• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bar be que mod

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys

Thought I would post pics of a BBQ mod I am doing based on a Coleman Grill I bought at Walmart (recommended by a (other site) forum member).

It is a bit rough but fully functional. What drove the design was low price point, ease of construction, temporary placement near the bow (little activity there while anchored on my boat) and no holes in the boat!

I think this design meets all the requirements!

These pics are just the prototype, I would have liked to use aluminum angle stock but it would be too expensive if I made an oops. I will send the dimensions if anyone needs them.

I will attach a photo of the grill attached to the mod tonight. Ugly but very functional

IMG_2399[1].JPG IMG_2400[1].JPG
I plan to use rubber corks as bumpers for the gel coat. The turnbuckles are used to hook on to the anchor and when tightened down provides plenty support.

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, is that a temporary base for your table pole?

Why not just install that base in the bow? I did. I have 3 table places in my boat and it works out great when the kids want to eat up in the bow and the adults are hanging on the swim platform.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wooden Grill = 1 time use! :winkingthumbsup"

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how this is going to attach to the grill or the boat....
Patience Padawan the picture you will see tonight will reveal all and you will be amazed or discusted.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A grill you will see my young Yamaha Rider.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have me interested, the bow would be ideal since most stay away from it while anchored....

for those of you who have installed a table mount up there, degree of difficulty, anything I would need to watch for/be careful about when drilling the hole?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have me interested, the bow would be ideal since most stay away from it while anchored....

for those of you who have installed a table mount up there, degree of difficulty, anything I would need to watch for/be careful about when drilling the hole?
If your boat is similar to the 04 with respect to the huge ski locker that runs forward, it's extremely easy to install a table mount. I recommend using bolts and a backing plate vs. wood screws.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are pics of what I did to my previous SX230 and my current 242 ls. The floor mounted systems are much cheaper. the lease

BBQ facing aft.JPG
P7260541[1].JPG

Attachments

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie ... that is a sweet set up!! We usually just pack sandwiches and chips when we head out for the day. Sure would be nice to have a hot dog or hamburger instead!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ronnie ... that is a sweet set up!! We usually just pack sandwiches and chips when we head out for the day. Sure would be nice to have a hot dog or hamburger instead!!
Thanks Jim, I used to think the same thing initially but soon after the first burger or hot dog we started grilling steak, chicken, shrimp, vegis, etc. (than we added the option to boil water on a stove section of the grill) and now the only people eating hot dogs when we boat are the kids onboard.

Although I try and bring extra dogs and buns when we go out, not for my crew but to give away, it's a great way to start a conversation and I don't feel, as guilty, about eating in front of them (I.e., other nearby boaters/kids). Last year about this time we were cooking when a hot lady in a bikini in another boat asked if she could have some food (they were anchored nearby for sometime earlier) as they slowly passed by. My friend wanted to say yes and started reaching for a paper plat, I was smart enough not to say anything, my wife responded with a resounding "No!" Captain Ron deferred to his first (and only) mate that day.

I can't remember the last time we brought sandwiches boating, if we are not cooking our own main course(s) we are probably eating at a restaurant on the water instead.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ronnie ... I have a feeling my first mate would've said the same thing!! Have a great weekend!!

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same grill I bought Ronnie, I've just been sitting it on top the table and cooking that way, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be adding a table mount to the bow in the near future now!!!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Added to FAQ.

@Ronnie Does it fit easily under the front seats?
Did you get the Coleman cover for it? And if so do you use it?
Did you buy a new taller post to hold it? What part #, and ditto on the base for the grill....and the gunnel bases.....more info...(or is that in another thread I've forgotten?)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes the grill fits easily in all compartments, except the anchor locker, on both boats. You have to buy the cover separately but walmart usually carries them for $25 to $30 (online they are a little cheaper but it pretty much balances out after shipping is added), its nice since it is zippered, has two propane holders and resists leaks from the interior and exterior. Plus it just makes things easier to carry / move.

For the 230 I just went online and got most of it off of ebay. I didn't get a taller post just a different one, you need to find mounts that work with it both for the floor and the bottom of the grill, best to get a tapered pole so up you have flexibility on the mount sizes and it increase the chances it will work with the stock poles. If you don't want another pole just get the same mounts yamaha uses. Anyone going this route should verify that the location of the floor mount is within the footprint of the ski locker (I.e., try not to drill into the top of the front wall of the locker).

For the 242 I used magmas level locks on the grill and table. They fold up flush against both when not in use. The level locks are designed to fit into a standard 2" rod holders, I had to get angled ones because of the shape of the bow.

I've written both of these up on yjb, just to lazy to try and transfer them here. Let me know if you have other questions or want to see other pics.

I'm still interest to see how gthh's system will be mounted. There is always a another sometimes better way to do things like this. Both of my set ups required drilling, doesn't look like gthh's will.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pics as promised. I still got a little tweaking to do but it is very stable and came out well for being a prototype. I will be adding a couple of more turnbuckles (4 total) and protecting the ends of the steel L channel with some rubber caps.

I might look at cutting a phenolic sheet shaped for the area later but for now this quick and dirty solution looks like it may work. I padded the fiber glass where the turnbuckles hook under the sides of the anchor locker and contact the fiberglass with some rubber channel flashing.

I will be "queuing" this weekend if I get out in the water so I will let you know how I make out

.IMG_2408.jpgIMG_2410.jpg IMG_2415.jpg

Last edited:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pics as promised. I still got a little tweaking but it is very stable and came out well for being a prototype. I will be adding a couple of more turnbuckles (4 total) and protecting the ends with some rubber caps.

I might look at cutting a phenolic sheet shaped for the area. I padded the fiber glass where the turnbuckles contact the fiberglass with some rubber channel flashing.

I will be "queuing" this weekend if I get out in the water so I will let you know how it works

.View attachment 6144View attachment 6145 View attachment 6146
Nice work, low cost(?) And no drilling into the boat plus you still have the option to grill in the cockpit or on the stern.

Last edited: