• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a Switch Panel to Yamaha Boats

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have or am in the process of adding several new electrical items to my SX230. I needed additional power to supply them and additional switches to control them.

Based on @Skysurfer2010's recommendation I ordered a switch panel from http://newwiremarine.com.

This is the switch panel as it arrived.

SwitchPanelFront.jpg

This is the backside after I soldered the wiring. I am running a new positive and negative supply from the low voltage disconnect for this panel.

SwitchPanelBackWired.jpg

There was one issue with the order which was my fault. I needed an on / off SPST switch for the trim tabs but did not indicate that in the notes. They provided a switch that was capable of adjusting the trim tabs up and down. I contacted customer service and they very graciously gave me free shipping on a $7 SPST switch to replace it. They also offered to swap the switch out for free if I sent the switch back. Their trim tab control switch is a great deal for anyone that needs one.

I am very happy with the quality of the panel, its components and the customer service provided. It is supposed to be raining with a high of 80 this weekend so I am likely to find time to get the panel installed over the weekend.

In the mean time here is a picture of @Skysurfer2010's panel installed. I plan to install behind the throttle levers.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , simulate the switch panel in that position before you cut the hole. Easy to get to when throttles neutral, not so easy to get to when running...it might make trim tab switches hard to get to when running. I found getting to my underwater light while running to be a pain.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce , simulate the switch panel in that position before you cut the hole. Easy to get to when throttles neutral, not so easy to get to when running...it might make trim tab switches hard to get to when running. I found getting to my underwater light while running to be a pain.
Mel, I tried out the position before ordering. My trim tab control is in front of the throttle levers where I can adjust the trim without taking my hand off of the throttle. These switches should not need to be actuated while under way.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok, so the switch for the trim tab on that panel isn't used underway, it is just a master switch for it?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce That looks nice and clean. Great job! I too was dissapointed in not seeing the eject button :-(

? - where did you get the tray that is mounted forward of the throttles?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce That looks nice and clean. Great job! I too was dissapointed in not seeing the eject button :-(

? - where did you get the tray that is mounted forward of the throttles?
The picture with a tray is from a newer boat that what we have. Not to hi-jack a thread but this is what I did to add a tray to our version of boat. I used a small stainless steel loaf pan and I added a glued in rubber drawer liner on the bottom.
Hour Meters.JPG

Hour Meters 1.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would help if I read the whole thing. I was thinking that was @Bruce boat. Nice job @andy07sx230ho I might need to do that. Any wires below to watch out for? I know some cables run under there somewhere. Did you add an extra cup holder too? I am new to my boat so forgive me because I have not memorized everything yet. But I thought mine just has the 1 cup holder and the extiguisher can. Now I need to go home and look at it. I want to add some to the back deck but maybe I need another one there as well. It looks good.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It would help if I read the whole thing. I was thinking that was @Bruce boat. Nice job @andy07sx230ho I might need to do that. Any wires below to watch out for? I know some cables run under there somewhere. Did you add an extra cup holder too? I am new to my boat so forgive me because I have not memorized everything yet. But I thought mine just has the 1 cup holder and the extiguisher can. Now I need to go home and look at it. I want to add some to the back deck but maybe I need another one there as well. It looks good.
I had to move the lanyard kill switch, that is the only wires in the way plus I need the room, it is now mounted in front of the throttles. Yes I removed the factory fire extinguisher can to put in the extra cup holder, the fire extinguisher is now mounting in the compartment behind the driver seat. Instead of adding cup holders to the swim deck I bought a couple of these from Academy Sports, http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/trc-recreation-kool-kaddie-floating-drink-holder/pid-802705?N=359271951&Ntt=can float&Ntk=All. However if you want to add cupholers on the swim deck @Bruce did a very nice job, https://jetboaters.net/threads/plumbing-drain-for-yamaha-swim-deck-cup-holders.1869/

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Eject switch, hahaha! I love when a manufacturer displays a sense of humor.
Or did you have that switch custom labeled? Either way it's still funny.

Years ago the bosun would have put the cat 'O nine-tails across your back or keelhauled you, now he just mashes the eject button!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am sure the thrust from our jets would be plenty for an ejection seat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wayloncle