• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar240 Bimini top?

Badees

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just bought an ar240 2016 and was wondering if you could buy the Bimini top like the 242x or limited s that stayed out all the time? Don't need solar panels

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think you can because the tower is completely different and the Bimini has a steel frame.

Badees

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I take my tower off and replace with 242x tower?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That option I have no clue about.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I know that at least one member went the other way and put a non E Series tower on his E Series 242 ls. So I imagine you could probably do it. I imagine it would cost a pretty penny.

Badees

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it would work I would be willing to trade and add cash if someone was interested?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ok nevermind...forward swept tower's bimini is way too small

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose developed a very cool AR240 bimini extension, patent pending.

--

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where can I find out more about the MrMoose bimini extension?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just bought an ar240 2016 and was wondering if you could buy the Bimini top like the 242x or limited s that stayed out all the time? Don't need solar panels
I'm sure a dealer could purchase the parts for you, but it wouldn't be cheap...

The canvas is $336
Tower $7661 (but perhaps you could get them to trade for your tower)

Still an expensive proposition...

A good canvas shop should be able to fabricate extensions for you to the existing bimini....

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where can I find out more about the MrMoose bimini extension?
4 small clamps (per flag), 3 feet of bungee cord, three 3-foot lengths of half-inch tube (I used aluminum, but SS would be better), 1 foot of solid rod (od=id of tube), two Bomb Wake flag holders, some small nuts, bolts and washers, about 10 inches of noodle, and your favorite 3x5 banner/flag... it takes about a minute to set up. I've used it in 15 to 20 mph winds and it holds fine. I've slow-cruised (13 mph) with it too, but I wouldn't expect it to hold like a normal bimini top would under tougher conditions. The flag holder brackets stay mounted to the tower. The support rod assemblies are held together as one piece by the bungee cord, but will fold down to 3 feet in length for storage. The support rods will float when dropped in the water (noodle). I have 3 different flags that are interchangeable, based on my mood... Yamaha or Kenny Chesney. The flags have a spring clamp mounted to each corner using bolts, uv resistant glue and washers, and when not being used as a bimini extension, I usually hang them from the side of the bimini to stop direct sunlight from coming in from the side. It's easy to make, easy to install, easy to store, and really cost effective. I use the system every time I anchor.

ar240 bimini extension.jpg
I used it quite a bit in Bimini this year since two crew members have skin cancer issues.
GOPR0808.JPG
@RadioWaves, let me know if you have any questions.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
4 small clamps (per flag), 3 feet of bungee cord, three 3-foot lengths of half-inch tube (I used aluminum, but SS would be better), 1 foot of solid rod (od=id of tube), two Bomb Wake flag holders, some small nuts, bolts and washers, about 10 inches of noodle, and your favorite 3x5 banner/flag... it takes about a minute to set up. I've used it in 15 to 20 mph winds and it holds fine. I've slow-cruised (13 mph) with it too, but I wouldn't expect it to hold like a normal bimini top would under tougher conditions. The flag holder brackets stay mounted to the tower. The support rod assemblies are held together as one piece by the bungee cord, but will fold down to 3 feet in length for storage. The support rods will float when dropped in the water (noodle). I have 3 different flags that are interchangeable, based on my mood... Yamaha or Kenny Chesney. The flags have a spring clamp mounted to each corner using bolts, uv resistant glue and washers, and when not being used as a bimini extension, I usually hang them from the side of the bimini to stop direct sunlight from coming in from the side. It's easy to make, easy to install, easy to store, and really cost effective. I use the system every time I anchor.

View attachment 42820
I used it quite a bit in Bimini this year since two crew members have skin cancer issues.
View attachment 42821
@RadioWaves, let me know if you have any questions.
Nice! How are you attaching the side curtain/flag?

