• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About that new E-Series bimini top .....

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The canvas is reportedly not necessarily easy to remove.
Yes ........ Designed to be accomplished, but not an "easy" task.
'Jes sayin'
(Note: Comments from those AT the dealer meeting).

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Will, we are depending on you to do one of your excellent videos on the 242X bimini. Are you going to buy one or just get a hold of one?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even if I was in the position of getting a new e series that Bimini top would stop me. It's horrible. Also I know my manual says I can't tow without the tower folded unless the shipping braces are bolted in place.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm one of the few who really like it I guess.......Keep in mind, I have a 2010 AR240 whose bimini is a royal pain to deploy and take down. I have considered on more than on occasion, going to a fixed type if I could find the right one. Of course, I only store my boat in the winter and height clearance is not a problem.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have found that on my 2010 AR240 bimini, the easiest way to use it is to leave the three zippers zipped and fold it all back against the tower. Next instead of the provided boot, I use four long plastic ended bungee cords to secure it for the 2 mile drive to storage. Not ideal for high speed travel but it makes WAY less of a pain to put away and set up.

I am surprised that a bimini THAT big on a WAKE boat with THAT much structure does not have surfboard pockets sewn into the top...

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @jawsf16 ......I may explore that idea. I wonder if I left it zipped up there if I could have a new, larger boot made to go over that part of the tower and the folded part of the bimini??? Hmm....

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I imagine those in hot climates like the extended coverage of this bimini, but I am not a fan of the look or the functionality. Other manufacturers have pulled it off, but I think Yamaha missed it on this one. Outside of that, I like the new line.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree. This Bimini is by far the worst part of the boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah....the bimini was designed by a southerner for southerners! We hardly ever used our bimini when we lived up north(in fact it would hang on the wall in the garage most of the time), now we rarely if ever don't use it!

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It probably wouldn't be quite so bad if it folded. Unfortunately, they put all the superstructure above it to support two flimsy solar panels. If they really felt the need for permanent solar panels they could have come up with a better solution.

B_Mutter

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I haven't seen it in person yet but I believe the bimini canvas is like the FSH in that it has a strap running through it and just gets strapped around the frame. Pretty easy remove and installation

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
At first I was also of the thinking "a swing and a miss" but after spending some time on it both in the water and in the showroom I'd give it a 9 on function and a 8 on looks. It gives the cockpit some serious shade. In terms of traveling and lowering for storage, it works awesome. But you can't compare it to a normal bimini top, you would have to compare it to a canvas hard top you'd find on a Supra, Mastercraft or Ski Nautique etc.... All of which are harder to remove, harder to lower and provide way less shade.

20150825_093736.jpg 20150823_110807.jpg 20150825_093630.jpg 20150825_093707.jpg 20150825_093736.jpg IMG_20150824_100606.jpg

Tollus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never use my bimini, sits in a shed at the boat house and I'd throw it away save for the day I sell it the person buying it may want it.

I'd be taking that thing to a body shop to figure out how to cut off all the infrastructure up there to hold it up. Not something I would really do to a $72k boat. I like everything about this boat except the bimini.

At least the wake boats have the option of completely removing the biminis and all the hardware thats there to hold them in place....at least from the ones I've seen. Hopefully they change it next year...then in 6 years I can buy a 5 year old one :)

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so that whole framework really doesn't come off?

I haven't seen a photo of one yet that doesn't have the material on it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
There's two Allen bolts on the side and two knobs in the top of the tower.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will try to find it but there is a picture from above with the canvas removed and it is not a pretty site

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'd love to have a big bimini like that, minus the non-collapsible framework. We use our bimini on every outing. I can't imagine boating in the summer for any length of time without it up. The sun must be much less intense in the places where a lot of you guys boat.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not related to the bimini.... but looking at these pics I can't figure out why they used those Polk db speakers on the tower and then put that big sound bar up there. Why not just use a pair of actual HLCD tower speakers in the cans and be done with it?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not related to the bimini.... but looking at these pics I can't figure out why they used those Polk db speakers on the tower and then put that big sound bar up there. Why not just use a pair of actual HLCD tower speakers in the cans and be done with it?
$$$