• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2014-June 22

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am actually going over on the 14th to Bimini, then the Berry Islands, then Nassau, and then down to Georgetown in Exuma. We spent a week in the Exumas about five years ago and it is unbelievable (did not have a boat at the time though). Stay there a week and then head back to Staniel Cay, then Nassau, then Chub Cay, then Bimini, then FL. This was a long answer to your short question, but I will be traveling with family all the way, but no other boats at this time.
Holy shit..

On another note... who on this trip will have a 25watt+ VHF radio and antenna? Also how many plan to rent an EPIRB and/or SAT phone.

I will be renting both and have a 2watt handheld VHF. Seriously considering a 25-30watt purchase but with all of the other expenses I'm not sure I can swing it before the trip.

PreciousMetals

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, it has taken quite a bit of planning and not done yet. I will be renting a beacon and getting a 25 Watt VHF radio as well. My boat is in the shop for the oil cooler issue and I am hoping for good news from Yamaha on this, but we shall see. I am doing a big write-up on the preparation and will be taking tons of video from the trip....

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure people don't want to leave thier boats at Bahia Mar since the Pirate bar does not have much dockage.

An alternative would be the new Bokampers just opened on the intracoastal a little north of Bahia Mar. Plenty of Docking.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Holy shit..

On another note... who on this trip will have a 25watt+ VHF radio and antenna? Also how many plan to rent an EPIRB and/or SAT phone.

I will be renting both and have a 2watt handheld VHF. Seriously considering a 25-30watt purchase but with all of the other expenses I'm not sure I can swing it before the trip.
I have a 25 watt radio and antenna. I also have a handheld PLB. Not much need for an epirb.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm pretty sure people don't want to leave thier boats at Bahia Mar since the Pirate bar does not have much dockage.

An alternative would be the new Bokampers just opened on the intracoastal a little north of Bahia Mar. Plenty of Docking.

I love this suggestion!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

PreciousMetals

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those are good links, and thanks for that. Maybe it is just mental but the knotting starts when we go from the Berry Islands to Nassau and cross the Tongue of the Ocean. 100 feet or 6,000 feet (the Tongue), it is all over my head. It is going to be cool pulling into Bimini and seeing all the jetboats there. And of course all of this assumes there is no weather to delay anything....

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In the Kevin and Corrie videos, they were very lucky to have very smooth water. They live in Florida and I assume they timed the trip to the weather instead of getting lucky with the weather on a planned trip.

@PreciousMetals, If the weather and waves cooperate then that kind of trip would be a great time. If the weather is rough then the trip could be very dangerous if not impossible. I was talking to one of the larger Yamaha dealers in Florida yesterday and he mentioned spending a week in the US when he had planned to go to Bimini because the water was too rough for his 47 footer. You are planning an adventurous and strenuous trip that few of us will ever make. I hope for the best weather and a wonderful time for your family. I do not know how you have prepared and what prior experience you have had but please do not underestimate the risks.

PreciousMetals

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really appreciate the feedback you all have provided, and the weather is surely the key. I have mentally prepared my self for the fact that there will surely be delays, and to get my mid right about that. I am working to get the radio, the ditch bag, the Type 1 Vests, the flares, the maps, the maintenance for the boat, etc. However, the weather is what it is all about and not letting my desire to be there override safety.

I think we are all in that category as well. We all have to make that Gulf Stream crossing. There is a lot of planning (and money) that goes into these trips and we all hope they are the trip of a lifetime. I am looking forward to hearing how all this comes together over the next two months with preparation....

Can I get a reminder of how many of your are going at the moment...something like a dozen, right?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We should have at least a dozen boats. It may be 14 or 15 now and I talked to a Florida dealer who has a customer that wants to make the trip yesterday.

I also communicated with Tw00155 who has bought a lot of extra fuel storage and is planning to go early and return early. He may follow the ferry one direction or both.

