• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2014-June 22

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My take on firearms...

First, I'm a huge 2nd amendment, and ccw supporter. But remember that there is no second amendment or ccw in the Bahamas.

Next, presuming you follow the law and keep your firearm under lock and key on your boat, your gun is as useful there as an anchor. No one is going to assault you on your boat where the gun is accessible.

Last, despite the homicide earlier this year, violent crime on Bimini is nearly nonexistent.

My biggest concern regarding crime in Bimini is having my lowrance or fishing gear swiped off the boat. Which is why I remove all my valuables at night.

To be clear, I'm not discouraging anyone from bringing a firearm. My intent is to point out that my personal belief that is it not necessary or worth the hassle. Just do me a favor and clear customs with your firearm AFTER the rest of us have passed through! (That's a joke BTW)

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Do you know if any of them place restriction on times or highways you can travel?

I'm looking forward to our caravan from WI to FL!
I have all the websites saved, but haven't looked at each state to see what the restrictions are...

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, EVERY BOAT will need to fill out this form. On the bottom of the first page is the weapons declaration section.

The other form is required by every PERSON and is being delivered to the BahiaMar captain's meeting by @justason .

Attachments

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
1089 Miles for me from Baltimore, MD. Going to have a full car @ 5 people (I have third row seating). Going to be placing most of the luggage in the boat on the way down over the axles to keep the GVWR in play. Not going to be a fun ride for sure.
Seriously considering making the trip from NJ !! May have to follow you down !!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like a plan man! Leaving early Sat morning, then staying in Savannah 10 hours away.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good morning everyone!
Wanted to stir up this thread again so I thought I'd start a dialogue on what you plan to do for pre-launch maintenance.
The trip last year totaled about 15 hours on the engine, rain kept us dockside at least one full day.

I plan to buy a new Engine battery, change oil and plugs (pack extras), lube impeller shaft/trailer hubs, Lube throttle and steering cables, Silicone/lithium spray the crap out of everything,
try hard to get my new scupper installed.

Discovered this gem the other week: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TYX9W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My boat is at 85 hours young so nothing huge is pending. @upperdeck thank you for bringing the Diagnostic tool. I would like to validate the engine clock.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pre rinse with salt away too.
on the inside or outside?.. I've read some folks run saltaway thru the cooling system. I also see a vinegar based home grown recipe for saltaway....anyone try that?

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Salt away is supposed so have some preventative properties. So I rinse the motors before and after. I also spray down the metal parts of the boat afterwards. Things like the grab handles, hatch locks, etc.

Chris-MS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Add us to the list of boaters making the Bimini 2014 trip.
We are booked and will have the following on board;
Me (Chris), wife (Cindy), sister (Kerrin), son 9 and daughter 7.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello Chris ! welcome aboard !
Where you driving from for this?. we have a few convoys forming

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome!

On a side note, I just wanted to mention to those with fresh water boats that you should consider changing your anodes if they are not salt water compatible. I think the zinc and aluminum ones are OK for salt water. (correct me if I'm wrong)

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome!

On a side note, I just wanted to mention to those with fresh water boats that you should consider changing your anodes if they are not salt water compatible. I think the zinc and aluminum ones are OK for salt water. (correct me if I'm wrong)
I agree, but would note that they come stock with aluminum.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm keeping a tally of contact info. Please send me a pm if you choose. Don't forget to make a slip and room reservation at Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. We leave from there at 6 am sharp Monday!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Chris!

@justason, Chris will be driving from Corinth, MS. We will likely meet up near Corinth and take 75 South through the middle of Florida.

Chris-MS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We will be leaving from Corinth, MS. Our plan is to depart Corinth on the morning of June 20th and be in Ft. Lauderdale on June 21st. We, like most of you, are staying at the Bahia Mar. We have a wet slip reserved for June 22nd and have our reservations at the Bimini Sand for the 23rd through the 28th for us and the boat.

You are forewarned. I will have many questions for you guys. But thanks for letting us be a part of this.

Chris

Last edited:

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This looks good right?

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-season-outlook-atlantic-2014-el-nino-20140324

After one of the quietest hurricane seasons in decades, forecasters with The Weather Channel predict a below-average 2014 Atlantic hurricane season.

The early outlook released Monday calls for 11 named storms, including five hurricanes, two of which are predicted to attain major hurricane status (Category 3 or stronger on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks good to me!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Shouldn't be a problem in June anyway, but the June 2011 trip was canceled due to weather... Keep your fingers crossed!

Chris-MS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bruce an All,

When we spoke, we did not discuss travel days. I am wanting to head down as soon as possible. Not sure what is on your agenda. But I want to work with you. Please know that I do believe in the larger the convoy the better. Just let me know.

Are you guys going to be using the 15st boat ramp in Ft. Lauderdale or do you have a better ramp in mind. I understand it is under construction, but the ramp access is still available.

What are you guys doing about Ft. Lauderdale truck & trailer storage while we are in Bimini? I have prepared for storage at Bahia Mar at $21 per day. Any better options?

I have a propane Magma grill that I plan on leaving at home. For I am not wanting extra explosives on the boat. Thinking about a small portable Weber charcoal kettle style grill. Any thoughts. Also, what about chairs and umbrellas. You guys bringing that stuff as well?

On a different note can we discuss who is brining what and what we need to bring. I am thinking safety and boat mechanic tools and parts.

I will be bringing the following;

Survival gear to the max!!! (my Cub Scout son has gone all out)
Many tools
Spark plugs
Oil
Flares
Handheld marine radio
Ipad's and Iphones w/ Navionic maps installed
Adhesive tape of multiple types
JB Cold Weld
Rented EPRB (looking)
Many lines (rope)
First Aid kits
Hose clamps
Some inflatables
Air pump

What else do I/we need to be thinking of?

Thanks guys,

Chris