• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone with Lawn Sprinkler Experience?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Easy to design and install. Mine has been running 25 years. I suggest getting a controller that had a % dial. Once you get the various zone watering times figured you then dial it up or down depending on the season. Cam

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So I think I will do some digging to see exactly where the pipes run.

The sprinkler system is fed by a well pump, do you think backflow valve is still neccesary?

I think I will find where the split is for the sprinkler piping coming from the pump and put my valve box there, then run my wires into the garage. I can then keep the manual valves intact as an emergency shutoff. Later down the road I can add in piping from this junction and run sprinklers heads into the back yard.

Thoughts?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had rainbird valves running in my yard for 8 years (since I bought the house...and some # of years before that), and I've only had to replace one in 8 years. I didn't install it, but have maintained it, and yes it is that simple. Install the valves, run the wire back to the control box and off you go! You'll want some valve boxes to put the valves in so that IF you have to replace/mess with them you can.

If you are considering added more zones in the future....run the wires once and just leave them in the box closest to where you may add a zone (like a drop zone).
I've had rainbird for 18 years. I haven't had to replace anything...pop ups, rotating heads, etc. The only think I did was to install skydrop controller. Best decision I've ever made with regards to sprinkler.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I think I will do some digging to see exactly where the pipes run.

The sprinkler system is fed by a well pump, do you think backflow valve is still neccesary?

I think I will find where the split is for the sprinkler piping coming from the pump and put my valve box there, then run my wires into the garage. I can then keep the manual valves intact as an emergency shutoff. Later down the road I can add in piping from this junction and run sprinklers heads into the back yard.

Thoughts?
If it is not connected to city water then a backflow preventer isn't needed. It is essentially a one-way-valve that prevents water from flowing back in the city system.
Your plan sounds good.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't had to replace anything...pop ups, rotating heads, etc
Lucky guy! I have neighbors, delivery truck, contractors etc that have radar for my sprinkler heads and LOVE to drive over them whenever they can!!!!! I want to put tire spikes around them...but have relented to only using large rocks. One of which the USPS driver drove over and lifted his whole truck up onto!!!! I watched while he did this....amazingly....he missed my sprinkler head that time!!!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lucky guy! I have neighbors, delivery truck, contractors etc that have radar for my sprinkler heads and LOVE to drive over them whenever they can!!!!! I want to put tire spikes around them...but have relented to only using large rocks. One of which the USPS driver drove over and lifted his whole truck up onto!!!! I watched while he did this....amazingly....he missed my sprinkler head that time!!!
I didn't say I didn't have to work on it, just not replace anything! ;)

I have a 90' back driveway that has sprinkler heads all just off of the concrete. My wife doesn't quiet stay on the concrete sometimes. I'm fortunate that one hasn't broke, but it did drive them down over time and I've had to dig up and raise with a new riser.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 90' back driveway that has sprinkler heads all just off of the concrete. My wife doesn't quiet stay on the concrete sometimes. I'm fortunate that one hasn't broke, but it did drive them down over time and I've had to dig up and raise with a new riser.
Whenever mine are driven on it cracks the L bend connector attached to the bottom of the head. I hired a sprinker guy to work on mine, and he can dig out and replace the L bend in 2 minutes....for me that is always 15-30, some swearing, some grunting, and a promise that next time I'll just pay someone to do it! LOL

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whenever mine are driven on it cracks the L bend connector attached to the bottom of the head. I hired a sprinker guy to work on mine, and he can dig out and replace the L bend in 2 minutes....for me that is always 15-30, some swearing, some grunting, and a promise that next time I'll just pay someone to do it! LOL
If you ever need to raise more than several sprinkler heads this is a great tool to have... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0N1FN2/ref=asc_df_B00L0N1FN25437210/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00L0N1FN2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123712426&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3740046599827680125&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026842&hvtargid=pla-370253127557#customerReviews

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Somebody with a lot of money once explained to me how to value my time and it was very simple.
Him- how much do they charge for a car was?
Me- about $30
Him- how long would it take you to wash your car?
Me- about 1 1/2 hours
Him- do you make more or less than $30 in an hour and a half? That will tell you if it’s worth paying or DIY.
I have never washed another vehicle in 15 years!!
He did add that if it’s something you enjoy doing it then take it as a stress relief and DIY.

Hope it makes sense
I have my teeanage since sons soak, sponge wash, rinse and microfiber cloth dry, and vacuum two cars at the same time. Then I come behind them with the buffer. The pressure washer helps it go faster and do a good job. They get the privalge of riding in the cars now and driving them soon enough. I also buy them ice cream later that day in the summer.

I do agree with the principle though. Problem is I am very particular so I do a lot myself that the formula would dictate that I pay someone for.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Reading this thread because I now need to install a drip zone for my wife’s new trees and bushes. Thinking this will be a just hire someone situation with 100’ of buried pipe to run and me not wanting to mess with it. Especially after deciding to remove a stump with an axe last weekend. Stump is gone. Hands, wrists, arms, and back still remember it though.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Reading this thread because I now need to install a drip zone for my wife’s new trees and bushes. Thinking this will be a just hire someone situation with 100’ of buried pipe to run and me not wanting to mess with it. Especially after deciding to remove a stump with an axe last weekend. Stump is gone. Hands, wrists, arms, and back still remember it though.
I’ve take out two stumps at my house. Quickly learned a few minutes with ax/chainsaw, some water, and 400lbs of torque from the hemi gets the job done very easily

