• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2018

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bronze_10, I have never checked fuel consumption outside of Bimini crossings.

What is your top speed? That could be a good measure of efficiency.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Going to Bimini our boats are heavily loaded. That weight increases fuel consumption but water conditions make an even bigger difference.

2017 was both my longest and highest fuel consumption crossing. From the mouth of Port Everglades to Bimini Sands was 4:20. I burned 38 gallons during that time leaving 14 in the tank. That is 1.6 mpg. On a good crossing to Bimini I would burn closer to 30 for 2 MPG. On the return crossing I typically burn around 25 gallons for 2.4 MPG.

First generation 240s burn more fuel than my 230 and the latest 240s burn even more. Several first generation 240s arrived in Bimini with a few gallons left in the tank while some new 240s needed a few extra gallons to get there.
My 242X burned 42 gallons on the trip there this year (1.42 mpg). We went a day earlier than the main group as the forecast was better. The X probably has the worst mileage of all the models due to the "bat wing" and the weight of all the extras (stereo and ballast). We also did not plane for much of the first half of the trip (roughest part) as I didn't want to damage my new boat!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 242X burned 42 gallons on the trip there this year (1.42 mpg). We went a day earlier than the main group as the forecast was better. The X probably has the worst mileage of all the models due to the "bat wing" and the weight of all the extras (stereo and ballast). We also did not plane for much of the first half of the trip (roughest part) as I didn't want to damage my new boat!
lol whimp!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear there are some cool people with boats up there lol.
speaking of that we need to get back on the water soon. Its almost to cold to go out and by cold i mean mid 70s

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My experience has been that riding in someones wake made the conditions worse. @Betik tried to ride my wake in 2017 I found it uncomfortable. Perhaps different conditions result in different outcomes.
true story

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know. I was out on the lake a few weeks ago when suddenly the wind picked up quite a bit and it made for some rough conditions - for it being a lake. Probably 1.5' chop and some whitecaps.
It didnt bother us, but as we headed back towards the ramp, we passed a small aluminum johnboat, two adults and a (I guess) 3yo and a 1yo. No lifevests on the adults. I was surprised they were still afloat. As soon as i passed them they fell in behind me. I slowed down to match their speed, which got them out of the headwind and flattened the water for them. The woman in the front gave me a big smile and looked relieved. They stayed behind me and they made it safely to the ramp. Some people.....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Berrie I did a lot of "practice" on my local lake with winds up to 20 mph ( at least 2 footers and speeds exceeding 40 mph). On top of that, I added sharp turns as if I was a drag dealer trying to outmaneuver the CG. It is with great humility that I have to report that none of that was even close to what I faced crossing the gulfstream. If you have access to salt water please do spend some time there.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Betik I don't have much saltwater experience but I do have a crossing behind me already (2 if you count each way), and the weather was far from good. Last 10 miles was solid 3' @ 3 seconds, strong winds with whitecaps everywhere. I never felt we were in danger or near the limits of the boat, and we stayed completely dry, but it wasn't pleasant.
One thing i learned: store your stuff at the lowest point of the cabin as everything will end up there anyway....:winkingthumbsup"

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so you are fine then. I thought you were thinking to use the lake as proxy for the going to Bimini.

My salted water experience involves being 100% socked in first 15 minutes and then drying off in the next 4 hours :eek:

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Betik I guess that's the advantage of a cabin cruiser. A high bow, eisinglass, and we stayed dry - even in the rain.
The disadvantage is needing 3' of water, and towing restrictions.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BTW this is us in the middle of the Gulf Stream, going about 35mph.

Attachments

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce That was early in the day. About 1.5' - 2' at 6 seconds. It's a little rougher than it looks. Note that the whole 12klbs is almost out of the water.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@ Bruce That was early in the day. About 1.5' - 2' at 6 seconds. It's a little rougher than it looks. Note that the whole 12klbs is almost out of the water.
The forecast says this was 1.8s

Here are other years for comparison

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce That was early in the day. About 1.5' - 2' at 6 seconds. It's a little rougher than it looks. Note that the whole 12klbs is almost out of the water.
Lol that was the first thing I noticed. It looks like a smooth day but when I saw how far the bow was out of the water I started to think he was either hauling tail of it was a little bigger then it looks. Having had a similar size boat years ago I know it's a heavy son of a gun.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I saw a boat doing that this past trip. Getting almost completely airborne... I thought he wanted to take the lead as he was passing me.
Not too long after he discovered a substantial crack in his hull. :(

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I saw a boat doing that this past trip. Getting almost completely airborne... I thought he wanted to take the lead as he was passing me.
Not too long after he discovered a substantial crack in his hull. :(
@tim h As long as the waves are relatively low it won't slam you into the next wave. Once the waves get higher and after every wave you slam into the next, you'll eventually break something.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Betik, Much respect for your analytic ability!

My refill was 38 gallons.