• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Can't Resolve an Issue - What Should I do Next?

This is interesting. I was aware of the "leave main switch in ON position" language. I assumed they meant the bilge switch because SURELY it would not make sense to leave the boat with the Keyes in it and in the on position?????? I never saw the description go what they define as "Main Switch". This is just nuts!

Freaking crazy... So that means I have to leave all the electronics on? Connext screen? Anyone can jump in and take my boat? Battery drains very quick? These are somewhat rhetorical questions.

This is obviously the right answer so one part of me is relieved. But wtf is Yamaha thinking?

OK - on to direct writing the bilge!!!!

Thank you.
In a slip with the keys in it… probably fine but for me it would add another nightmare scenario. Someone joyriding in my boat!

Bought the boat second-hand, non-Yamaha dealer, bilge pump switch isn't the type that multiple people have (and what Yamaha typically supplies) . .. I'm not Columbo here, but it sure sounds to me like somewhere along the way, your boat got an "improvement" from someone for some unknown reason.

I wonder if replacing the bilge pump items with OEM parts would result in as-preferable operation of the system?

Use the existing parts for the 2nd bilge pump mod

Whats crazy is mine is not the run-every-few-minutes type. It is a float design and I know that from testing it with the shore water hose.
After reading the Rule website, its not a float switch, but some sort of water sensing mechanism. If the sensor is fouled, the pump has a backup where it reverts to a 2.5 minutes water check so as not to run the pump dry, and not to run the battery dead.

Brought to us by the “don’t trust the manual department”... the version of the 2018 240/242 manual on the Yamaha pubs site does not have the “leave the main switch on” language, page 144. It supports the OP’s operating model. :banghead:
direct link, hope it works: https://library.ymcapps.net/library/om/contents/pdf/52/F3F-F8199-14_02.pdf
That really is infuriating. The screencaps I posted earlier also came from the online manual found here: YAMAHA LIT-18626-11-79. Both online manuals appear to be the same first edition from July 2017 and have the same literature part number (both found on the third unnumbered page), yet somehow the actual wording on pages 143-144 about how the bilge works is different.

Bought the boat second-hand, non-Yamaha dealer, bilge pump switch isn't the type that multiple people have (and what Yamaha typically supplies) . .. I'm not Columbo here, but it sure sounds to me like somewhere along the way, your boat got an "improvement" from someone for some unknown reason.

I wonder if replacing the bilge pump items with OEM parts would result in as-preferable operation of the system?

not sure where you got that from. It is exactly oem setup and nobody here has anything different for the same boat - am I missing something?

the boat is actually pristine and the dealership was great - a large reputable boat dealership. My point was I couldn’t go back to them since they are not a yam dealer.

second hand yes. My wife and kids wanted the boat this summer - covid summer - as we all know choices were slim.

After reading the Rule website, its not a float switch, but some sort of water sensing mechanism. If the sensor is fouled, the pump has a backup where it reverts to a 2.5 minutes water check so as not to run the pump dry, and not to run the battery dead.

thanks good info.

Brought to us by the “don’t trust the manual department”... the version of the 2018 240/242 manual on the Yamaha pubs site does not have the “leave the main switch on” language, page 144. It supports the OP’s operating model. :banghead:
direct link, hope it works: https://library.ymcapps.net/library/om/contents/pdf/52/F3F-F8199-14_02.pdf

I don’t have it in front of me but my manual definitely has the “leave the main switch on” language. I just did not connect that as being the key until the helpful post above. I figured that would be stupid they must be talking about the bilge switch.

Brilliant Watson!

not sure where you got that from. It is exactly oem setup and nobody here has anything different for the same boat - am I missing something?

the boat is actually pristine and the dealership was great - a large reputable boat dealership. My point was I couldn’t go back to them since they are not a yam dealer.

second hand yes. My wife and kids wanted the boat this summer - covid summer - as we all know choices were slim.
You have a great boat! Just get the second bilge put in that’s hardwired with a float switch. I would think of it like the second bilge is the primary and the factory one as a backup.

And add an alarm/buzzer in line with the float, so if you are under way you are alerted to the problem.

not sure where you got that from.

Whats crazy is mine is not the run-every-few-minutes type. It is a float design and I know that from testing it with the shore water hose.

Forgive the misinterpretation, but it seems to me that the OEM setup, in reading around here, is the run-every-few-minutes type, and it appears that @Julian has found better and more precise information on it than my guesstimate. There have also been cases related by members here of boats having to replace their bilge pump with less time than you have on your boat. Since you stated the non-Yamaha out of state dealer, and you have no way of verifying anything done to the boat prior to your ownership, and you have issues contrary to what other members have experienced, it does not seem to be an unreasonable conclusion to reach that something could possibly be non-oem.

?‍♂️

Looking forward to a successful outcome for you, hopefully a solution is found for you and for anyone following in your footsteps.

I would just buy a secondary bilge pump. It’s good to have regardless of how stupid and overly complicated Yamaha designs these newer boats. It would be the simplest thing to do as well since you can do it in your slip and not have to pull the boat out and take it to a dealer somewhere. Wire the secondary bilge pump directly to the battery. IMO this isn’t one of those problems you sweat over and try to work with the dealer over. It’s a shit design by Yamaha (seriously what moron thinks it’s ideal to leave your keys in the ignition). You just need to add a secondary bilge and be done with it IMO.

I’d let it sink and buy the jetoon.

Back