• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Asking for advice. <SX190 or SX210>

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and hope to remain a contributing member going forward, but I was wondering if I could ask for your opinions.

I'm currently looking at buying my first boat, and am stuck trying to figure out which direction to go.

Here are the boats:
2012 SX190 for $16,500. Boat is in very good condition. Other than some minor dock rash, nothing wrong with it. they installed some vector-ish type things, but I'm not positive what they went with. Single axel trailer.

2006 SX210 for $17,500. Also in pretty good shape. There are some scratches in the gel coat that are deep enough to not be just buffable. The center windshield has a bit of damage on the top railing. Some aftermarket JL audio equipment was installed, including an amp and sub. Nothing crazy special, but installed nonetheless. Also a second battery. The gas gauge has some weird hiccups. Trailer is tandem, but had a good amount of early stage rusting on it. Boat also has small cobra Jets on it.

I guess I'm curious what you guys would suggest on this one. The size difference is negligible for me, other than the smaller size would be easier for my SUV to tow. Wouldn't be doing any crazy water sports or anything other than just goofing around.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you in advance!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This being your first boat I would say they don't get any more simple to use and maintain than a SX190. Everything else being equal, that would be a low(er) risk purchase, IMO. And most definitely easy to tow and store.

2012 was the first year of production of a Yamaha single engine, and they have proven to be about as bulletproof as their jet skis. I had one of those for two or three seasons, loved it, would still have it if it wasn't for my large, growing family, lol.

The 190s are loud, stupid loud. May want to pay attention to that when you water test.
And they are impossible to keep tracking strait at slow speeds - but that's easy fix with Cobra fins.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with the 190 too. And for that price point is not going to hurt if you put a new scratch on it.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Having just bought a boat my self, it’s the little things that will Nickle and done you to death. I’ve still got another 5k to spend to get the boat I just bought to where I want it. That being said look over the 190 relentlessly, and start looking at all the little things it may need that aren’t in proper working order and start adding them up, maybe the seller will come down in price more. Keep us posted and best of luck with the sale, where are you located at? Have you looked in the classified section here?

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I guess the more important question regarding the 190 is will the family be comfortable in it out on the lake? Room to take a couple friends if you desire? Coolers, gear, etc?

Only ask because it may cause twofootitis (or more) within a short time.

Between the two modes I’m not help as I’m newer to jet boats also!

Good luck shopping and keep us posted!!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
This being your first boat, I'd go with the single engine 190. That's what I did. I thought small, light, nimble, easy maintenance, easy to pull, would not require heavy lift was the way to go. I kept it for 3 years. Had lots of fun that I would not trade for anything. I would normally say get your 2nd boat first but this being your fist boat, I'd get this one.

Oh, welcome to the forum. :Welcome: Tons of great info here with very knowledgeable people to help put you and keep you on the water. Good luck and post pictures when you pick her up.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This being your first boat I would say they don't get any more simple to use and maintain than a SX190. Everything else being equal, that would be a low(er) risk purchase, IMO. And most definitely easy to tow and store.

2012 was the first year of production of a Yamaha single engine, and they have proven to be about as bulletproof as their jet skis. I had one of those for two or three seasons, loved it, would still have it if it wasn't for my large, growing family, lol.

The 190s are loud, stupid loud. May want to pay attention to that when you water test.
And they are impossible to keep tracking strait at slow speeds - but that's easy fix with Cobra fins.

--
Thank you for the help here. How does the single engine compare to the double engines? I know that this was the first year for the single engines, but are they powerful enough? I mean, granted it's only a like 4-5 mph difference on paper, I guess.

My search initially started with an LX2000 that ended up being beat to shit, but it handled nicely. After that, I was looking at 20ft I/o boats, before ultimately deciding on the Yamaha jets. The only boat sub-20ft I tested was a Bayliner 185, and that thing got tossed around by the water.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to have that same issue with the sx190, or if it'll be smooth going through the water.

Thanks, again!

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess the more important question regarding the 190 is will the family be comfortable in it out on the lake? Room to take a couple friends if you desire? Coolers, gear, etc?

Only ask because it may cause twofootitis (or more) within a short time.

Between the two modes I’m not help as I’m newer to jet boats also!

Good luck shopping and keep us posted!!!
That's part of what I'm wondering. Currently, I'm just a single guy so the family isn't much of an issue and wouldn't necessarily have it loaded up full with people everytime, but I know everyone says to buy your second boat first. I just don't want to buy the sx190 and then want to get a 210 in a year.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This being your first boat, I'd go with the single engine 190. That's what I did. I thought small, light, nimble, easy maintenance, easy to pull, would not require heavy lift was the way to go. I kept it for 3 years. Had lots of fun that I would not trade for anything. I would normally say get your 2nd boat first but this being your fist boat, I'd get this one.

