• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About that new E-Series bimini top .....

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe im crazy but i go out on the boat to be in the sun. It is nice to have the option to put it up (as i have small kids) but i also want to be able to take it down (like profile pic) i dont want some crazy line/tan from a frame...
Where I live, the sun only makes an appearance for a few months a year and I like to enjoy it while it I can. On a handful of days per year, the sun is blazing and it is nice to put the bimini out for those that want the shade. The fact that it does retract/stow is a problem for me but I can certainly appreciate those that live in hot climates will love it. I just don't understand why Yamaha couldn't come up with a solution that covered a larger area than average, but was also retractable. I also don't think the top is particularly attractive, but I know others that like it. Outside of this, I love the boat.

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The picture is an illusion. It doesn't stick out past the rail.
It may not stick out past the rub rail at the center of the boat at it's wide 8.5' mark, but I'm sorry, at it's rear most point, that picture sure makes it look like it's sticking out past the rear part of the rub rail.

At some docks, I'd worry the bimini will become the 'upper' rub rail if the boat moves on it's ropes.

Purplebeast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the amount of shade it gives..we are always scooting a round to find shade on our boat..I like the solar power also, any bit of charge is welcomed. I would like to see radio remote at the passengers side..I have enough to do pulling people than worry about turning radio up, change songs or people coming over to do it when you could have a remote there to do. Now I see you can sync motors up but can you still do separate throttles? How bout pictures on the head area, has it changed? Love the blue scheme! be awhile before I can get one..maybe a '17..lol

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
That's it! We need to attend the dealer meeting every year ... boots on the ground intel is best!
I'm thinking someone on this forum should have press credentials ... a buddy of mine has a small online auto blog and got his credentials and now gets into all of the announcements for new car launches. :winkingthumbsup"

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm thinking someone on this forum should have press credentials ... a buddy of mine has a small online auto blog and got his credentials and now gets into all of the announcements for new car launches. :winkingthumbsup"
We are getting there, our relationship with Mother Yamaha is growing!

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I really like the idea behind this. What I don't like is the angled-up look.
A couple years from now we'll all be looking at that boat saying how much we like it.

I like the look of it and I like what appears to be the coverage area of it. What I'd be concerned about is how difficult it is to deploy and store. Should be interesting. Besides, I'll be needing an excuse to trade in my little 192.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the amount of shade it gives..we are always scooting a round to find shade on our boat..I like the solar power also, any bit of charge is welcomed. I would like to see radio remote at the passengers side..I have enough to do pulling people than worry about turning radio up, change songs or people coming over to do it when you could have a remote there to do. Now I see you can sync motors up but can you still do separate throttles? How bout pictures on the head area, has it changed? Love the blue scheme! be awhile before I can get one..maybe a '17..lol
You can still operate the throttles separately. The head storage looked unchanged to me...

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A couple years from now we'll all be looking at that boat saying how much we like it.
I like the look of it and I like what appears to be the coverage area of it. What I'd be concerned about is how difficult it is to deploy and store. Should be interesting. Besides, I'll be needing an excuse to trade in my little 192.
@David D - Great post.
IF I understand your concern correctly, you do not "deploy and store."

The bimini top and structural support, for the most, "what you see is what you get."

You CAN, however, quickly lower BOTH the tower and the bimini top mechanism by simply pulling a pin on each side of the tower.
Eazy - Peazy !

Happy Labor Day to you - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Country - Georgia Labor-Day-Animated-Photos-2.gif

Last edited:

tdogg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I like the larger size but maybe not the upswept angle. I wonder if it is tall enough not to be a bother for us tall folks? The higher it sits the less shade you get in the cockpit when the sun isn't straight above.

My major concern is the ability to remove/lower the bimini quickly. I boat camp frequently at Lake Powell and we have monsoon storms that happen with real short notice. I need to be able to pull the bimini down in seconds not minutes to avoid strong winds pulling on my boat/bimini top. The bimini is a big sail and wind can cause the boat to pull up the anchor in a hurry/potentially damage the top.