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great idea and I am sure it will help. I have had 2 bouts with melanoma so just like your wife i need the shade. Thanks again

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice! How are you attaching the side curtain/flag?
Regardless of where I use them, all of my 3x5 flags have a small spring clamp affixed to each corner (using SS/brass washers, bolt, nut, uv resistant glue so that the flag doesn't rip). When using a flag on the side, on the top edge, I just clamp onto the edge of the Yamaha bimini top. On the bottom edge, I clamp onto the windshield frame, and around the tower tube back onto the flag itself. I have some 6 inch mini bungee cords from Home Depot that I use to hook the bottom clamp to a side cleat if the wind is strong enough to pull the bottom clamp off of the windshield frame. It sounds more complicated than it really is. It takes 15 seconds to set up a side flag. I went with flags because they are cheap, thin, strong, and pack really well. I store each of mine separately in a ziploc bag then put all the ziplocs into a nylon bag that I keep all of my flags in. Takes no space, really light and doesn't get tangled and dirty.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great idea and I am sure it will help. I have had 2 bouts with melanoma so just like your wife i need the shade. Thanks again
It makes a huge difference. Although it all depends on the direction of the sun, I find the side flags make the biggest difference. Without them, my cockpit seating area is usually 2/3 exposed to direct sun. I expect that the side shade flags would be a good mod for the 2016 boats that have the bigger bimini, but the big bimini would not stop the sun coming in from the sides.

Brandon240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everybody,

This is my first post so I hope I don't mess it up haha.

I know this is an old post but I may have a way to help other people with the small Ar240 bimini issue.

I myself was also trying to figure out a way to extend mine because the shade coverage sitting in the driver seat was not the greatest.

So, I decided to try something. I took my bimini canvas off and took it to a local upholstery shop and had them add 18 inches to it. I had them add it a couple inches in front of the hole for the tow point. Then I went to a local metal distributor and bought 3/4 inch stainless steel tubing 1/8 inch thick for the new longer supports. Figured the new longer supports would need to be quite a bit stronger so that's why I chose the thicker SS material. It fit the support holes in the tower perfect. I added a slight bend to them and still kept clearance for my 6'2" height so I wouldn't forget and hit my head. It doesn't fix sun from the side but it's a nice addition when the sun is straight up.

Total cost $250. Cheap fix for the less than adequate top.

20180803_184616.jpg 20180803_184536.jpg 20180803_184414.jpg

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everybody,

This is my first post so I hope I don't mess it up haha.

I know this is an old post but I may have a way to help other people with the small Ar240 bimini issue.

I myself was also trying to figure out a way to extend mine because the shade coverage sitting in the driver seat was not the greatest.

So, I decided to try something. I took my bimini canvas off and took it to a local upholstery shop and had them add 18 inches to it. I had them add it a couple inches in front of the hole for the tow point. Then I went to a local metal distributor and bought 3/4 inch stainless steel tubing 1/8 inch thick for the new longer supports. Figured the new longer supports would need to be quite a bit stronger so that's why I chose the thicker SS material. It fit the support holes in the tower perfect. I added a slight bend to them and still kept clearance for my 6'2" height so I wouldn't forget and hit my head. It doesn't fix sun from the side but it's a nice addition when the sun is straight up.

Total cost $250. Cheap fix for the less than adequate top.

View attachment 80486 View attachment 80487 View attachment 80488
Fantastic!
I want this, have been thinking of something like that for a while. Do you mind me asking if the tubes are welded to support bars?

Also - how does the extension hold at speed?

--

Brandon240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey swatski,

I don't mind any questions. I'll help any way I can.

I wish I could have welded it. The fact that the tower is aluminum and my new extension tubes are stainless steel wouldn't allow that.

As far as the extensions holding at speed... I'm not 100% sure yet lol. I just got it all together tonight. I can update you on that after I get off the lake tomorrow. I don't forsee it being an issue though. I think the stronger SS and the downward bend will have a slight aerodynamic down force that should hold it from flapping.

If it is a little unstable, additional tie back tubes going from the front outer edges back to the vertical part of the tower at an angle will suffice. If I have to do that I'll post additional pics

I'll for sure let you know tomorrow.