Oh, welcome to the forum. :Welcome: Tons of great info here with very knowledgeable people to help put you and keep you on the water. Good luck and post pictures when you pick her up.
It seems like the consensus is that I should go with the 190, but then most are saying they had one and then switched after a couple of years.

Realistically, if that's going to happen, shouldn't I still look at the whole buy your second boat first? Are the engines and maintenance that much different between the two boats?

And thank you! I'll certainly keep you all updated!

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having just bought a boat my self, it’s the little things that will Nickle and done you to death. I’ve still got another 5k to spend to get the boat I just bought to where I want it. That being said look over the 190 relentlessly, and start looking at all the little things it may need that aren’t in proper working order and start adding them up, maybe the seller will come down in price more. Keep us posted and best of luck with the sale, where are you located at? Have you looked in the classified section here?
Yeah, I already have a marina that will be doing a full used boat check on whatever I go with, so hopefully that should help cover anything like that.

I'm located in Minneapolis. I didn't even know that there was a classified section here...

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

--
Oh! Meant to ask. From what I can gather the 190 doesn't have a depth finder, but the 210 does. I would love to avoid having a big fish finder sitting on the dash... How easy is it to put a regular OEM style finder in?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would go for the 210. Not sure what your range is, but you can realistically find a 210 several years newer for 20-22k. I traded my 2011 210 and got 17k for the trade. I’m pretty sure they sold it for close to 20.

Also, if you have the space, I would definitely opt for the AR models with the tower. Even if you aren’t into tow sports yet, once you have one you’ll find all sorts of uses for it. Hanging speakers and towels from it, holding on to it while getting on/off the boat, and just holding on to it at the dock. And, they have a bit better resale value.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Theryan My wife and I bought a 19ft Runabout as our first boat. Before we were married. 6 adults for a long day in the sun in comfortable on this sized vehicle. I'm gonna guess you're past college age, but before married with kids age. For me that was 24-28. The 19ft size makes a lot of sense here IMO. NOW, the AR190 we have is about the same size as our last 19ft Rinker. HOWEVER, the layout hits far above it's overall length would suggest. 6 adults is still the appropriate number of people, but it's significantly more comfortable on this boat than the last.

IMO, the 190/192/195 series of Yamaha boats is THE value leader in this size. You can get more boat for less money, and they are amazingly easy to take care of. Compared to my old Rinker, this boat is so much easier to deal with. No transmission, no bellow, no alternator, no water pump, no serpentine belt. Coil on plug ignition, modern fuel injection, and many more items contribute to it being just a completely SIMPLE boat to own and operate. The 190's are cheap to own, cheap to purchase, and cheap to operate. Really an excellent craft IMO.

As to power. With a few simple and relatively inexpensive mods, I can pull a wakeboard/tube/skier with 6 adults and 2 coolers on board. It still "hits" hard enough to yank the rope out of anyones hands, and once they're up it maintains speed without struggle. Fully loaded my mph range is in the high 30's. 37-39 pretty consistent. With just he wife, 2 little boys (16mo, 8yr), and I, we run about 41-42mph at WOT. Usually cruise around 30mph/6,500rpm or so. The only time I want more power/speed is when I'm drag racing a friend (which really isn't that often), or when I'm running from bad weather (which is like 2-3 times a year).

I will make a few suggestions;
Find a boat with a tower. They make the experience significantly better IMO. Gets all the "stuff" up off the sides of the boat (bimini, speakers, flags, etc), gives you a place to hold onto when docking that you don't have to stoop over to hold, and helps with getting new riders up on boards. I'll never have another boat without a tower. They are 120% worth the money, and are super handy to have.....If you really like this one, you can add one later, just a bit more of a project than some want to tackle.

Consider your storage area. Can you easily accommodate either boat? We went shopping for a 24ft and came home with the 19ft after realizing we could fit it in the garage. Having the boat "onsite" is something I don't think I'll ever be without again. Super handy to walk out in the garage, work on it a little, clean it a little, etc, and not have the time pressure of having to get something done and get back home. If I'm 1/2 way through a modification/project on it, and it's time for dinner. I walk inside and eat. Another SUPER handy aspect.