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve take out two stumps at my house. Quickly learned a few minutes with ax/chainsaw, some water, and 400lbs of torque from the hemi gets the job done very easily
Was a lot easier when I ownered a chainsaw and my hemi fit in my back yard. No longer the case :( Still getting use to HOA fenced in living.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Was a lot easier when I ownered a chainsaw and my hemi fit in my back yard. No longer the case :( Still getting use to HOA fenced in living.
That really sucks. I probably would have taken off a day in the middle of the week and took out a section of the fence. Of course I don’t care for rules that get in my way lol

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So I got to do some testing on my current system. I have significantly more sprinkler heads than I thought... many were buried and can only be seen when they are turned on. I also spent a few hours chasing down piping in my side yard. For about 90 minutes I kept getting more questions than answers, but I finally figured it out, along with two super buried sprinkler heads and a buried turn on valve. I still have yet to determine how this side is fed, I have an idea, but there is a good size pipe coming from around the other side of the house I believe... but no sprinkler heads along the way (that I am aware of).

So as of now I think I am going to replace all the sprinkler heads just to start fresh. I think a lot of these need to be raised up as well. I then need to install two boxes to house the solenoids, one on the north side of the house and one on the south.... and then install my solenoids and run wire for it.

Any tips are appreciated. Going to the movies tonight and Home Depot is next door so I will drop in to take a look at product they have.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have well water and a 12 zone system. Whn I bought the house in March 2017, I started up the system soon after. After chasing leaks, replacing defective heads and overall frustration, I gave up mid way thru summer last year and just let it do it it’s thing.

Last month, I hired a local sprinkler guy. BEST $200.00 I ever spent.

My only suggestion would be to use PVC leading into your valve boxes. Most of my leaks were in the poly tubing in or around the boxes.

Also replace heads with commercial grade products (not Depot or Lowe’s products). Might cost you 2x as much but they will last. All the heads he had to replace where box store specials.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am a huge fan of this site and have made numerous purchases over the last few years. Excellent pricing and quick shipping. I'm a big believer in the prior discussion re: "My Time VS My Money" but had a difficult time paying $65 per sprinkler head replaced. Last summer I purchased 16 Hunter I-25 rotors and my kids and I swapped out 11. Took us a couple of hours and saved a few hundred dollars. By the end we had an assembly line going so this year, if needed, it will go much faster.

If you have a larger piece of property and don't want to have to walk back and forth from the control box I highly recommend a remote control. I purchased the Hunter ROAM kit. It allows you to turn the system on/off as well as selecting the zone remotely. My lot is nearly 700' deep so it is a major time saver for me. With the included instructions it took me longer to run over to Lowes and purchase a few items than to actually install the remote.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my guy over a few weeks ago. He was here around 5 hours. Replaced some bad wires, 1 solenoid, 3 or 4 heads, adjusted all my heads, and ran an overall system check. Bill was $264. Next day I ran the system and saw I had an error message again on a different zone. Called him up, he came by the next day and replaced another solenoid and just left a bill next to my controller in the garage for $70. System runs like a charm now and I can honestly say it was the best money ever spent for this kind of stuff.

On a related note, I have always shunned the yard treatment guys with the ole saying, "why pay for something so easy I can do myself". Well after battling weeds every year and just guessing at what my yard needs and analyzing what I spend in insecticides and fertilizer plus weed killer I decided to call and get quotes from 4 local lawn treatment companies. I signed up with one located here locally by me for the yearly fee of about $380 which includes 7 treatments plus I had them throw in the extra $130 grub treatment for free. This is another one of those where a pro can do it a lot better and once you factor the cost of doing it yourself plus the time it's worth it to pay a little more I think.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bought the Rachio from Georgia Power when they were running a rebate on it, after installing it I had a ton of problems, was hard to navigate, etc, I sent it back. Ordered this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rainmachine-8-Zone-Smart-Wi-Fi-Sprinkler-Controller-SPK2-8/207052601?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-AllProducts|&gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZmp71wYlq-R18vhJJ_qqg0mP0qL7E_gSvB7U4RP56jt7TSMk4GCwzRoCHf4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM2Fu-OYidsCFUsHgQod9qME7Q

and love it. Had it running in 20 minutes.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Bought the Rachio from Georgia Power when they were running a rebate on it, after installing it I had a ton of problems, was hard to navigate, etc, I sent it back. Ordered this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rainmachine-8-Zone-Smart-Wi-Fi-Sprinkler-Controller-SPK2-8/207052601?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-AllProducts|&gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZmp71wYlq-R18vhJJ_qqg0mP0qL7E_gSvB7U4RP56jt7TSMk4GCwzRoCHf4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM2Fu-OYidsCFUsHgQod9qME7Q

I wonder if it was the Gen 1 or Gen 2. I picked up the Gen 2, and I have it hooked up (no zones wired in yet) and I had it up and running in a few minutes.

I haven't made much progress on this project. I have two solenoids installed, but one I need to redo as my PVC glueing skills failed me . I still need to run wire for everything. I found where I am going to connect on the other side of the house so that is a plus. Also while doing so front lawn upgrades (ripping out trees and overgrown weeds that look like plants now) I found the piping that goes to the far side of the yard. I am going to T into this and run more sprinkler heads across the main yard.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have Skydrop. I don't think it was as pricey as it is now when I bought it but you can get a refurb for $125. Regardless of which type, if you can control it from mobile phone it is a god send when working on system.