• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar250 taking on water

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After two trips out on our new AR250 we’ve found two issues. The first had already been checked out and somewhat improved although I’m not going to say repaired. When you let go of the steering wheel at cruising speed, the boat had a moderate but very definite pull to the right, almost a right turn. The second is the clean out ports for the jet impellers. Both times we’ve taken the boat out, not swimming or water sports but just riding, a fair amount of water drained from the boat plug. Upon checking the clean out ports, both were full of water and apparently draining into the bow of the boat. Both port plugs were sealed and locked properly. Is this how a Yamaha boat works or is this an issue?
trying to love the boat I’ve wanted for years but nowhere near what I was hoping for.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
After two trips out on our new AR250 we’ve found two issues. The first had already been checked out and somewhat improved although I’m not going to say repaired. When you let go of the steering wheel at cruising speed, the boat had a moderate but very definite pull to the right, almost a right turn. The second is the clean out ports for the jet impellers. Both times we’ve taken the boat out, not swimming or water sports but just riding, a fair amount of water drained from the boat plug. Upon checking the clean out ports, both were full of water and apparently draining into the bow of the boat. Both port plugs were sealed and locked properly. Is this how a Yamaha boat works or is this an issue?
trying to love the boat I’ve wanted for years but nowhere near what I was hoping for.
Not sure how a clean out port would drain into the bow of the boat? I'm taking it you mean bildge, my clean out plug has water on it after every outing, that is normal. But when I pull drain plugs almost absolutely nothing comes out everytime. At this point I'm glad I have a 2018 after all of these threads about the newer boats

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how a clean out port would drain into the bow of the boat? I'm taking it you mean bildge, my clean out plug has water on it after every outing, that is normal. But when I pull drain plugs almost absolutely nothing comes out everytime. At this point I'm glad I have a 2018 after all of these threads about the newer boats
Yes, my wording was incorrect. The bilge has water in it, not the bow. It’s a little reassuring that they are full of water after every use and thanks for the reply. We’ve only taken it out twice and the bilge pump has yet to engage so maybe it’s not a big issue but I’m used to hours on the water and nothing coming out of the Boat when I pull the plug. Nevertheless, documentation of the new boat has begun.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, my wording was incorrect. The bilge has water in it, not the bow. It’s a little reassuring that they are full of water after every use and thanks for the reply. We’ve only taken it out twice and the bilge pump has yet to engage so maybe it’s not a big issue but I’m used to hours on the water and nothing coming out of the Boat when I pull the plug. Nevertheless, documentation of the new boat has begun.
Your clean out ports are the two big removable plugs you can reach down and grab the impeller shaft. Completely normal to have them full of water after a day on the water. How much water are you getting in the bilge? These Yamahas are notorious for leaking some water through the forward anchor locker drain, that drain isn’t sealed very well and water from outside as your cruising comes through the drain hole and in between the hull, and makes its way to the back of the boat.

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your clean out ports are the two big removable plugs you can reach down and grab the impeller shaft. Completely normal to have them full of water after a day on the water. How much water are you getting in the bilge? These Yamahas are notorious for leaking some water through the forward anchor locker drain, that drain isn’t sealed very well and water from outside as your cruising comes through the drain hole and in between the hull, and makes its way to the back of the boat.
I’d have to say 2-3 gallons after an hour or two on the water. In the compartment that you access the ports, there are drain holes going into the bilge. It seems that the water is going from the ports, through the drain holes and ending in the bilge. More than I would expect after an hour or two on smooth water.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure they are going into the bilge? Or do they connect to a hose that goes out under the swim deck?

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you sure they are going into the bilge? Or do they connect to a hose that goes out under the swim deck?
Not sure how Yamaha does theirs but I’m used to pulling the plug and nothing coming out. Whatever the case, I don’t believe I should be getting gallons of water out of the drain after floating for a couple of hours.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Water in the clean out ports is 100% normal, nothing to worry about there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would assume a few things. You will always have some water coming out. We all do. Whether it is from the anchor locker or wash over the swim platform. The holes you mention, I am pretty sure at least they are on my boat, are connected to a tube that empties under your swim platform. What I would assume is that the water is entering around your hatch. Your model is new so not many pictures of the hatch. I would also assume that your cleanout plugs that are in the hatch are full water as well which is normal, it is coming from the top as wash up or wash over.
Of course it could be a non sealed scupper or something else. There are several threads here with possible solutions and different solutions.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jroyal69

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess jet boats take on water that other boats do not. I’ll keep an eye on that.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not Jet boats per say. The Yamaha design with the clean out ports, which is awesome, has a bit of side effect because of the design. It doesn't hurt anything, you can seal it up more if you like, see thread, but when you need to use the clean out ports on the water, it is great that they are there.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will add a couple of comments. None of these boats will track straight when you take your hands off the wheel. They are like a big jet ski, they will circle around you if you go MOB, man over board, depending on the speed and if you are wearing the now required lanyard, it will shut down. We usually set up our bimini after leaving the marina, due to windage. We will stop out on the Lake, throttles in neutral and the boat will start a circle as we are putting up the bimini. I can correct this on my boat by splitting the throttles, one bumped into reverse. But I don't mind the circle, as I know the boat will not travel off in someone elses path.

As far as water getting in, there are a few places from where water will enter. The anchor locker thru hull not being long enough or sealed is one source for water in the bilge. I say bilge as in the true bilge below the engine compartment bilge pump. The seal on the clean out plug tray is another source for water in the bilge. Water in the clean out plug tube(s) is most likely back wash up the drain line while in reverse. Water in the cleanout tubes will drain out of the boat thru the jet pump tunnel and out the intake grate, while on land. On the water, you can pull the cleanouts to get rid of the water. You will see the lake/sea water maintain a static level below. It will not come in the boat. I would check the seal on the cleanout tray. While on the trailer, pull the bilge drain plug and pour a 5 gallon bucket of water onto the cleanout tray, with the cleanout plugs installed. If it leaks, you will see water draining from the bilge drain. Doing a proper sealing job is easy and should have been done at the factory. Again check the anchor locker drain thru hull install.

Edit: I have read here of one instance of the cleanout tray drain hose not being connected to the drain fitting, dumping that water in the boat. You can check by removing the round cover on the inspection port and looking/feeling around in there.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would also like to add, the pulling to the right during higher speeds is probably due to nozzles out of alignment. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has a guide for fixing that. His system will also correct any tracking issues at lower speeds.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The anchor locker thru hull not being long enough or sealed is one source for water in the bilge. I say bilge as in the true bilge below the engine compartment bilge pump. The seal on the clean out plug tray is another source for water in the bilge. Water in the clean out plug tube(s) is most likely back wash up the drain line while in reverse.
I experienced these two issues as well.

For the anchor locker I just settled on using a live well plug (I believe 5/8" by invincible marine is what I settled on; tried attwood as well) when I take the boat out to minimize water coming in, and then I just pull it and set it on the anchor chain and rope when I put the boat back at the marina on the trailer.

For the cleanout plug tray, I had the dealer properly seal the tray under warranty. Both seemed to help prevent a decent amount of the water ingress.