• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About that new E-Series bimini top .....

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @jawsf16 ......I may explore that idea. I wonder if I left it zipped up there if I could have a new, larger boot made to go over that part of the tower and the folded part of the bimini??? Hmm....
That's exactly what I did. I had a canvas shop make me a new boot. I think I paid $160. Now I just leave my bimini zipped to my tower and fold it against the tower. Then I wrap the new boot around the top of the tower and folder bimini. It's super quick now and no hassle.

I personally don't like the new biminis. I think the profile view is butt ugly. It might be practical but so is a mini van and you'll never catch me with one of those!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's exactly what I did. I had a canvas shop make me a new boot. I think I paid $160. Now I just leave my bimini zipped to my tower and fold it against the tower. Then I wrap the new boot around the top of the tower and folder bimini. It's super quick now and no hassle.

I personally don't like the new biminis. I think the profile view is butt ugly. It might be practical but so is a mini van and you'll never catch me with one of those!
Do you have a picture of this?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I personally don't like the new biminis. I think the profile view is butt ugly
Funny how each person's perspective is so different....I thought it looked really nice and I liked the angles it creates...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like the idea behind this. What I don't like is the angled-up look.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I really like it!

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is really nice how large it is. Just wish it was more foldable/collapsible for those that trailer and store in a garage.

Everything has it's good and it's bad. Looking at how much it overhangs the sides of the boat, there's another issue that comes up, dealing with the boat rocking at docks with tall posts or edges or just getting pushed into a post.

I usually have a dock post right at where the rear of the bimini sticks out the most. Would really suck for the frame to get bent taking a whack from a post or the top material to get ripped.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe it is an optical illusion, but it appears from Julian's post of the top view, frame-only photo, that the flare on the aft end of the frame makes the Bimini top frame wider than the widest point of the hull.
In other words, if this is the case, that might (would?) make the frame the widest part of the boat and could require a special towing permit in some locales as the widest point of the boat would then be >8'6"

Please chime in, anyone, if you think or know the above is incorrect.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe it is an optical illusion, but it appears from Julian's post of the top view, frame-only photo, that the flare on the aft end of the frame makes the Bimini top frame wider than the widest point of the hull.
In other words, if this is the case, that might (would?) make the frame the widest part of the boat and could require a special towing permit in some locales as the widest point of the boat would then be >8'6"

Please chime in, anyone, if you think or know the above is incorrect.
I believe it's an optical illusion. If you look at the overhead pics of the 24' Yamaha boats with forward swept towers it makes them look at though the tower is wider than the boat when it fact they are within the 8'6" beam towing requirement.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Miss Barbie - AND myself (Does this count as two votes ???) - wanna go on record saying we love the new Tower//Bimini top combo !
Actually excited about it. It's gonna make many people VERY happy. Those that purchase 2016 242 "E" Series tower boats.
Hey ! Happy upcoming Labor Day Holiday to everyone ! Labor Day -2.gif
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got to do a little thinking. This thread does a lot of that ............ LOL !
Anyways ....... The purpose of a bimini top is to help protect those from the sun's rays, and to provide some cooling shade.
I think many of us agree that Yamaha's new 242 "E" series top, altho without ability to "Take it down," does do that in spades - Provide good shade.

Now ............. HERE in comparison is a photo showing the little teensy-weensy bimini top provided by Chaparral on their upscale 223 VRX:
chaparral_223vrx_running2_2015.jpg
Or even their top of the line, 243 VRX:

chaparral_243vrx_running2_2015.jpg

Kinda makes ya wanna jump up and shout
"NICE GOING YAMAHA !!!!!!!!!!!! Nice Bimini !"
242 Limited S E-Red-Profile_01_1024 - sm.jpg

'Nuff said ........ Let the photos do the talking.
Happy upcoming Labor Day Holiday to all ........... Labor Day.gif

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe im crazy but i go out on the boat to be in the sun. It is nice to have the option to put it up (as i have small kids) but i also want to be able to take it down (like profile pic) i dont want some crazy line/tan from a frame...

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
In my opinion the VRX compares more closely to the 242/240 bimini. Where the new E Series compares more closely the hard canvas biminis on v-drives. The E Series collapses easier and provides more shade!

20150712_131616.jpg chaparral_223vrx_running2_2015.jpg 242 Limited S E-Red-Profile_01_1024.jpg g25.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like it. The only concern I have is how far the top sticks out past the rub rail. Most users won't have issues but it might cause trouble to some. Going through locks, docking next to tall pilings or structures as examples.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I like it. The only concern I have is how far the top sticks out past the rub rail. Most users won't have issues but it might cause trouble to some. Going through locks, docking next to tall pilings or structures as examples.
The picture is an illusion. It doesn't stick out past the rail.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The picture is an illusion. It doesn't stick out past the rail.
Thank you very much for the follow up.
This is quite reassuring news.
Many Thanks and Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - On "that Lake in Georgia"

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe im crazy but i go out on the boat to be in the sun. It is nice to have the option to put it up (as i have small kids) but i also want to be able to take it down (like profile pic) i dont want some crazy line/tan from a frame...
@jlcj7 , if your kids are the right age, they could use the bimini frame as monkey bars if they get bored!