• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean Out Plugs In or Out When Not in Use in the Water?

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not had the experience for this yet since I haven't had the boat in the water since purchased last Nov and in storage now (2017 242 LTD S).
I've read some thread about the clean out plugs (like the link below), but a little tough to decipher the right answer.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/plugs-what-to-lube-them-with.23734/#post-400398. (and other threads)

I had the following question for anyone with experience:

Situation:
I'm planning to have the boat parked in a (fresh water) slip for the summer. What should I do with the clean out plugs when the boat is not in use in the slip?
Keep them in? Keep them in but unlocked? Take them out? Is there a length of time where it's OK to leave them in or should take them out?

My mechanic (great guy working on Y boats for 12 years) mentioned two things to me:
1) Storage: Keep them in but DON'T lock them in to keep their shape. No lubricant.
2) Parked in the Water: Remove them while the boat is in the water and not in use because he said the petroleum products in the water (gas, oil, etc) over time effects and expands the rubber on the plugs as well as some of the lubricants used directly on the plugs.

I trust my mechanic with all his experience but curious about what others have done and experienced when the boat is not in use.

One Last Question:
Is there a difference between the (I think) 2016 and older style plugs and the 2017 and newer plugs with the materials used, etc. that could effect any differences in this situation?

The forum is a fantastic resource and I appreciate the members here that take the time to offer their experiences!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've been told by multiple sources that, when I store my boat on it's trailer, take them out and keep them sprayed with silicone. I'd be afraid to keep them in the ports but not locked in, might be a great way to forget and throw one into the latch lid. That way you'll always remember to put them back in when you prep for leaving. Not sure on wet slipping though.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lubricate the rubber seal with yamalube silicone protectant and after 3 seasons they look like new. I also keep them locked in the down position when out of the ports because as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has informed us, it takes the pressure off the internal spring which hopefully leads to a longer lifespan on the internal workings.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat!

Any time you put your boat away for storage or winter I recommend bringing your plugs home and keep out of the elements. No reason to subject them to extreme cold. During the summer, since your boat will be wet slipped (you didn't mention a lift) I'd pull the plugs and just leave in the boat. Personally, I keep my boat on a lift and during the summer I leave the plugs in the tubes, but have them unlocked out of the holes and cockeyed. The boat is high enough above the water that I am not concerned with moisture. Been doing it over 8 years and plugs still look brand new.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2017 and newer plugs are twist in as opposed to the 2000 to 2016 plugs that have the push button setup so on the push button setup keep them out of the holes and have the handles in the locked position.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You want them out whenever you can remember to take them out. The cleaner they remain, the less chance of them building up calcium, lime, salt etc and then "locking" into place due to that build up, and the deformity of the rubber ring. Do I always remember...no...but I try.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've had 2 Yamaha's and wet slip my boat in Lake Tahoe over the summers.

When the boat is on the trailer, I remove the plugs and let them sit loose in their sleeves. When the boat is in the water I put the plugs in at the beginning of the weekend and remove them at the end. When we are away from the boat for a couple of weeks at a time, I remove the plugs and lay them crosswise above the top the tube openings. My thought is this keeps them out of the water and thus they don't stick or get all covered in algae.

To help protect myself from my own forgetfulness, I have a red "remove before flight" lanyard that I clip to the handle between swim platform steps when the boat is on the trailer. When I leave it in the lake I clip the lanyard to the steering wheel. This is essentially my reminder to put the plugs in.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

When the boat is on the trailer, I remove the plugs and let them sit loose in their sleeves. When the boat is in the water I put the plugs in at the beginning of the weekend and remove them at the end. When we are away from the boat for a couple of weeks at a time, I remove the plugs and lay them crosswise above the top the tube openings. My thought is this keeps them out of the water and thus they don't stick or get all covered in algae.

To help protect myself from my own forgetfulness, I have a red "remove before flight" lanyard that I clip to the handle between swim platform steps when the boat is on the trailer. When I leave it in the lake I clip the lanyard to the steering wheel. This is essentially my reminder to put the plugs in.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Makes sense!

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've a 2013 SX210 and pull the plugs when on the boat lift. They will lay across the hole and the hatch can be closed. I do this to keep rain from accumulating in the holes and eventually entering the plug body. If you do forget to reseat them when going out, don't worry, you won't be going anywhere until they are seated.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat!

Any time you put your boat away for storage or winter I recommend bringing your plugs home and keep out of the elements. No reason to subject them to extreme cold. During the summer, since your boat will be wet slipped (you didn't mention a lift) I'd pull the plugs and just leave in the boat. Personally, I keep my boat on a lift and during the summer I leave the plugs in the tubes, but have them unlocked out of the holes and cockeyed. The boat is high enough above the water that I am not concerned with moisture. Been doing it over 8 years and plugs still look brand new.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. No lift. Good advice!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I like the lanyard tip for sure!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you do forget to reseat them when going out, don't worry, you won't be going anywhere until they are seated.
Oh so true. Way to many times that I can honestly admit... Alrighty crew... time to goooo.... wait, why are we not moving. We are just drifting... oh shoot! The plugs! Run to the back. Hurry! We are approaching some rocks/slip/other boat!

Story of my life. I've got a system now but I'm sure I'll forget it at the start of next season! Lol

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've been told by multiple sources that, when I store my boat on it's trailer, take them out and keep them sprayed with silicone. I'd be afraid to keep them in the ports but not locked in, might be a great way to forget and throw one into the latch lid. That way you'll always remember to put them back in when you prep for leaving. Not sure on wet slipping though.
Thanks for your response - much appreciated! I think the part about forgetting that they are not locked in is important and like what others said about a lanyard or some kind of reminder near the hatch or driver's area.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You want them out whenever you can remember to take them out. The cleaner they remain, the less chance of them building up calcium, lime, salt etc and then "locking" into place due to that build up, and the deformity of the rubber ring. Do I always remember...no...but I try.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing the info. I've read through a lot of threads with your posts and highly respect your advice! Thank you for sharing your vast knowledge!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've a 2013 SX210 and pull the plugs when on the boat lift. They will lay across the hole and the hatch can be closed. I do this to keep rain from accumulating in the holes and eventually entering the plug body. If you do forget to reseat them when going out, don't worry, you won't be going anywhere until they are seated.
Thanks for chiming in and the advice! You are right in that I'm not going anywhere unless they are seated!

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I lubricate the rubber seal with yamalube silicone protectant and after 3 seasons they look like new. I also keep them locked in the down position when out of the ports because as @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has informed us, it takes the pressure off the internal spring which hopefully leads to a longer lifespan on the internal workings.
Thanks for the tips! My 2017 doesn't have the locks and twist in, but good to know for others viewing the post.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For mine (2018) I lay them across the holes and close the hatch. The only time I leave them locked in is when the boat is in the water and running, or driving down the road on the trailer. I don’t like them loose when trailering, possible they could bounce around and damage themselves or something else.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For mine (2018) I lay them across the holes and close the hatch. The only time I leave them locked in is when the boat is in the water and running, or driving down the road on the trailer. I don’t like them loose when trailering, possible they could bounce around and damage themselves or something else.
Thanks for the info. Good idea to lock them in when on the road as well!

justamon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I wonder if temperature and air quality play a substantial role in how to store with plugs. I live in the desert where everything rubber dies! I keep my plug locked with a little water in the tube. I expect to have to replace it eventually.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for the info. Good idea to lock them in when on the road as well!
I can’t take credit for that, it’s straight from the owner’s manual.