• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 damaged in delivery..would you buy it?

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a buddy that contacted me this week and his buddy has a brand new zero hour, no oil ever added, AR240 that was damaged while unloading from the delivery trailer. It was apparently dropped which damaged the gel coating on the bottom and the bracketry which hold the tower on. The gel coat has been repaired but the guy selling it now has decided to let the buyer source the tower bracketry. Since mine is a 2013 I am not privy to the particulars on the tower connections on the new model boats.

He is thinking of asking $45,000 for it. I don't know if this is a good deal or what, I probably could have gotten it for $40,000 if I were in the market, and that seemed like a good deal if, after a close inspection it looked good and the tower needs were readliy available to get that tower back on.

Anyway, what say JB.net? Anyone need a boat? Does this seem like a good bargain? I think they called me wanting to offer it to me thinking it would be an upgrade to my boat but I have the 242LS.

I have a pic of it on my phone that I'll try to upload.

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a dealer sale? I would insist they throw in a 5 year YES warranty. From what height was it dropped from? Do they have pics of the damage? I would probably go for it considering the items I mentioned.

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not a dealer sale. Im not sure how this guy got a hold of the boat, but as far as I know it is being sold by a boat repair place. I don't know the particulars, but your expectations are good tips. As for your other questions, I did not ask for details since I was not interested, its just that the whole ordeal has intrigued me....$40,000 for a new boat with 0 hours would be hard to pass up if it passed my inspection and whatnot, if I were in the market for a new boat.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd be too afraid of unseen damage, spider cracks etc etc. if it fell hard enough to damage the tower I think there is gonna be all sorts of issues down the road. Engine mounts cracks, misaligned engines. $40K is still a huge risk even if it is a good price.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if it's a salvaged title.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If they can't show you the damage (and unless it's only cosmetic) Don't walk away, RUN

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My biggest concern would be drive train damage. A water test would be absolutely required! Also call Yamaha with the VIN and ask them if they will sell you a YES warranty...they might refuse if they know what happened to it. Also, the YES probably won't cover the damage/issues anyway.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Run.

Being a new boat and not being sold by a dealer is a big red flag. The boat might have had major structural damage that is now hidden. Did they fix it properly? Will problems surface later? I would pass on this one.

My gut is that this place unloads the boats for your local dealer. They dropped it and damaged it. The dealer said pay me my cost and it's yours to fix and sell.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"Hell hath no fury like a boat scorned !"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A pig in a poke BIGTIME

tomfoolery

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
There are a lot of boats out there that have never been dropped.....
Walk away.

Knot Practical

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like it was total loss with a fancy repair job that's still not complete. I'd pass

Bousbous55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
With 0 hours and a bad history, I would pass.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Absolutely not.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
So this is what it's like when everyone Posts in agreement. Kinda boring! Now back to reading whether my plugs should be in or out... No agreement there. :D

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So this is what it's like when everyone Posts in agreement. Kinda boring! Now back to reading whether my plugs should be in or out... No agreement there. :D
I'll stir the pot a little bit. ;)

You need to find out if the boat has a salvage title or not. If it's "clean" on paper, contact yamaha and attempt to purchase a YES warranty or whatever. Tell them the truth, but leave out the "boat has been dropped" part. Just say, "there is a brand new boat being sold by (insert name of the place) that I am interested in purchasing, but they don't seem to be too knowledgable about the YES program or whatever." If yamaha doesn't know, and it's not listed anywhere, you could pick it up, put the tower on, then trade it on a 2016. ;)

In all seriousness, without knowing how hard of a hit it took, it's tough to say for sure. Boats do not live cozy lives out in the water either. The hull is built to take a beating, so it's possible the damage was purely cosmetic from a hull standpoint. I'm sure the tower is damaged because it got hung up on something on the way down. The brackets are probably the engineered weak link on the tower, designed to sheer prior to ripping the attach point out of the boat. I'd imagine that the original dealer or whoever dumped the boat after an insurance claim. A salvage shop most likely purchased it from the insurance company, fixed it up, and are looking to sell it for a profit. If it is fixed correctly, and it probably is, you could end up with a very nice boat at a discount. It will have a blemished title with it most likely though.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I kinda see it like a house we looked at buying here in San Antonio, the house was beautiful, lots of upgrades throughout the whole house compared to other comparables in the neighborhood and was a good price. Then I noticed two square patches of new concrete in the driveway close to the house. The sellers disclosure shows the foundation had damage and was repaired, they drilled into the foundation throughout the house to do the repair, that's why it had brand new floors. It is still for sale, no one wants to take the risk of buying it and not being able to sell it because of its history. The repair is done and has a warranty...for the repair work.

It could be a good deal for someone that is going to keep it forever and is willing to take the risk that the repair is done correctly.