• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Any scupper doctors on call?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat has been dry as a bone, but I figured I should give the old scupper an internal exam as recommended. If this is the crack I think it is, I don't think it will self destruct this season, but if I changed it tomorrow, it would probably fail under the pressure of removal. Can the scupper docs weigh in and tell me if this is where they usually crack?
image.jpg

That's exactly where mine cracked

Yep....that's it. Go ahead and place your order for the stainless one now and get it done. Prepare yourself, its not rocket science to change it, but you will be sore. Took me about 2.5 hours start to finish on my old SX210.

That is where they crack.

You should sign up for a wrench at Holder of the Scupper Wrenches.

I would want to keep the boat out of the water until that is repaired. I believe the scupper hole is large enough to defeat the bilge pump if it failed.

image.jpg

That looks about where mine cracked. Mine cracked upon removal but it didn't take much pressure.

Same as mine. It is worth the peace of mind. When you are on the water you will always be paranoid and thinking about it. Put an SS one it. Cam.

Just did mine the other day. An easy job really, but also a bit of a pain to get two arms inside to tighten it. Very glad it's done though!

Thanks guys! I will put in for the scupper wrench once I get the new scupper (or just buy that plumbing wrench at Lowes). I have been through all the scupper posts and intend to use either 3M 4200 or "boat life" life seal, which I believe was referred to as life caulk. I don't want 5200 simply in case something goes wrong on install. Question: life seal says "fast cure" and while they say 4200 is available in standard or fast cure versions, I can only find fast cure. Will that be okay?

Here is my scupper. It's above water so it's down a ways on my mod list, but I have the replacement already and eventually will get my name on the scupper wrench list.
scupperfail.jpg

Thanks guys! I will put in for the scupper wrench once I get the new scupper (or just buy that plumbing wrench at Lowes). I have been through all the scupper posts and intend to use either 3M 4200 or "boat life" life seal, which I believe was referred to as life caulk. I don't want 5200 simply in case something goes wrong on install. Question: life seal says "fast cure" and while they say 4200 is available in standard or fast cure versions, I can only find fast cure. Will that be okay?
The problem with the 3M 4200 is it only comes in a fast cure. If all goes perfect with the scupper replacement, no problem. BUT, if things don't go exactly as planned....I would consider using life caulk as there is a much longer working time and, like 4200 can still be removed if necessary.

Used maboat's recommendation for replacementboatparts.com scupper since they were good to him. Very nice packaging and friendly info included. The part shipped is noticeably shorter than the post pic https://jetboaters.net/threads/scupper.180/page-11 (actually page 8 I think) and the photo on the rbp website. It has two notched in the barb end (no nut flange) and the threaded portion will allow for only a 1" hull thickness. Think it will work before I touch (break) my old one? Shading on the removed one above looks like the hull is pretty thin there.

Thanks. Here was the link from the post http://www.replacementboatparts.com/stainlesssteelscupper112hose.aspx
The pic is not accurate. Threads are 1 1/16" deep per spec and actual part received. I think it will work okay but keeping it from turning will be a pita with just notches in the end of the barb vs. flats. Hose may be a little short but it can stretch a little. I guess I'll tell how it works out.

The hull is less than half an inch thick so length will not be an issue. The shorter thread length will make it easier to install.

My wife held ours still with her fingers on the outside while I tightened on the inside. It slipped a few times. When it did I just rotated it the rest of the way around then she applied pressure and I started tightening again.

@Seadeals. The scupper valve most have bought is the Attwood 66553-3. Here is a pic http://www.boatstore.com/stainless-...=22209859648&gclid=CJOIr_amoL4CFaE7OgodTXgAlw
That doesn't mean another won't work but I'm a little suspicious of what you got. I saw two on your site that look like they would work ok. Both were on page two and both had hose barbs. If you could post the link to the one you got it would be helpful.
Yep thats the one! Damn Gym, my Mom lives in Cotuit out on the coves. ClamShell Cove Road to be exact :winkingthumbsup"

Thanks. Here was the link from the post http://www.replacementboatparts.com/stainlesssteelscupper112hose.aspx
The pic is not accurate. Threads are 1 1/16" deep per spec and actual part received. I think it will work okay but keeping it from turning will be a pita with just notches in the end of the barb vs. flats. Hose may be a little short but it can stretch a little. I guess I'll tell how it works out.

I'm sorry for the confusion. They come in short and long versions. Although its the same stock pic for both

Part# PRE56557 Thread length 1-1/16" Overall length 2-3/4"
Part# PRE56553 Thread length 3" Overall length 5-1/4"

Either should work on our boats depending on your preference. I got the longer one and it does have a nut flange and hose barb. If yours doesn't have those contact the seller and get a replacement.

Last edited:
Yep thats the one! Damn Gym, my Mom lives in Cotuit out on the coves. ClamShell Cove Road to be exact :winkingthumbsup"
Is you're Mom there year round? If you get up this way send me a PM.

I'm sorry for the confusion. They come in short and long versions. Although its the same stock pic for both

Part# PRE56557 Thread length 1-1/16" Overall length 2-3/4"
Part# PRE56553 Thread length 3" Overall length 5-1/4"

Either should work on our boats depending on your preference. I got the longer one and it does have a nut flange and hose barb. If yours doesn't have those contact the seller and get a replacement.

My initial thinking was that the short version would be better since it would be easier to install. Spending fewer minutes bent over the back of the boat reaching deep into the bilge must be a good thing. But after sleeping on it I am remembering that there was not much slack in the factory scupper hose. So it is unlikely to be long enough to reach without extension.

Back