Keep some budget open for mods. Things like your depth finder, additional stereo remotes, speaker upgrades, battery chargers, new wakeboards, and such.....well they can get pricey. Buying a smaller boat meant, for us, that the budget was relaxed a bit in other areas. We burn less fuel, have less storage costs, and overall spend less just to operate the smaller boat. This allows some room in the wallet for mods/upgrades/trips/etc. I don't know your financial situation, however, for us, the smaller boat has made it easier to enjoy and use it, rather than pay for it and watch it sit because operating costs are higher. Parents had a camper and truck when I was a kid, and it was nice, but they never used it because they didn't have the money to operate it after purchasing it. I was NOT going to do that with my toys as an adult, and the smaller boat helps make that possible.

You mention an SUV to tow it. Most SUV's are rated in the 4k-5k range for trailers. Be aware that a fully loaded SX190 is going to be in the 3500lb range with gear and fuel. Toss a few people in the SUV, and you're sneaking up on that 4k range in a hurry. People tow these 19's with surprisingly small vehicles, but it's something to check before you plunk down the cash on a boat.

At any rate, welcome to the group. Good luck in your search, and be sure to keep us posted on which way to go.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It seems like the consensus is that I should go with the 190, but then most are saying they had one and then switched after a couple of years.

Realistically, if that's going to happen, shouldn't I still look at the whole buy your second boat first? Are the engines and maintenance that much different between the two boats?

And thank you! I'll certainly keep you all updated!
You'll be surprised how well the 190 will do. Better than what I thought. With that said and my location (afternoon thunder bangers when things can get windy and rough), I installed trim tabs. These helped a lot.

It's true, after 2-3 years a lot of people upgrade to a larger boat which means you'll have twin engines. This just mean a little more maintenance and little more money but you gain in size, hp and little bit more distance. It's pretty much your decision. The others are correct about a tower. My SX didn't have one but my new one does. It's great.

Don't get stuck on just these 2 boats. They're always a good and sometimes better deal out there. Just keep looking.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with the 210 comments. You can never have too much room. I would also be looking for a tower....unless you have no kids and you and your wife will never do water sports behind the boat...then stick with the SX. My first two boats didn't have towers and I kicked myself for a while for not getting a tower on my 2nd boat! (but I have a child and lots of family and friends with kids)

And if you add your location to your profile, you may even get offers from people around you to check out their boats! We are a friendly lot here!

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Theryan My wife and I bought a 19ft Runabout as our first boat. Before we were married. 6 adults for a long day in the sun in comfortable on this sized vehicle. I'm gonna guess you're past college age, but before married with kids age. For me that was 24-28. The 19ft size makes a lot of sense here IMO. NOW, the AR190 we have is about the same size as our last 19ft Rinker. HOWEVER, the layout hits far above it's overall length would suggest. 6 adults is still the appropriate number of people, but it's significantly more comfortable on this boat than the last.

IMO, the 190/192/195 series of Yamaha boats is THE value leader in this size. You can get more boat for less money, and they are amazingly easy to take care of. Compared to my old Rinker, this boat is so much easier to deal with. No transmission, no bellow, no alternator, no water pump, no serpentine belt. Coil on plug ignition, modern fuel injection, and many more items contribute to it being just a completely SIMPLE boat to own and operate. The 190's are cheap to own, cheap to purchase, and cheap to operate. Really an excellent craft IMO.

As to power. With a few simple and relatively inexpensive mods, I can pull a wakeboard/tube/skier with 6 adults and 2 coolers on board. It still "hits" hard enough to yank the rope out of anyones hands, and once they're up it maintains speed without struggle. Fully loaded my mph range is in the high 30's. 37-39 pretty consistent. With just he wife, 2 little boys (16mo, 8yr), and I, we run about 41-42mph at WOT. Usually cruise around 30mph/6,500rpm or so. The only time I want more power/speed is when I'm drag racing a friend (which really isn't that often), or when I'm running from bad weather (which is like 2-3 times a year).

I will make a few suggestions;
Find a boat with a tower. They make the experience significantly better IMO. Gets all the "stuff" up off the sides of the boat (bimini, speakers, flags, etc), gives you a place to hold onto when docking that you don't have to stoop over to hold, and helps with getting new riders up on boards. I'll never have another boat without a tower. They are 120% worth the money, and are super handy to have.....If you really like this one, you can add one later, just a bit more of a project than some want to tackle.

Consider your storage area. Can you easily accommodate either boat? We went shopping for a 24ft and came home with the 19ft after realizing we could fit it in the garage. Having the boat "onsite" is something I don't think I'll ever be without again. Super handy to walk out in the garage, work on it a little, clean it a little, etc, and not have the time pressure of having to get something done and get back home. If I'm 1/2 way through a modification/project on it, and it's time for dinner. I walk inside and eat. Another SUPER handy aspect.

