• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can someone confirm or deny wake boarding behind 275

Michael Kay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry if already discussed, but I've seen a lot of discussion regarding a wake tower point on the boat. Can someone connected with Yamaha confirm or deny this? If they have taken the wakeboarder into consideration I'll be putting my old 242 up for sale immediately. If not, then this is just a (somewhat) cheap take on a Sea Ray Bowrider. I REALLY hope they didn't miss the market on this.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There isn’t a ski rope tow point on the stern, and the tower doesn’t appear to have anything either.

I’d say this isn’t marketed for water sports.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a tie off point on the rear grab handle. It's in one of the detailed pictures around here somewhere.

No ballast, and no high mount tow point though. Not going to be the best wake boat ever, but you can certainly do it. Used to ride a wakeboard behind my 4cyl Rinker 182. You can ride behind anything if it has enough power to get you out of the water, and a strong point to pull from. If you want a well shaped wake, GPS cruise and launch control, and a high mount tow point, the 275 isn't for you. If you just want to ride a board behind a boat, it'll do fine.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was never going to be marketed or intended for serious watersports, but I'm baffled at the missing tow point on the tower. I mean you put a tower there why not just add a tow point? Maybe the hardtop gets in the way too much?

In the same sense that you can fish off this boat you can wakeboard behind this boat.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Correct, there is now tower tow point on any of the 27 foot models - I have this confirmed from Yamaha.

There is a tow point build into the grab handle on the stern (photo below from Yamaha):
tow handle.jpg

Attachments

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought I saw a thread somewhere that showed tremendous jet spray from the 275 boats. So really even just casual tubing/skiing/boarding may not really be an option.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This video gives you an idea of the spray behind the boat. Full throttle at take off looks high, but its hard to tell given that it was wavy that day, and that can cause the boat angle to shift and spray more. The parts of the video where the boat is doing a constant speed are likely the best reference points....and it looks tube able/ ski able....

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The rep I asked at the show said, and I quote - "this is not a towboat"

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a tow point build into the grab handle on the stern (photo below from Yamaha):
This looks like nothing more than an afterthought.

The rope would be basically pulling from under the boat with that mounting point on the bottom of the swim platform.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a feeling that was at WOT
The screen shot I took was when they accelerated from leaving a no wake zone. It's what you can expect when trying to pull up a skier or boarder. The jet wash dies down some but it definitely looks to create more wash than your typical 24' 1.8 non-supercharged boat.

One thing is for sure @jcyamaharider will have his work cut out for him to tame the beast if he finds someone who bought a 275 and wants to clean up the wave for surfing. :D

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 88357
Not that I'm disagreeing, but that doesn't look like much of a tow point. It looks more like the little pin on the boarding ladder for the bungee to hold the ladder in. I don't think I'd wanna tow anything from that. Plus, I agree, it is pretty low to the water. Looks like the rope would be right at the water line.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not that I'm disagreeing, but that doesn't look like much of a tow point. It looks more like the little pin on the boarding ladder for the bungee to hold the ladder in. I don't think I'd wanna tow anything from that. Plus, I agree, it is pretty low to the water. Looks like the rope would be right at the water line.
Yamaha told me this was a tow point. So I have to assume it can handle towing - they are pretty anal about what they say one can and cannot do.

I agree....it is a very very low tow point - not saying you wouldnt want to buy a booster ball if towing from it! Silly they didn't put a tower tow point on....

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Its almost exactly what my 2017 212X has for a tow point using the chrome grab handle. Although it is higher up on the swim deck.
IMG_0452.JPG

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I feel like you would really have to want your boat to say “Yamaha” on the side to choose this over a lot of other boats on the market. In the video at about the 6:50 mark it is painfully apparent how noisy the boat is when trying to go 7 mph or so, too. Not to mention the angry swarm of bees sound during acceleration and cruise. Did they go backwards relative to noise control?