Our last trip we almost lost an EZ Up due to a microburst of wind. We had three people working to lower it for maybe 30 seconds tops and it almost got mangled before we could get it collapsed. We lost two tents in that same burst, my tent broke the same pole that was replaced last season due to wind damage.

Doesn't matter for me, as I'm not about to spend $70K on a new boat. Maybe 5-7 years from now when the price point on a used boat gets reasonable.

Cheers,
Toby

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I like the larger size .... My major concern is the ability to remove/lower the bimini quickly. I boat camp frequently at Lake Powell and we have monsoon storms that happen with real short notice. I need to be able to pull the bimini down in seconds not minutes to avoid strong winds pulling on my boat/bimini top. The bimini is a big sail and wind can cause the boat to pull up the anchor in a hurry/potentially damage the top. ..... Cheers, Toby
Toby: @tdogg: On any 2016 Yamaha 24-foot 242 LS Or 2242-X "E" Series boat you NEVER "take down" NOR "put up" a bimini top.
You CAN remove the canvas but it's not particularly easy.
You also CAN fold the tower down, but we are unaware if you are able to operate the boat.
Please see this photo for further information.
242 Limited S E-Red-Folded Tower_01.jpg
Hope this helps you, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I like the larger size but maybe not the upswept angle. I wonder if it is tall enough not to be a bother for us tall folks? The higher it sits the less shade you get in the cockpit when the sun isn't straight above.

My major concern is the ability to remove/lower the bimini quickly. I boat camp frequently at Lake Powell and we have monsoon storms that happen with real short notice. I need to be able to pull the bimini down in seconds not minutes to avoid strong winds pulling on my boat/bimini top. The bimini is a big sail and wind can cause the boat to pull up the anchor in a hurry/potentially damage the top.

Our last trip we almost lost an EZ Up due to a microburst of wind. We had three people working to lower it for maybe 30 seconds tops and it almost got mangled before we could get it collapsed. We lost two tents in that same burst, my tent broke the same pole that was replaced last season due to wind damage.

Doesn't matter for me, as I'm not about to spend $70K on a new boat. Maybe 5-7 years from now when the price point on a used boat gets reasonable.

Cheers,
Toby
It is definitely not coming down in seconds like a 230 series bimini. This thing is more like a fixed T top or hard top than a quick folding bimini. So in your scenario....you'd need a bigger anchor. The bimini frame is not going to bend in wind....unless its a tornado....

tdogg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian

Ever seen a Haboob (dust storm) on the news here in AZ? I have seen them come across the lake (yes a dust storm on water). The microbursts that happen in a monsoon have strong winds and are similar to tornado's just without the twist. Normally I'm not worried about the bimini but I am worried about my boat bouncing around on the shore when the anchor doesn't hold. Thus I drop the bimini to alleviate the sail effect.

Cheers,
Toby

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian

Ever seen a Haboob (dust storm) on the news here in AZ? I have seen them come across the lake (yes a dust storm on water). The microbursts that happen in a monsoon have strong winds and are similar to tornado's just without the twist. Normally I'm not worried about the bimini but I am worried about my boat bouncing around on the shore when the anchor doesn't hold. Thus I drop the bimini to alleviate the sail effect.

Cheers,
Toby
Totally get that....just saying that with this boat...that won't be an option. Your option will be to get a bigger anchor.

