• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Yamaha 252S Issues

Gaylon2002

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Afternoon Everyone,

Little frustrated at all the issues I'm having with my boat and wanted to share with others. A few quality control concerns and lack of parts.

1. Before boat ever touched water the amp had to be reprogrammed at dealer as it was not working
2. Front grab rail on starboard side came off on first trip out. Took to dealer they fixed, next trip out the same side rear bolt rattled loose and scratched fiberglass. Another trip to dealer as seats/horn have to be removed to access bolts/nuts and I do not have time for this. Got it back from dealer, fell out again for 3rd time. I tightened nuts and added thread lock to hopefully avoid this again. Bad day on the assembly line?
3. 3rd trip out less than 5 hours on boat rear swim platform speakers and controller no longer work. Tthumbnail_IMG_8081.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8082.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8083.jpgthumbnail_IMG_8100.jpgook to dealer said controller needs to be replaced part on back order to mid August.
4. Phone holder on helm was loose and eventually broke off. There are studs that go through the dash but the phone holder is glued onto the studs. Really glue in a marine environment? Lasted less than 2 months. Took to dealer and they have fixed it but I have not picked up boat yet to see how/what type of repair was done.
5. Glovebox's on the port side do not line up. Shut one the other flops open while under way. Took to dealer before boat ever touched water they made adjustments but could not fix the issue. Told me I need entire dash/glovebox replaced that will be probably 2022 no eta on parts.

For 75-80k I did not expect all these issues, let alone some of the fit and finish things I have noticed throughout the boat. I have found 2-3 bolts/nuts in bilge and under helm from stuff rattling loose.

On to the dealer, no compassion on all the issues, just write it up and get it into service again. I took it in for 10 hours break in service/oil change. Drop in water on 4th of July look in swim platform cup holder and there are 12 stainless screws, open clean out port access and the cover for engine maintenance all screws were not re-installed I took care of it so I could enjoy day on water. Dealer apologized.

Questioned dealer on all quality issues and was told "you sell it back to us and make some money" that's the answer? At this point I'm sad I sold my 2018 AR190 as it was a solid boat no issues but this 2021 is riddled with issues outside of the engines.

What's up YAMAHA?

I've never had to post something like this before.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Afternoon Everyone,

Little frustrated at all the issues I'm having with my boat and wanted to share with others. A few quality control concerns and lack of parts.

1. Before boat ever touched water the amp had to be reprogrammed at dealer as it was not working
2. Front grab rail on starboard side came off on first trip out. Took to dealer they fixed, next trip out the same side rear bolt rattled loose and scratched fiberglass. Another trip to dealer as seats/horn have to be removed to access bolts/nuts and I do not have time for this. Got it back from dealer, fell out again for 3rd time. I tightened nuts and added thread lock to hopefully avoid this again. Bad day on the assembly line?
3. 3rd trip out less than 5 hours on boat rear swim platform speakers and controller no longer work. TView attachment 158325View attachment 158326View attachment 158327View attachment 158328ook to dealer said controller needs to be replaced part on back order to mid August.
4. Phone holder on helm was loose and eventually broke off. There are studs that go through the dash but the phone holder is glued onto the studs. Really glue in a marine environment? Lasted less than 2 months. Took to dealer and they have fixed it but I have not picked up boat yet to see how/what type of repair was done.
5. Glovebox's on the port side do not line up. Shut one the other flops open while under way. Took to dealer before boat ever touched water they made adjustments but could not fix the issue. Told me I need entire dash/glovebox replaced that will be probably 2022 no eta on parts.

For 75-80k I did not expect all these issues, let alone some of the fit and finish things I have noticed throughout the boat. I have found 2-3 bolts/nuts in bilge and under helm from stuff rattling loose.

On to the dealer, no compassion on all the issues, just write it up and get it into service again. I took it in for 10 hours break in service/oil change. Drop in water on 4th of July look in swim platform cup holder and there are 12 stainless screws, open clean out port access and the cover for engine maintenance all screws were not re-installed I took care of it so I could enjoy day on water. Dealer apologized.

Questioned dealer on all quality issues and was told "you sell it back to us and make some money" that's the answer? At this point I'm sad I sold my 2018 AR190 as it was a solid boat no issues but this 2021 is riddled with issues outside of the engines.

What's up YAMAHA?

I don't want to put salt in the wound, but what did the dealer do with the prep fee they charged you? Looks like they just took your money. Total BS

ezrider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Sorry to hear of all these issues!

I have the same boat which I picked up in March. Not exactly sure when it was produced but I would assume sometime shortly prior to then.

I have not experienced any of these types of issues. The glove compartment is the only thing that does not completely lineup but I am able to open and close them so I have left it alone.

That aside, I have checked it recently when I take it out of the slip and everything seems to be tight and in good working condition.

I paid a little over $1500 for the prep fee. Overall, perhaps some of these issues were discovered during that time and my dealer may have fixed. The experience I have had with my dealer in Pennsylvania has been nothing but positive.

I hope you are able to get everything resolved so you can enjoy the boat. I agree though, I definitely think Yamaha has overlooked certain things due to Covid and pushing things through.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Gaylon2002 Sorry to hear about all your fit and finish issues. Seems hit and miss if people run into this or not. I wonder if it is like @ezrider says and primarily a factor of your dealers attention to detail? My dealer (Chatlee in Sanford NC) rocks. They have a crew of folks there that know the Yamahas inside and out. I think because of the volume of them they sell, they know what to look for.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
hopefully they fix it for you soon! The dealer prep fees should cover tightening loose stuff and make sure everything works before handing over to customer. I was fortunate I have no issue with my 19 FSH when I receive it.

YamSport

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Afternoon Everyone,

3. 3rd trip out less than 5 hours on boat rear swim platform speakers and controller no longer work. TView attachment 158325View attachment 158326View attachment 158327View attachment 158328ook to dealer said controller needs to be replaced part on back order to mid August.

What's up YAMAHA?

Concerning.. My boat did not come with it's table stand. No screws for the stern light.. Cock eyed screws in a few places. the battery cover does not fit over the batteries and rattles...The anchor locker fills up with water like a hose is on.. A bracket housing clip was cracked and not functional on the port side air filter..

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Afternoon Everyone,

What's up YAMAHA?

agree with the phone holder happened to me, the glove box also loose so it doesn't line up. all happened on the Bahamas trip, got a short list for the dealer in November including the transducer