• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2014-June 22

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Basically, the plan is good loud radios at the front and back. Then, every boat has someone assigned to watch the boat behind them. If they see the boat behind them slow or stop, that boat slows and stops immediately. That causes a chain reaction towards the lead boat who then also stops. Clear as mud?

Basically, monitor the group BEHIND you. Do not proceed if the guy behind you stops for any reason.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@upperdeck and I are getting ourselves rigged up to do some more Salt Water fishing...
Is anyone else going to do any fishing on our trip ??

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tim h, @upperdeck, I am curious what kind of tackle you are bringing?

I would love to catch enough fish for a meal. Even better if the kids could catch some. But I doubt that I can allocate more than few hours to fishing.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck and I are getting ourselves rigged up to do some more Salt Water fishing...
I'm not set up at all for fishing, specially trolling. Drift fishing sounds like more my approach. I have my eye on a shark stick I hope to snag prior to launch...and I have a larger salt water reel someplace in my basement......The interest is growing !

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@tim h, @upperdeck, I am curious what kind of tackle you are bringing?

I would love to catch enough fish for a meal. Even better if the kids could catch some. But I doubt that I can allocate more than few hours to fishing.

Salt water rod/reels and lures for trolling and also going to purchase some pre-rigged Bally-Hoo.
I have some experience trolling for salmon and trout here on Lake Michigan, but the lures we use here are different...
My Boat really isn't rigged very well with rod holders and such yet...
Last year we often went fishing for 2-3 hours in some mornings and evenings so it didn't interfere with the days festivities...
=)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@tim h @upperdeck I will also be doing some fishing and like @Bruce could use some help with the tackle selection. There more details the better, I have not fished in many moons.

This was the from our inaugural Bimini trip in 2011, just leaving Fort Lauderdale. We got spoiled on the way over, hope we see these conditions again.
Bimini 2011 036.jpg

This was half way, the middle of the gulf stream and still nice and calm.
Bimini 2011 043.jpg

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Depends if you plan to troll or bottom fish. If bottom fishing for snapper, grouper, etc, you really just need a medium duty rod and reel and some weights and hooks. Rig with any cut bait and you'll be pulling them in. A good spot is to line up the Sapona in the background with the single tree on the rock outcropping to the east of the Sapone, go east to 100/150 ft of water and drop your lines. Another bottom fishing hotspot is Isaacs Lighthouse, but that's 20 miles north of Bimini. Basically bottom fish over anything that's not a sandy bottom.

You can get frozen bait (squid or ballyhoo) from the gas dock in Ft. Lauderdale and they have had it every year at the Big Game Club.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I plan on trying both bottom fishing and trolling. @upperdeck & @tim h Thanks for the info, I might be asking more questions once I dig into things a little more.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For trolling, about 5 to 7 mph, lures we used last year were simple skirts and a cedar plug. The cedar plug got hit the most by far (scarred with teeth marks all over it). This year I'm trying rigged ballyhoo with skirts. Everything is on the surface that we have done, nothing at any depth. Get gloves and a gaff hook too. We were between 300 and 600 ft last year, but I'm not sure that's optimal or not. If you see anything floating on the water (weeds, debris, etc) troll around it for dolphin (the fish sort, not the bottle nose sort)!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
BTW, no shark are allowed on your boat in the Bahamas, and our resorts marina bans them as well.

Chrissy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My Jim is bringing some inland lures & an assortment of L & S Lures (MirroLures) hoping @tim h will let us ride with him to fish, cause Jim ain't fishing off our boat!! Lol!! @tim h we promise to help with gas!!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My Jim is bringing some inland lures & an assortment of L & S Lures (MirroLures) hoping @tim h will let us ride with him to fish, cause Jim ain't fishing off our boat!! Lol!! @tim h we promise to help with gas!!
Chrissy, Tim will probably take you but if for some reason it does not work out you and Jim are welcome to fish with us from my boat. Since my boat is 7 year old, I don't have a problem fishing from it. Plus, I could always use someone with fishing experience to help out.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Absolutely !
I am sure I will be able to find room for a couple of extra people for fishing...
I have only 3 guys and 6 GIRLS making the trip on my boat and no doubt the girls won't want to fish as much as the guys...
I would graciously accept some help with gas =)

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is there a Bimini equivalent of catching blue gills (sunfish, perch) on worms with corks? Just really easy fishing where my 4 year old and 7 year old can catch a few fish to grill?

This is my idea of fishing

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
See my bottom fishing comment above.
Is there a Bimini equivalent of catching blue gills (sunfish, perch) on worms with corks? Just really easy fishing where my 4 year old and 7 year old can catch a few fish to grill?

This is my idea of fishing

View attachment 4657 View attachment 4658 View attachment 4659
See my bottom fishing comment above... Pick up some one ounce weights and some medium sized hooks and some three way swivels and you'd be all set.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is a video I just found to add to the excitement level for our Bimini trip. The portion of the video at the Sapona, 6 minute mark to the end, was recorded on July 20, 2013 which was the day last years group headed home.

Enjoy!!!

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Here is a video I just found to add to the excitement level for our Bimini trip. The portion of the video at the Sapona, 6 minute mark to the end, was recorded on July 20, 2013 which was the day last years group headed home.

Enjoy!!!
VERY NICE !
Great flying. pretty awesome video.