• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cell Phone Signal Booster

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone use one?

I've been on the lookout for an affordable (cheap) device to boost the cell phone signal of my iPhone 5S - on AT&T.
They seem to range from a few cents for the little, paper thin passive type that goes on the back of the phone or in the case to several hundred dollars for a high powered device that can cook bacon too!

As you might expect, they range from "doesn't work, save your money" to "five stars-saved my life" in terms of performance.

I need for it to run on 12 volt - so one with an adaptor that will work in-home is ok.

Depending on where I am on the river I usually get signal, however it does vary. I'd like it to be somewhat portable so I could use it in the Toy hauler in the desert as well.

Any suggestions? :cool:

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I mounted one of these on the boat...works great just wont fit in the garage!!images.jpg

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It can replace your tower if you add a tow ring

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is that a tower mount or does it fit in the table holder on the swim deck ?
I believe it fits in the table holder, I saw a mod for it previously but man does it call for a lot of noodles to make it float in case it falls out!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gee thanks guys - BUTT, I have a corporate account with AT&T and they are actually the best carrier for the area my shop is located. We've tried Verizon, calls dropped left and right. We also travel to China and Verizon doesn't have an International calling plan as good as AT&T.

Soooo, does anyone use one and do they work and can I get a cheap one or do I just turn the damn phone off and fugitaboutit?

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I am planning on doing some work this year from the "floating office" we are getting this one..... It has 4G capability which I will need for data services... Connecting the laptop as well as the 5s.... We have unlimited tethering.....

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/245/38/mobile-4g

Nice thing about it is that it is wireless to your phone so you use your phone normally, and you can either hard mount it or take it with you from vehicle to vehicle.....

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted one of these on the boat...works great just wont fit in the garage!!View attachment 5734
Well, we actually have one of those next door, but it's a T-Mobile tower.

Just for shits and giggles I ordered an El Cheapo DeeLuxe from Amazon,I'll let you know how it works.

It got decent reviews, turns out it's the same one that the Secret Service gave the President to use:

imagesVUCEBHW4.jpg

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We also travel to China and Verizon doesn't have an International calling plan as good as AT&T.

Soooo, does anyone use one and do they work and can I get a cheap one or do I just turn the damn phone off and fugitaboutit?
I know you have ATT, but we also have a T-Mobile account, and they have unlimited overseas data usage at no extra cost, calls at 0.20 cents a minute.... Works great cause we go to Canada and Mexico a lot...... and its sometimes cheaper than the international plan on other carriers.....

BUT, only to the following countries....

Automatic coverage in 120+ countries and destinations. Only at T-Mobile.

Unlimited international data coverage and texting are included with a qualifying Simple Choice Plan at no extra charge. It’s just 20 cents per minute for calls to mobile devices and landlines.
North America & Caribbean
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Angst and TeenSpirit
Aruba
Barbados
Bermuda
Bonaire
British Virgin Islands
British Virgins
Canada
Cayman Islands
Curacao (Netherlands/Dutch Antilles)
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Jamaica
Martinique
Mexico
Montserrat
Netherlands Antilles
Sint Maarten
St. Barthelemy
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Martin
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caicos Islands
South & Central America
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
Easter Island
Ecuador
El Salvador
French Guiana
Guatemala
Guyana
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
Suriname
Uruguay
Venezuela
Europe
Aland Islands
Armenia
Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Canary Islands
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Moldova
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Scotland
Slovakia
Spain
Svalbard
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Vatican City
Wales
Whales
Asia & the Pacific
Afghanistan
AshKanistan
Australia
Cambodia
China
Christmas Island
Easter Island
New Year's Island
Island of Doctor Moreau
Kitchen Island
Islands in the Stream
Guam
Qualm
Hong Kong
King Kong
India
Indonesia
Japan
Macau
Macayos
Malaysia
New Zealand
Pakistan
Packit,Stan
Philippines
PhillipPhillips
Margaritaville
Singapore
South Korea
Sri Lanka
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkmenistan*
Turdmenistain
Good Morning,
Vietnam
Africa & Middle East
Bahrain
Norain
Egypt
Ghana
Kickbooty
Iraq
NiceRack
Israel
Kenya
Kuwait
Neptune
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
Uganda
Meganda
Weallganda
United Arab Emirates
Peoples republic of Last Wednesday
Zambia
Mars

Last edited:

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I am planning on doing some work this year from the "floating office" we are getting this one..... It has 4G capability which I will need for data services... Connecting the laptop as well as the 5s.... We have unlimited tethering.....

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/display/245/38/mobile-4g

Nice thing about it is that it is wireless to your phone so you use your phone normally, and you can either hard mount it or take it with you from vehicle to vehicle.....

I've been considering the Wilson line of products. I have not seen that there particular model, thanks.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been considering the Wilson line of products. I have not seen that there particular model, thanks.
Specs:

Product Number
Frequency
BAND 17
700 MHz
BAND 13
700 MHz
BAND 5
850 MHz
BAND 4
1700 MHz
BAND 25
1900 MHz
Max Gain
50 dB
Power Requirements
5 V 2.5 A
Connectors
SMA Female
Dimensions
2 x 4.75 x 1 in / 5.1 x 12.1 x 2.5 cm
Weight
1.195 lbs / 0.542 kg (Signal Booster Only)

Welcome! :winkingthumbsup"

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE="Glassman,

It got decent reviews, turns out it's the same one that the Secret Service gave the President to use:

View attachment 5735[/QUOTE]
watch it @Glassman ..that is a sore subject for Julian.. lol

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
AT&T mobil's call completion & quality was rated dead last by Consumer Reports in 19 major US markets. Verizon was #1 followed by T-Mobil. That doesn't mean Verizon is #1 in all areas but would be a consideration if traveling throughout the US.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have used a bunch of wilson boosters for the last 5 years. They all have worked very well. Cam.

Lawson2479

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glassman We have the wilson sleek. It is one of the few things I ever bought that works as advertised or even better. It plugs into a usb port /12v plug, has about a 10' cable and a magnetized 6"+ antenna with a optional larger one. The phone slides into a cradle. I cut a hole in a velcro strap slid the antenna in and put it on top of the tower. Went from 0 bars in places to 2-3 bars and full bars where we had 1-2. I have recommended this to several boaters on our lake with the same issues. We have had ours about 3 years with no problems. I think we gave around $80. Money well spent. Oh, we are on ATT but it probably works on any carrier.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll run with this info and see where it gets me.

@Lspeedss , I didn't know that Julian has a problem with the President. I'll keep that in mind for future posts.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My neighbor works for ATT. He tells me this way. The difference between ATT and Verizon is due to the frequency they use.

ATT is a short wavelength in comparison. It does not travel very far and cannot penetrate buildings and pass through trees easily. if you use ATT, driving down the road, you can hear your signal being passed tower to tower a bunch.

Verizon is a longer wavelength. Travels farther and through building much better, etc. that is why they have much better reception in rural areas, mountains, etc.

Being in sales and travelling a bunch, I have found I have no choice but to use Verizon. I hate their higher prices but... oh well.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same reason that AM radio goes farther than FM. Cam.