prop to smash into the rocks! I'm very envious and keen to have a gander at others but don't get an oportunity. Though there was a recently imported 210 at the servo the other day, un modified. The guy loves them so we're keen to see how and what he modifies. I read your list over and over before buying the boat. I'm reasonably capable and keen to do work and repairs myself so none of the issues bothered me. Ran the YDS the other day, 158hrs on both engines! The fact that the engine and jet systems are so simple was a major selling point for me. Trouble and strife wanted a Tige or a Moomba but I also wanted a fishing boat, so this was the best of both worlds. Working on a ballast system currently.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wanted to share my experience with sound deadening. I didn't have too much in the expectation department as I was essentially replacing my falling down and disintegrating foam. I pulled the engine cover and cleaned it up. I used the 3m spray contact adhesive. This product has adhesive backing but I wanted to make sure it adhered and it did. Amazon.com: Noico Green 170 mil 36 sqft Сar Waterproof Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell PE Foam Deadening Material (1/6'' Thick Sound Deadener) : Automotive

After I did this layer I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069QLVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've only done the top section when the hatch is open and haven't done a second layer in the larger area of the hatch. I also sealed with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V2N1N6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Not the best in the world and some work needs to be done here. Perhaps the pipe insulation is the best choice. I also played around cutting strips of the hood liner material as a seal.

As of now I would say that I've cut the sound in half. I was driving across the lake with my daughter at 9,000 rpms last night and she was sitting on the engine compartment and we were almost at a normal face to face conversation level.

Not as clean as some and I need to clean up some seals but here are a couple of pics.

thumbnail_IMG_6793.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6794.jpg

Black Betty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just wanted to share my experience with sound deadening. I didn't have too much in the expectation department as I was essentially replacing my falling down and disintegrating foam. I pulled the engine cover and cleaned it up. I used the 3m spray contact adhesive. This product has adhesive backing but I wanted to make sure it adhered and it did. Amazon.com: Noico Green 170 mil 36 sqft Сar Waterproof Sound Insulation, Heat and Cool Liner, Self-Adhesive Closed Cell PE Foam Deadening Material (1/6'' Thick Sound Deadener) : Automotive

After I did this layer I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00069QLVC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I've only done the top section when the hatch is open and haven't done a second layer in the larger area of the hatch. I also sealed with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V2N1N6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Not the best in the world and some work needs to be done here. Perhaps the pipe insulation is the best choice. I also played around cutting strips of the hood liner material as a seal.

As of now I would say that I've cut the sound in half. I was driving across the lake with my daughter at 9,000 rpms last night and she was sitting on the engine compartment and we were almost at a normal face to face conversation level.

Not as clean as some and I need to clean up some seals but here are a couple of pics.

View attachment 183298View attachment 183299

I'm liking the hood liner, I still have to do mine. If you look back, I installed a false floor with hood lining underneath the board. This made a huge difference. My only concern is in the event of an emergency (fire), access to the engines for the extinguisher will be extremely limited. I'm reconsidering removing the false floor and installing hood liner like you and others have done. I've done the pipe insulation trick and will say that this is the go. Bit tricky to install but it creates a nice tight seal and stops noise pretty well.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the material listings @scokill
I want to do more on my boat this winter.