Tyler

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys, TW00155 here. Sorry I've been MIA, I joined the new board a few days ago but didn't realize the Bimini Thread had migrated. We're booked in room 21R at the Sands and as of now, I have a crew of 5 and we'll be heading down on Friday June 20th, crossing the morning of the 21st and returning on Thursday the 26th. I'm currently looking into whether it's any shorter of a trip to leave from Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale. From what I've found online, Ft. Lauderdale is approximately 48 NM to Bimini and Miami is around 42 NM, which if I've done my math right is about 7 miles difference. This could be substantial if I end up getting the dismal fuel consumption I've been told to expect. Anyone with actual experience please jump in and make any corrections, as that would be greatly appreciated. I've also looked into following the ferry over (providing we could keep up), however I can't seem to find a schedule other than a "Spring Schedule - Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays." If they only run on weekends, then we could still follow the ferry for the trip over, but do without it the trip back. Bruce was kind enough to give his phone number, so we'll call when we depart and arrive. Also still debating between Sea Tow and BoatUS. I know it's a preference thing with good and bad experiences with both, but is one preferable to the other specifically for this Bimini trip as this will be the only time I would need a service like this? June is coming fast and we couldn't be more excited!

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey guys, TW00155 here. Sorry I've been MIA, I joined the new board a few days ago but didn't realize the Bimini Thread had migrated. We're booked in room 21R at the Sands and as of now, I have a crew of 5 and we'll be heading down on Friday June 20th, crossing the morning of the 21st and returning on Thursday the 26th. I'm currently looking into whether it's any shorter of a trip to leave from Miami instead of Ft. Lauderdale. From what I've found online, Ft. Lauderdale is approximately 48 NM to Bimini and Miami is around 42 NM, which if I've done my math right is about 7 miles difference. This could be substantial if I end up getting the dismal fuel consumption I've been told to expect. Anyone with actual experience please jump in and make any corrections, as that would be greatly appreciated. I've also looked into following the ferry over (providing we could keep up), however I can't seem to find a schedule other than a "Spring Schedule - Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays." If they only run on weekends, then we could still follow the ferry for the trip over, but do without it the trip back. Bruce was kind enough to give his phone number, so we'll call when we depart and arrive. Also still debating between Sea Tow and BoatUS. I know it's a preference thing with good and bad experiences with both, but is one preferable to the other specifically for this Bimini trip as this will be the only time I would need a service like this? June is coming fast and we couldn't be more excited!
I studied my options between the two and my choice is BoatUS.

Also, Miami is slightly closer. I chose Ft. Lauderdale because when I crossed in 2011 with the Bimini Boat Fling, thats where they originated from and am therefor familiar with that area.

Chrissy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also, EVERY BOAT will need to fill out this form. On the bottom of the first page is the weapons declaration section.

The other form is required by every PERSON and is being delivered to the BahiaMar captain's meeting by @justason .
Not sure if this helps. When we called Bimini Sands, the women there said to make sure we printed out the customs form on legal paper. :)

Chrissy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah! We have our room!! We are definatly going on the trip!! We are so excited!!!
Crew: Jim & Chrissy……Oh & Cody (our dog! lol)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@upperdeck add Cindy and I to the trip. I am not yet sure who is going to join us but we are going even if it is by ourselves.

@justason @Chrissy @RobA and others, we will meet you in Savannah, I have to work on Saturday so we won't get there until late but at least we can join the caravan on Sunday morning.

Now I have to make some reservations at the Bahia Mar and Bimini Sands.

Chrissy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@upperdeck add Cindy and I to the trip. I am not yet sure who is going to join us but we are going even if it is by ourselves.

@justason @Chrissy @RobA and others, we will meet you in Savannah, I have to work on Saturday so we won't get there until late but at least we can join the caravan on Sunday morning.

Now I have to make some reservations at the Bahia Mar and Bimini Sands.
@andy looks like we are going down a few days earlier (we have family down there). Thank you so much for including us! Looking forwarding to meeting everyone in person!!