Stpndeep

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had my doubts but I've lived with this top for a summer now. I've never been a big user of previous tops on other boats but this bimini has changed all that. I always put it up, once you get the hang of it it's on in just a couple of minutes and off even quicker. Not nearly as quick as the other Yamaha bimini's but oh so much better in use ability. I'm 6'2 and never need to fear banging my head even when passing thru to the swim platform or the bow. The coverage is awesome and it's strong enough to support your weight if you grab onto if you slip on the top freshly waxed fiberglass;) So in short its made me a user and it's not that much more work ... I like it.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I towed my boat 350 miles with the bimini on. The dealer said it is fine for speeds around 60mph, which is about where I stayed the entire trip. The cover looks fine to me....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I towed my boat 350 miles with the bimini on. The dealer said it is fine for speeds around 60mph, which is about where I stayed the entire trip. The cover looks fine to me....
I don't understand what is the big deal with taking it off (assuming we are talking about just the canvas of course). I saw @Glen putting those canvas on and taking them off in what seemed like under a minute or so... Am I confused?
Towing local is fine I'm sure, but 350 miles on the highway... I know mine is half the size and I fold it for the road.

--

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the tower and bimini was a major miss and that they didn't think through the design and market fit. The massive size, height and pain in folding the tower eliminates the huge portion of the market that has covered lifts (not to mention those that want easy trailering and storage).

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the tower and bimini was a major miss and that they didn't think through the design and market fit. The massive size, height and pain in folding the tower eliminates the huge portion of the market that has covered lifts (not to mention those that want easy trailering and storage).
Agreed, or people who never want the bimini open and covering the boat for shade. We only get so many sunny/warm days up here, we want all the vitamin D we can get!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't understand what is the big deal with taking it off (assuming we are talking about just the canvas of course). I saw @Glen putting those canvas on and taking them off in what seemed like under a minute or so... Am I confused?
Towing local is fine I'm sure, but 350 miles on the highway... I know mine is half the size and I fold it for the road.

--
I leave the canvas on when going local, even shorter stints on the hwy, but mindful of keeping the speeds maxed at 60'ish. Figure the cover is over-engineered for the boats 50mph speed...

I pull the canvas off when going further. Mostly for wear and tear and some reality that headwinds when driving on the hwy could expose the canvas to relative winds 10-20 mph more than vehicle speeds.

Taking the canvas off takes 90 seconds (once you've done it 2-3 times).
Putting the canvas back on takes 5 minutes (once you've done it 2-3 times). I can usually get it done in the time it takes my wife to park the car and trailer and get back to the boat.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
don't disagree (completely).
That tower is the only reason we bought the X, and on sunny days, it is where everyone wants to be.
The amount of shade it produces is unmatched in the tower market.
(It is my brides only 'non-negotiable' for boats; a lot of shade. She is a fair skinned CA girl who never sought shade for the first 30 years of her life.)

Folding the tower is not too hard.
2 big had held bolts to tip the very top back.
2 pins to fold the base forward.
I've only done it once to get a sense of the height requirement. (I don't remember now what the folded height, on trailer, is.).

Trailering is no issue with the tower...as long as you are conscious that on the trailer, that the tower is up at 11.5 feet. Fine for any road that big trucks travel on (bridges are usually set at 13.5 for trucks), but you need to be careful on local roads.

Covered storage is no doubt an issue. But everything in life, and always on boats, is about trade-offs. You can have X, but you will need to sacrifice Y.

Clearly we determined that the X was worth the trade-offs, for us.
-Lots of shade
-Solar
-Easy, high tow point
but
-Need barn (large entrance) for internal storage
-Need to be mindful of height when towing

Frankly, I think the tower is ingenious...but I don't try to keep it on a covered lift.

As a nearly 50-year-old guy, from when I first saw these '15+, 24 footers, my thought has been that Yamaha is now going after the Sea Ray, Sundeck buyers.
That is to say, the older folks who have different requirements (and means), than the typical 20-30 year-olds.

My dad had a 22' Catalina (sail) boat when he was 30. Our families first boat. He mostly stayed with that brand and sold the largest boat they make, a 47 footer, when he was 77 years old.

When you have a good brand, you try to keep your customers for a lifetime and not have them graduate out, to another manufacturer. I think Yamaha is thinking and building this way.

Last edited: