• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Release coming soon!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Scarab 255 goes in the low 50's. Larger boat than any Yamaha. Most 240/242 owners seem to hit around 50 mph or less with the occasional factory freak hitting over 50's consistently. With the new ACE engines coming out in the BRP boats they will be even better performing. Regardless I wouldn't want to drive any of these boats at those speeds in anything other than glass conditions. You'll just end up getting tossed around and guest looking at you like you're a mad man because they fear for their life lol.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Scarab 255 goes in the low 50's. Larger boat than any Yamaha. Most 240/242 owners seem to hit around 50 mph or less with the occasional factory freak hitting over 50's consistently. With the new ACE engines coming out in the BRP boats they will be even better performing. Regardless I wouldn't want to drive any of these boats at those speeds in anything other than glass conditions. You'll just end up getting tossed around and guest looking at you like you're a mad man because they fear for their life lol.
The chap 223 with twin 250’s will do 60-62. I’ve seen some guys on Facebook post pics of top speeds.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The chap 223 with twin 250’s will do 60-62. I’ve seen some guys on Facebook post pics of top speeds.
You may be right now that I think about it I thought I had seen 60's reported here before in the past. They fly that's for sure! Of the BRP powered boats I like the lines of the Chaps the most.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
58 mph stock Chap 243 w/ the 250's. I imagine the smaller 223 would hit over 60 for sure.

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I’ve hit 57 mph with full tank and two people on glass and mid grade fuel.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You must boat in a lake with zero traffic. I say that because in chop during peak boating season these 19' boats get tossed like a washing machine and are not comfortable to drive at high speeds. I spend most of my time around 25 mph if conditions are kind of rough. When it gets real rough I will go much slower. That's when I get passed by wake and pontoon boats because they can cut through chop better than my lightweight boat could dream of.

Money does not equate to top speed. You can spend 100k on a pontoon these days and not hit over 40 mph. It's not all about top speed and if it were we'd be talking about BRP powered boats than Yamaha since they own the top speed performance for a twin engine jet boat.
As the great Ricky Bobby said "I just like to go fast".

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Quick comment re: AR195: Recently I had a heavier load with big cooler, 4 adults and 3 kids. Two of the adults wanted to sit up front (so like 350lbs). Wow, having the bow deeper in the water really made a difference. I was still able to go 49-50mph even with more of the boat in the water.

So much so I am now researching a tilt nozzle or trim tabs for when I have rough conditions and 1-2 people.

PS - I too love the speed. huge fan of SamCF and what he did with his 192, and hopefully will get my 195 to 55-60 with some mods. woot woot!!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a Facebook discussion occurring on new ACE equip Scarabs being delivered to Lafayette Power Sports Leonard made this statement:

"Because of what is under those covered Scarabs You will see a 520 hp Yamaha with combined 3600 cc’s and superchargers in twin engine applications at the 2019 Miami Boat show in a 26’ 60 mph Boat!"​

I'm not sure if any of that intel is new, but I think we can definitively say that the fun ain't over yet. Because all of the guest have yet to arrive to the party.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In a Facebook discussion occurring on new ACE equip Scarabs being delivered to Lafayette Power Sports Leonard made this statement:

"Because of what is under those covered Scarabs You will see a 520 hp Yamaha with combined 3600 cc’s and superchargers in twin engine applications at the 2019 Miami Boat show in a 26’ 60 mph Boat!"​

I'm not sure if any of that intel is new, but I think we can definitively say that the fun ain't over yet. Because all of the guest have yet to arrive to the party.
Hahaha, yes this is not new. I doubt very much the 60mph aspect of it, but whatever - we are gonna need a new forum/subforum:

"The Over $100k Yamaha Jet Boat Owners Club", lol.

--

Chris2174

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We just put in a deposit for 242x at our local boat show - I have been researching the jets probably for far too long and really considered all sorts of boats, but came back to the Yamaha's for a couple of reasons. Do they have their cons? well of course, but we felt the benefits outweighed these at this point.

1) we needed an all around good boat - a "swiss-army" knife, if you will - we have a huge extended family and we needed a boat for towing, water-skiing, tubing and the dabble in wakesurf/ski.
2) we have a huge range of ages for the kids and the idea of "prop-less" was really nice. We currently boat in my FIL's boat and I cannot tell you how many times we had to worry about little kids hanging around the prop despite numerous reminders.
3) I love the idea of no hardware under the boat and easy maintenance. I don't have to worry about an I/O, hydraulics or seals. I am a huge DIY and feel this boat is well within my experience working on car motors.
4) The ease of entry/exit of the Yamaha was excellent
5) I also liked the idea of throttle by wire, the connext system was awesome and the tower/bimini is incredible.
6) We live in the inland NW with tons of awesome lakes around. We have no desire to allow the boat to see salt-water.

Now some of the nuances that we noted with the boat:
1) is the wake perfect - well no - of course not - is it sufficient for our purposes - yes. If the family really gets into the wake-sports then we will look into a dedicated boat.
2) The chair turning wasn't very good - you had to finagle the chair to turn - but we felt this was an issue we could work through - it wasn't a deal breaker.
3) Ballast - yeah it's only 1400lbs. But we have a crowd with people and can easily stuff a bunch of people back there. I am OK with playing with the surf mechanics to make it fun.

So, there you have it - there are my thoughts, at least initially.

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just put in a deposit for 242x at our local boat show - I have been researching the jets probably for far too long and really considered all sorts of boats, but came back to the Yamaha's for a couple of reasons. Do they have their cons? well of course, but we felt the benefits outweighed these at this point.

1) we needed an all around good boat - a "swiss-army" knife, if you will - we have a huge extended family and we needed a boat for towing, water-skiing, tubing and the dabble in wakesurf/ski.
2) we have a huge range of ages for the kids and the idea of "prop-less" was really nice. We currently boat in my FIL's boat and I cannot tell you how many times we had to worry about little kids hanging around the prop despite numerous reminders.
3) I love the idea of no hardware under the boat and easy maintenance. I don't have to worry about an I/O, hydraulics or seals. I am a huge DIY and feel this boat is well within my experience working on car motors.
5) I also liked the idea of throttle by wire, the connext system was awesome and the tower/bimini is incredible.
6) We live in the inland NW with tons of awesome lakes around. We have no desire to allow the boat to see salt-water.

1) is the wake perfect - well no - of course not - is it sufficient for our purposes - yes. If the family really gets into the wake-sports then we will look into a dedicated boat.
2) The chair turning wasn't very good - you had to finagle the chair to turn - but we felt this was an issue we could work through - it wasn't a deal breaker.
3) Ballast - yeah it's only 1400lbs. But we have a crowd with people and can easily stuff a bunch of people back there. I am OK with playing with the surf mechanics to make it fun.

We had similar requirements and thought processes. We pulled trigger on 242 Limited SE and have no regrets! Enjoy!!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

You won't regret it. It's a great all around boat to do a little of everything with.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha will be unveiling the new model along with "Lots of cool tech and innovation" on Thursday morning beginning at 9:25am (per Yamaha). I will post the link as soon as I have it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yamaha will be unveiling the new model along with "Lots of cool tech and innovation" on Thursday morning beginning at 9:25am (per Yamaha). I will post the link as soon as I have it.

Isn't this a very odd time of year for Yamaha to be releasing new boat technology? Unless it's a sneak at 2020, with a full line up announced this coming fall?

This time of year, the snowmobile crowd is a buzz with rumors etc. As their dealer meetings will be coming up very soon, with spring orders of 2020 sleds in April. Unless, this is just that, a teaser they are sharing with the sled dealers to get full line dealers on board. Very odd.

