• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Trip June 27th - July 2nd 2021

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys....I'm in. Will have 3-4 (2 adults 2 kids 12/13) in the 2014 242LS and probably another 4-5 on the ferry. I thought I read previously about some people leaving a bit earlier (June 25/26) and coming back later (July 3/4). Are they part of this group or another? I understand it's mostly up to the weather, but all things being equal another day or two over there would be nice.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here is what State Farm sent me with regard to boundary...

View attachment 143373

Unfortunately State Farm wouldn't offer consequential damages, I'm not sure if this is specific to the local agent I talked with or if this applies to everyone with State Farm. That's one scupper valve failure away from a potential total loss that isn't covered. They also wouldn't offer freeze protection. I have had BOTH of these coverages on ALL my boats for the past 25 years, shocked they won't offer it, I wish they did, I'd pay more to switch to them.
Do you think they would salvage your boat from 500-3000ft deep in the ocean? The cost would be extraordinary I would imagine.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To those that are worried about insurance, bahamas territorial water is very little. From what I've heard Towboat US will pick you up when you are in international water ( 3 miles out). So if you just be careful boating in bahamas territorial water, pretty much while on dock/entering ports or in an island. Underway or fishing offshore your insurance will cover you. Im not expert so confirm with your insurance and dont take my word for it lol
1614791814160.png

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To those that are worried about insurance, bahamas territorial water is very little. From what I've heard Towboat US will pick you up when you are in international water ( 3 miles out). So if you just be careful boating in bahamas territorial water, pretty much while on dock/entering ports or in an island. Underway or fishing offshore your insurance will cover you. Im not expert so confirm with your insurance and dont take my word for it lol
View attachment 143408
My wife used to be in the insurance industry...there's lots to consider.

It's not so much the damage to the boat that I would be worried about, because as you mentioned you can get towed out and picked up by towboatUS or whomever you wish. The absolute worst thing that could happen on the physical damage side is I lose my boat.

What I would be worried about is accidentally hitting someone or some other action where I need my liability insurance to kick in. You can be as careful as you want, accidents happen. Killing someone and being sued for 500k+, or worse from a financial standpoint, NOT killing them but they need severe medical attention for the rest of their life could be 1 million+. That would be personally devastating to many, likely resulting in loss of life savings, assets, or bankruptcy, or all of the above. I would think very very carefully about travelling somewhere without liability coverage. Maybe check your home insurance to see if it would extend, or look into an umbrella liability policy that covers you anywhere.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you think they would salvage your boat from 500-3000ft deep in the ocean? The cost would be extraordinary I would imagine.
Not a chance, but with consequential damage coverage (which my local State Farm would NOT include), I would get a check for the "agreed value" of my policy.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not a chance, but with consequential damage coverage (which my State Farm would NOT include), I would get a check for the "agreed value" of my policy.
Right, if they can't salvage it, they can't prove the cause so they would likely have to pay out under total loss coverage. Either ACV or AV as you said, depending on what type of policy you bought.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Right, if they can't salvage it, they can't prove the cause so they would likely have to pay out under total loss coverage. Either ACV or AV as you said, depending on what type of policy you bought.
Ahhh, I see where you're going...I like the way you're thinking. I would guess however most Bahamian water would be salvageable and depending on the circumstances it's possible that our boats wouldn't completely sink. I guess the best answer (as it always is) is to buy a new boat > 26' with twin OB's.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ahhh, I see where you're going...I like the way you're thinking. I would guess however most Bahamian water would be salvageable and depending on the circumstances it's possible that our boats wouldn't completely sink. I guess the best answer (as it always is) is to buy a new boat > 26' with twin OB's.
;)

That sounds like a great plan to me....I'm eyeing a 275 for next year hopefully!

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys....I'm in. Will have 3-4 (2 adults 2 kids 12/13) in the 2014 242LS and probably another 4-5 on the ferry. I thought I read previously about some people leaving a bit earlier (June 25/26) and coming back later (July 3/4). Are they part of this group or another? I understand it's mostly up to the weather, but all things being equal another day or two over there would be nice.
I'm targeting a 6/27 crossing with back-up dates of 6/26 or 6/25, there are a couple others targeting 6/26. For the return there are a couple of us targeting a 7/4 return, with 7/3 or 7/5 as back-up dates. Once an Admin adds you to the private conversation you will see everyone's target crossing dates in the spreadsheet that was created. Our rental house is booked from Sun 6/27 thru Sun 7/4 (with 7/5 being a national holiday to tow the boat home), any additional days needed due to inclement weather we would simply move over to the Hilton if our rental house is unavailable.

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's the route I went. I got a 34ft with twin 496's.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any thoughts on taking a 195s on the Bimini crossing?

amccoy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I haven't been following this thread that closely, what's the current situation and assumptions with COVID and getting into the Bahamas? We haven't decided on a vacation this year and I'm starting to consider a Bimini trip. Was planning to wait until 22 but this dumb virus already cancelled my 20 Bimini trip and we can't decide on anything else.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I haven't been following this thread that closely, what's the current situation and assumptions with COVID and getting into the Bahamas? We haven't decided on a vacation this year and I'm starting to consider a Bimini trip. Was planning to wait until 22 but this dumb virus already cancelled my 20 Bimini trip and we can't decide on anything else.
Their current policy will almost certainly change by this trip.

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anybody from nj going?
Hey. I’m thinking about doing Bimini this year if it’s not too late. Can you call me at 973-390-6090 when you get a chance

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it too late to try to join this crossing? Please let me know so that I can get the ball rolling.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it too late to try to join this crossing? Please let me know so that I can get the ball rolling.
Never too late. I'd check on lodging availability in Bimini first

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never too late. I'd check on lodging availability in Bimini first
Any chance that you know where most people are staying. I want to quickly book the hotel without going through 25 pages of forums, sorry to be a bother. Dates would help too.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Resort World or Bimini Cove I think

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Any chance that you know where most people are staying. I want to quickly book the hotel without going through 25 pages of forums, sorry to be a bother. Dates would help too.
Majority staying at Bimini Cove...some staying at Resorts World.

Majority targeting 6/27 crossing...some targeting 6/26 crossing.

Majority targeting 7/2 return...some targeting 7/4 return.