• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Abacos 2023. Gauging interest.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know it's still a little while away, but we are eyeballing another trip to The Abacos (Treasure Cay in particular, but possibly Green Turtle Cay). Most likely 1st or 2nd week of June. Leaving out of Jupiter, FL.
On the way over, I would like to stop for fuel at Walker's Cay (Jupiter - Walker's = 100 miles). On the way back at West End (West End to Jupiter = 75 miles).
I am aware those distances are a stretch fuel-wise for many, so keep that in mind. It also makes me want to keep the group small, 3-5 boats.
Just gauging if there is any interest from this group.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know it's still a little while away, but we are eyeballing another trip to The Abacos (Treasure Cay in particular, but possibly Green Turtle Cay). Most likely 1st or 2nd week of June. Leaving out of Jupiter, FL.
On the way over, I would like to stop for fuel at Walker's Cay (Jupiter - Walker's = 100 miles). On the way back at West End (West End to Jupiter = 75 miles).
I am aware those distances are a stretch fuel-wise for many, so keep that in mind. It also makes me want to keep the group small, 3-5 boats.
Ya, we’re considering it, but we’d probably want to time our trip around the Cheeseburger In Paradise party which I think last time was in July? Just out of curiosity, why are you targeting Walkers Cay on the way there and West End on the way back? Our Bimini trip we ended up with about 1/3 tank left on the way there (pounded waves for 4.5 hours) and about 1/2 tank on the way back (calm seas) so we’d plan on stopping at West End both ways.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya, we’re considering it, but we’d probably want to time our trip around the Cheeseburger In Paradise party which I think last time was in July? Just out of curiosity, why are you targeting Walkers Cay on the way there and West End on the way back? Our Bimini trip we ended up with about 1/3 tank left on the way there (pounded waves for 4.5 hours) and about 1/2 tank on the way back (calm seas) so we’d plan on stopping at West End both ways.
I don’t have a jetboat. 30’ cruiser with 160 gallon tank. Assuming halfway decent weather I can make the 100 mikes to Walker’s on half a tank.
Wwalker’s is being restored and I’ve never been there. Used to be the fishing capital of the world, until it was destroyed by a hurricane.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yeah I'll keep it in mind. It's still a ways out. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row now.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OK, I have a confirmed reservation in Treasure Cay from June 3rd - 10th.
We will start driving down to either Stuart or Jupiter on Thursday, continue Friday, splash the boat, and be ready to leave early Saturday morning - weather permitting.
If arrangements for parking etc. become problematic, then we will leave out of West Palm Beach. More to come.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have started to look more into the logistics of our trip next summer, and made the decision to change our starting point from Stuart to West Palm Beach.

West Palm Beach is closest to West End, has a nice marina 1 mile from the inlet, a good boat ramp ¼ mile from the marina, and secure truck/trailer parking options not too far away.

This will alter our path a little; we will go to West End (65 miles) to clear customs and refuel, then go to Walkers Cay (60 miles), and then on to Spanish Cay (60 miles), and then on to Treasure Cay (25 miles).

We will refuel again at either Walkers or Spanish – depending on cost.

The side trip to Walkers is just something I want to do. It adds only 18 miles to the trip. If the crossing takes more time than anticipated, we can still scrap the Walkers visit. Or we can dock at Spanish and spend the night there.

Last time we left WPB at 7am, made it to West End by 9:30am. Clearing and refueling took about 2 hours, and we were in Spanish at 4:30pm.

The only reason we didn’t go on is it started to rain so hard (with absolutely no wind, so flat water) that visibility was very low, and too dangerous to move on at 30+mph. So I hailed Spanish Cay marina, asked if they had a slip for the night, and we stayed there.

Hopefully we have better weather this time!