• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clear curtains for the front

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any ideas or photos of front curtains? Would like to consider ways to install clear curtains from bimini to windshield without adding snaps to the windshield frame? I can add a zipper to the bimini, but really don't want to add the snaps to the frame.

Appreciate any input

2019 Yamaha AR190 if that matters.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have some thoughts on making the same thing. Our AR190 will drip from the bimini directly onto the instrument panel in the rain. I want to shoot one of the Yamaha engineers for not making the top ~3in longer to avoid just that issue.

I had intentions of making some clear vinyl for the sides/front of our 190 this winter. Haven't gotten there though for a myriad of reasons. My intention was to add a zipper to the bimini top, and then some industrial Velcro, or snaps to the windshield frame to hold the bottom of it. Even a "3-sided" cover that was clear would be an improvement in the rain. You could keep your heading into the wind and keep the main cockpit area of the boat at least somewhat dry and shielded from the rain.

I know personally we aren't trying to boat in monsoons, or even stay out in the rain, however we will inevitably get caught in a squall a couple times a season. Spent 3hrs in the rain, and the dark last September waiting on the locks to get back up the Cumberland river into Old Hickory Lake. Would've been really nice to have had a wind/rain break at that point.

@Julian made some nice vinyl windows for his outdoor patio/deck in this thread. I was going to follow his lead for the boat. SailRite has some EXCELLENT videos on how to make curtains/windows/panels for your boat. Here is one on Side Curtains.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have some thoughts on making the same thing. Our AR190 will drip from the bimini directly onto the instrument panel in the rain. I want to shoot one of the Yamaha engineers for not making the top ~3in longer to avoid just that issue.

I had intentions of making some clear vinyl for the sides/front of our 190 this winter. Haven't gotten there though for a myriad of reasons. My intention was to add a zipper to the bimini top, and then some industrial Velcro, or snaps to the windshield frame to hold the bottom of it. Even a "3-sided" cover that was clear would be an improvement in the rain. You could keep your heading into the wind and keep the main cockpit area of the boat at least somewhat dry and shielded from the rain.

I know personally we aren't trying to boat in monsoons, or even stay out in the rain, however we will inevitably get caught in a squall a couple times a season. Spent 3hrs in the rain, and the dark last September waiting on the locks to get back up the Cumberland river into Old Hickory Lake. Would've been really nice to have had a wind/rain break at that point.

@Julian made some nice vinyl windows for his outdoor patio/deck in this thread. I was going to follow his lead for the boat. SailRite has some EXCELLENT videos on how to make curtains/windows/panels for your boat. Here is one on Side Curtains.
Thank you for the links. I will probably sew my own and use the grommet / bungee idea at the top and spring clamps for the shield. Only need it up for the rare cold and or rainy days out with the wife and kids and don't want to over complicate it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the links. I will probably sew my own and use the grommet / bungee idea at the top and spring clamps for the shield. Only need it up for the rare cold and or rainy days out with the wife and kids and don't want to over complicate it.
I totally get that. I wanted something quick/easy to deploy as well, but had completely forgotten about Julians front piece he made.

The only issue with that front piece Julian made is that it won't work quite as well on our 190 Bimini tops. His 242X has a much more robust semi-permanent top that is better suited for that. I think a zipper at the top would still be the best bet on our bimini's.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I totally get that. I wanted something quick/easy to deploy as well, but had completely forgotten about Julians front piece he made.

The only issue with that front piece Julian made is that it won't work quite as well on our 190 Bimini tops. His 242X has a much more robust semi-permanent top that is better suited for that. I think a zipper at the top would still be the best bet on our bimini's.
A zipper approach would be much easier to use and practical, but will cost more to fabricate. My SX230 had a fantastic full camper cover that zippered on...we loved it, but it cost $3000. You can see it here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-camper-cover-photos-questions-etc.19/

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A zipper approach would be much easier to use and practical, but will cost more to fabricate. My SX230 had a fantastic full camper cover that zippered on...we loved it, but it cost $3000. You can see it here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-camper-cover-photos-questions-etc.19/
Yea, I remember that canvas. That is like the ultimate cover setup. Costly, but well worth it if you're expecting to be out in the elements very often. I think I would love to end up somewhere between that and what @zipper has on the side of his.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yea, I remember that canvas. That is like the ultimate cover setup. Costly, but well worth it if you're expecting to be out in the elements very often. I think I would love to end up somewhere between that and what @zipper has on the side of his.
Yeah, we had that made for the annual trip we used to make to Lake Of The Woods in Ontario. We'd go for 2 weeks and invariably we would end up with a few days of rain, which when you are staying on an island can make boating miserable.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any ideas or photos of front curtains? Would like to consider ways to install clear curtains from bimini to windshield without adding snaps to the windshield frame? I can add a zipper to the bimini, but really don't want to add the snaps to the frame.

Appreciate any input

2019 Yamaha AR190 if that matters.
We use our shade curtains a lot. Zippering to the bimini is quick, grommets/bungee balls to connect to tower. Later this year I would like to put a vinyl windshield on my wifes sewing project list or just learn how to do it myself, she has a long list ahead of her. The hard part would be sewing a zipper to the front of the existing bimini. I already have snaps clipped into the windshield for my cockpit cover.

Richardb

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is inspirational, so thank you for sharing. I've picked up part of the materials and ordered the other fabric not carried by Joanns. I'll do my best to document the enclosure and post here. Some great ideas/suggestions. Thank you all.