Keep some budget open for mods. Things like your depth finder, additional stereo remotes, speaker upgrades, battery chargers, new wakeboards, and such.....well they can get pricey. Buying a smaller boat meant, for us, that the budget was relaxed a bit in other areas. We burn less fuel, have less storage costs, and overall spend less just to operate the smaller boat. This allows some room in the wallet for mods/upgrades/trips/etc. I don't know your financial situation, however, for us, the smaller boat has made it easier to enjoy and use it, rather than pay for it and watch it sit because operating costs are higher. Parents had a camper and truck when I was a kid, and it was nice, but they never used it because they didn't have the money to operate it after purchasing it. I was NOT going to do that with my toys as an adult, and the smaller boat helps make that possible.

You mention an SUV to tow it. Most SUV's are rated in the 4k-5k range for trailers. Be aware that a fully loaded SX190 is going to be in the 3500lb range with gear and fuel. Toss a few people in the SUV, and you're sneaking up on that 4k range in a hurry. People tow these 19's with surprisingly small vehicles, but it's something to check before you plunk down the cash on a boat.

At any rate, welcome to the group. Good luck in your search, and be sure to keep us posted on which way to go.
This is a ton of great information. I have a storage option for the boat, but a 19' would fit in my garage (granted, my vehicle won't at the same time, but whatever). That's the one big thing I'm thinking is pushing me towards the smaller boat, honestly.

Regarding my vehicle, the tow rating is right in the middle there at 4500 pounds. I wouldn't ever plan on towing the boat with a full tank of gas (seems unsafe to me to do so), so at least there's that.

I don't do any water sports currently, but may at some point do a little tubing and wakeboarding. It doesn't have a tower, obviously, but could always look at adding one if needed, I suppose.

I think my biggest question between the two is the handling. How much difference will I see between the larger boat and the smaller, and the single newer engine vs. the older dual engines?

The bigger boat weights several hundred pounds more, and on trailer will be around 600 lbs. shy of my tow capacity. The 190 will be almost 1000 under, which is really nice. The nice thing about the 210 is that it has all of the stuff already done to it that I would plan on doing (upgraded sound system, second battery, depth sounder [I think]), not to mention more storage and space...but I'm not positive that it would be a HUGE difference, and the times that I would have 8 people on board at once are pretty few and far between.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go with the 190, there is just so much boat for the size/money and only having one engine to maintain is huge for keeping maintenance cost down. I get the whole "buy your second boat first" thing but the reality is you will probably want to upgrade in say 5 years anyway due to the age of the 210 and the possible change in boating needs. The last river trip I did, we had 8 adults and all of their stuff, food, coolers, BBQ, etc on the 190 and it was a little cramped but completely doable with the most impressive thing having everyones stuff in storage keeping the deck clear.

Also, as far as the tower goes, don't worry about getting a boat with one. As @swatski has demonstrated here, you can add a really good tower to the SX190 for cheap.

Welcome to JB.net, this place is awesome for advice and endless ways to spend money modifying your boat. Just to give a taste of what the ultimate 2012 SX190 looks like, look here. Hope this helps

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the 210 comments. You can never have too much room. I would also be looking for a tower....unless you have no kids and you and your wife will never do water sports behind the boat...then stick with the SX. My first two boats didn't have towers and I kicked myself for a while for not getting a tower on my 2nd boat! (but I have a child and lots of family and friends with kids)

And if you add your location to your profile, you may even get offers from people around you to check out their boats! We are a friendly lot here!
Thanks for the tips! No wife and no kids yet. Just a single, early 30s guy currently. Haha. The tower, if collapsible, would be nice, but it isn't anything that I'm OVERLY concerned with. I'm more concerned with the rest of the boat and how it does, I think.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, I'm overwhelmed with how helpful all of you are so far. This place is wonderful!

It sounds like the better option is to go for the 190 and save a bit of money, and then I can put that money towards things to upgrade it. I guess now that i realistically think about it, the times that I would run the boat at WOT are not very common, as it would be used to cruise and goof around, and then anchor on a sand bar and enjoy the day.

The 190 should accomplish that fine it seems.

Following up then, I would definitely want to put a depth sounder on it since it doesn't have one...how easy is that process? Haha.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, I'm overwhelmed with how helpful all of you are so far. This place is wonderful!

It sounds like the better option is to go for the 190 and save a bit of money, and then I can put that money towards things to upgrade it. I guess now that i realistically think about it, the times that I would run the boat at WOT are not very common, as it would be used to cruise and goof around, and then anchor on a sand bar and enjoy the day.

The 190 should accomplish that fine it seems.

Following up then, I would definitely want to put a depth sounder on it since it doesn't have one...how easy is that process? Haha.
Adding a simple depth finder is super easy on the 190,

Top Bottom