• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another grill question

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here is the same grill on Amazon prime Catalina 2 Infrared. This is the mount I used. I used a piece of pvc to mate it to the stock table mount on the stern. The pvc make the fit tighter so it doesn't wobble. Sorry, I don't have any pics.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Was it ok to post a new thread or should I have resurrected the old thread?

Thanks Coheeba, you have the infrared grill? Same boat also, do you like it? Wish you got a different model?

You use the swim deck table mount and you created your own "table leg" out of PVC?

I would like to drill a hole in the bow, place some sort of receptical(fishing pole holder) and then have a mount on the grill snap into that. Once done, I can easily remove it, or if I don't want to use it, the fishing pole holder mounted up front won't be an eye sore

Last edited:

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No I have the Cabo. I use the stock table leg and mount on the stern and use a piece of pvc inserted in the leg and the grill mount slides into the pvc. It makes it a tighter fit so it doesn't wobble. I think it was a 1.5" pvc that inserts into the table leg and sits at the bend in the table leg. I will try to get some pics.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever you decide as far as mounting this thing, keep in mind they can get messy. It's hard to contain all the grease. You can wipe it out with paper towels after cooking, but when you pull it out of the mount to stow it, you will have grease run out of the nooks and crannies. If it were me, I would keep all cooking activites at the swim deck.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's good point about mess, I definitely don't want hot grease over the bow seats, if it gets on the swim platform, much less of an issue.

I was thinking the bow because I know there is a lot of traffic on the swim platform and I was thinking the grill would be in the way the entire time.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I usually avoid/pre-cook any really greasy food. If you precook hamburgers or sausage then you can use an aluminum throw-away pan to re-heat. Chicken, steak and fish isn't a problem. Also Sausage and peppers precooked and stored in an aluminum pan in the cooler and then just reheat is awesome. Then throw away the pan and grill is clean. :jimlad::jimlad::jimlad:[flag][flag][flag]

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
two more questions about grilling...

1. How long does one of these grills take to cool down?
2. If I added a new leg, attached it to the swim deck, can you operate the boat with the grill attached or definitely not?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2. If I added a new leg, attached it to the swim deck, can you operate the boat with the grill attached or definitely not?
My magma kettle grill has typically cooled off by time we've finished eating. @Coheeba I like the cooking in tray idea! I was already pre cooking brats...but they'd still have some grease in them...cooking them in a disposable pan is a great idea! Weber makes small aluminum grease catches for their grills that would be perfect for this use!

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Obviously it depends on the weather and the amount of time the grill has been on for the time to cool down. When I’m done grilling I burn off any off excess grease then turn it off. I leave my cover open to let it cool down faster.
I have cruised more than a few times with the grill still attached to the leg on the swim deck to get it to cool down faster. The mount to me feels very sturdy and secure. The water was not rough to the point I could loose the grill on any of the occasions. I do take the propane can off when doing so.
I am impressed with the Magma Newport 2 Infra Red. Happy with the purchase.

Babbitt’s for me was the cheapest and fastest for the additional table leg. Pwcparts.com was the fastest and cheapest on the grill/leg mount.

UpNorth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I keep a roll of aluminum foil onboard and put a new piece in the drip pan each time I grill. When I’m done I remove the piece of aluminum foil. I’ve also used the disposable aluminum pans for certain dinners and they’ve worked great.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2BFD6CAB-1D72-408A-8060-3AA276A36224.jpeg I went w/pvc inside an additional table leg and don’t find that it creates too much of a hazard for the kids... it takes about 15-20 min of cool down time enough to enjoy the meal and start cleaning up... I second the roll of aluminum foil for drip pan and grill grates simple clean up and I like the pan idea for really greasy foods but they cook great and super fast... I couldn’t see paying double the cost for the upper grate and temp gauge just use a good digital meat thermometer

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed in the bow using strait rod holders and a magma level lock mounts. Here are a few pics, let me know if you want more info.

3DA0B9AD-3EDB-4865-A008-C6BEC024C2CA.png 131600DB-09A0-428A-AAB4-ED2750C7EA10.png 7741E5C1-D697-457A-9DE4-CD63B93C35A0.png 186D0BC4-027D-497C-8781-8A448CF3A36A.png 5CAA048D-FA40-4C9A-879C-88E6306536EB.png

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My magma kettle grill has typically cooled off by time we've finished eating. @Coheeba I like the cooking in tray idea! I was already pre cooking brats...but they'd still have some grease in them...cooking them in a disposable pan is a great idea! Weber makes small aluminum grease catches for their grills that would be perfect for this use!
These work ok in the Cabo (pan)

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got all the parts to.mount the grill on the swim deck, one more question, are you guys gluing or somehow securing the PVC pipe into the table leg or just letting it sit in there?

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got all the parts to.mount the grill on the swim deck, one more question, are you guys gluing or somehow securing the PVC pipe into the table leg or just letting it sit in there?
I wrapped my pvc in duct tape until it was really snug and inserted it permanently as I have an extra leg just for the grill... seen others use different tapes or items to snug it up... I’ve found this to work the best so far as I can still turn my grill from side to side with the mount staying snug. That way I can cook either standing or turn the grill and sit on the upper platform with the grill facing me...

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a good idea. I have everything put together, I'll post pics and info of my install in case others go down the path I did.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length