Now on that note, there is a very strong rumor of Yamaha releasing a two stroke sled for 2020. But that rumor runs every spring. Yamaha has sworn to never research and release a new engine design without being able to use it across multiple product lines. There is the slightest chance it could cross over. I see no reason for a new two stroke in any watercraft, other than the SuperJet. As it is an old design, that performs well mind you, but in dire need of an update.

I do believe the HP and Length war with Scarab may need to be addressed. If I had to hang my hat on a rumor, that would be it. I have no need as our 242LS hauls and burns enough fuel for me.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Isn't this a very odd time of year for Yamaha to be releasing new boat technology? Unless it's a sneak at 2020, with a full line up announced this coming fall?
The Miami boat show is the largest in the country, so they get the biggest media splash there when they release models at it. They released the FSH line up at the Miami boat show as well. I think it may simply depend on when the boat is ready for release. If it is in the fall, they do it at their dealer meeting, if it is in the spring they do it at the Miami boat show.

But this boat is coming in 3 days for sure! No question about that--the time of the announcement is coming to me from Yamaha....

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were invited, but none of us could make it to Miami. @veedubtek will be down there on Saturday and plans to live stream his walk around of the boat.
Yamaha should not be just "inviting" the jetboaters admins, they should be rolling out red carpet and flying you and @Bruce families out there, for a picnic before the show.

Frankly, I think they are real morons.

I would guesstimate at least a half maybe more of their new jet boat sales are, at least in part, supported or facilitated by this forum (I know both of my Yamaha purchases were).

Making media splash at the Miami show... with a 27' jet boat...? Okay. Sure. What? I would think their traditional YJB owners are typically not in attendance at the Miami Show. There may be plenty of ex-YJB owners, lol, but they not shopping jet boats...

Just think about it, Yamaha has enough of enthusiastic following - in this forum alone! - they could whip it up into a frenzy by pooring just a bit of their resources into this...
Ever heard of Jeep Wrangler?

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Frankly, I think they are real morons.

I would guesstimate at least a half maybe more of their new jet boat sales are, at least in part, supported or facilitated by this forum (I know both of my Yamaha purchases were).

Making media splash at the Miami show... with a 27' jet boat...? Okay. Sure. What? I would think their traditional YJB owners are typically not in attendance at the Miami Show. There may be plenty of ex-YJB owners, lol, but they not shopping jet boats...

Just think about it, Yamaha has enough of enthusiastic following - in this forum alone! - they could whip it up into a frenzy by pooring just a bit of their resources into this...
Ever heard of Jeep Wrangler?

--
I agree with what you are saying, but Marketing 101 is telling them, that to expand market share, you can't just market to current customers. Even though they do purchase new, as brand loyalty is important. It's only a fraction of the equation. They need to gain new customers. Either by stealing from the competition, or by introducing the boating lifestyle to non boat owners.

Our influence on new customers is great, but I think if you compared the quantity of new boats produced each year, to the total member list here, it may make our influence number shrivel up just a bit.

So I agree, it's important, but not in the grand scheme. We are more on the post-sale influence. And the miami boat show gets the attention they are looking for, just like the major car shows are for model prototypes as well.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with what you are saying, but Marketing 101 is telling them, that to expand market share, you can't just market to current customers. Even though they do purchase new, as brand loyalty is important. It's only a fraction of the equation. They need to gain new customers. Either by stealing from the competition, or by introducing the boating lifestyle to non boat owners.

Our influence on new customers is great, but I think if you compared the quantity of new boats produced each year, to the total member list here, it may make our influence number shrivel up just a bit.

So I agree, it's important, but not in the grand scheme. We are more on the post-sale influence. And the miami boat show gets the attention they are looking for, just like the major car shows are for model prototypes as well.
While I agree their marketing can't just be about stroking their existing base to get them to buy again. . . I humbly disagree that our influence would shrivel based on your proposed metrics. If you saw the non member traffic this site generates you might feel a little differently. We are extremely influential to 1st time buyers of Yamaha (and other) jet boats.