• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242xe subwoofer rattle

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Subwoofer rattles something inside panel somewhere around trash can area wall
Nothing I can exactly locate, and nowhere I can push or hold minimize it.
Rattle on the port wall next to passenger seat .

Anyone with an idea?
I looked inside cup holder but couldn't identify anything to stop rattle.

Bass is nice, but with rattle sounds cheap.
Turning bass down reduces rattle but it's not just a bass up to high rattle.

Thanks

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same rattle, sounds like its the three cup holder area. If I push down on the left side (towards stern) the rattle stops. I would love to knock out the rattle as well, so any idea on how to accomplish that would be great.

I am thinking it would involved taking apart that area and potentially using silicone or something that would tighten things when reassembled?

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will try the "push on stern cup holder" next time in out. Maybe if there is a magic spot , some strategic shim or foam could help.

.... if anyone else figured out , let us know.

! My swimdeck radio also fogs up. Had it replaced and still doing it.
Not unusable, but frustrating to see a fogged up radio, and hear the sub rattle on a new boat.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
On mine one or two of the sub bolts were loose. There are nuts behind the wall reachable by removing the cup holders. Also there are several wire harness running in that gunnel that you could add a few extra zip ties to...

Last edited:

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome. Will check bolts...
If that's the solution, will be happy camper.

...so far lots of loose bolts on the minor stuff.
Not sure if factory or dealer , but someone needs to buy some loctight !!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
dumb question time, how do you guys know where the bolts are to access things like this? Do you have service manuals or are their diagrams available? I will dig into mine and check it out as well, it would be nice to open up the bass and not hear rattles.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
dumb question time, how do you guys know where the bolts are to access things like this? Do you have service manuals or are their diagrams available? I will dig into mine and check it out as well, it would be nice to open up the bass and not hear rattles.
I will often use the parts ordering diagrams at places like www.yamahasportsplaza.com, but for stereo layouts these don't help much. For example, the stereo diagram doesn't show any layout and shows the sub being screwed in, not bolted in (perhaps it is on a 2016?). But the rest of the diagrams are quite helpful!

Stereo:
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5626433087a86602c84a2cee/stereo-equipment

List of parts diagrams:
https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/l/yam/5626420387a86602c84a2c53/2016-242x-e-series-sat1800er-parts

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I still have a slight rattle that seems to come and go or is less noticble at times. Sometimes I think it’s the inner hull and black inlay inner hull ratteling at the seams some.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Many of us have tinkeritus and take things apart out of curiosity...

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I found my rattle, it's this molding cushion the top red arrow points too.
SpeakerRattle.jpg

Now the question is how do I remove it? I felt one screw at the bottom (bottom red arrow pointing to it) but I think I would need to remove the cushion that I am pointing to with the black arrow to access that screw. felt around and I didn't feel any other screws.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian, probably, I stuck my finger behind it to tighten the pad and it mostly stopped the rattle. I was thinking of loosening the pad and putting in some sort of shim and then tightening it back down on the shim. If I can't really get to the screws, I can force a shim in there I guess.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would be nice to see what's behind there.
If can get in there I bet some foam would do wonders

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would the service manual explain how to remove those cushions? The service manual is 75 plus shipping or 80 per year for the electronic version.

Vince

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m curious if a solution was ever found for the rattle/vibration from the moulding cushion? I recently installed a 10” Kicker IB sub in my 2016 242 Limited in this location (selected that space to avoid losing any storage space) and now have a rattle from this same cushion/location. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m curious if a solution was ever found for the rattle/vibration from the moulding cushion? I recently installed a 10” Kicker IB sub in my 2016 242 Limited in this location (selected that space to avoid losing any storage space) and now have a rattle from this same cushion/location. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
I can't figure out how to remove the cushion, not sure where to go with this. I currently jam a piece of wood between the cushion and the boat to mostly stop the rattle, it's pretty annoying though

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it’s anything like the other boats and cushions there will be bolts and nuts to remove and then the cushion slides out of the metal hangers. There are pics on here of boats with the cushions removed so you can see how they attach. Not sure what to search for but maybe check upholstery related threads.