• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Jet Steering L L C showing you the MAGNUM A. K. STEERING system

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This system was designed specifically for the Yamaha 2015 - 24 foot articulated keel models. A picture is worth a thousand words. I balanced the steering and the work load . A keel makes boats tend to stay in a straight line, the faster the boat goes the more the keel resists turning quickly. By employing my Magnum adjustable fins to balance out the influence I have provided both slow speed and high speed assistance along with the factory rudder we have a very even clean looking, balanced and effective steering system for just about every boaters needs. Adding the second tie rod also balances out the work load to both sides of the steering system as it should be. Since the Magnum fins are adjustable, YOU decide just how much influence you want added to your steering.
I have not yet listed this system on my web page. I posted it here first so members of this web page get the first look at this new system. I have a very limited number of systems on hand plus I have a waiting list of people who will have first shot at the available systems. The price for this system is the same as the regular magnum set 324.25
a k series.jpg

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great Jeff! Thanks for releasing your newest project here!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Willard Ivins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've been researching your products, Jeff. If I end up with one of these '15 240s, I'll likely be giving you a ring to send one of these over. Does steering effort at higher speeds increase, or is there a geometry in the linkage setup that helps reduces it?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really like the idea of the second tie rod to the other jet nozzle, makes a lot of sense to balance the work load over both nozzles not just one.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks good! I like it.

Does it help with the gross excess of steering input needed at speed? My boat takes about 90 degrees either way of center before it starts to turn enough. Not sure if it's the keel effect or what. It does make for a squirrely ride when overtaking someone and trying to counteract the bow steer while getting through their wake.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The new system makes the boat respond better at all speeds, not just slow speed or high speed . The factory installed a rack and pinion steering in this boat that has twice the steering wheel input to obtain the same travel in the nozzles as the other boats.
A keel somewhat defeats the jet boat experience as it holds the boat in a straight line and as I said earlier the faster you go the more influence you need for the boat to change directions, also at slow speeds it needs more input to move the boat around precisely and quickly. So with this V formation of the 2 Magnum rudders off to each side of the boat and the center factory rudder you will get a greatly improved response to the helm. I do have a member of this web page who was my random volunteer the picture is of his boat with the system added.
I left the decision to comment on the product totally up to him so if he decides to take questions that is fine if he isn't inclined to then that's his call.
I picked him randomly, he was a good test subject as he really did not appear to be interested in the project at first, then he drove his boat for the first time and he contacted me with a change of heart. He is by no means a mechanic but he was very instrumental in providing me with pictures and measurements. Based on my many years of experience designing steering for these boats I actually designed this system by proxy or to be more accurate by E-MAIL. He lives in another state and I have never met him or seen his boat other than in pictures he sent me. This project did take me a lot longer than I anticipated however I did not rush it .
As for the second tie rod, If you have been following the Yamaha quest for a patent on this articulated keel I believe you would understand that some patent holder named Walkowiak has been in their way since I, oops ,I mean HE owns patents with tie rods and rudders etc. so I suspect the single tie rod had something to do with a way around an issue in that arena, The second tie rod is really a must for that boat to evenly distribute the work load of the rudder without causing excessive wear on one side of the steering system.
I would guess there was a lot of expense in totally redesigning the hull of the boat to add a keel and a rudder to it however I don't think it was a really good idea for a jet boat. My saying that for every solution there comes a new problem!
I think it's sad they never bothered to consult with him because I hear he is getting older and looking for companies to license all his patents to so he can stop being a slave to all this. Just a rumor though.
It may be a good time for some of the other boat manufacturers to look at my, I mean his patents for the very inexpensive solutions to the old problem of jet boat steering or a lack thereof.
I would love to see a couple of random people do a head to head comparison for tracking, handling at speed and at idle and lets not forget off power steering with a new 2015 stock boat with only the factory rudder up against a 2014 - 24 foot or similar boat with just my Ultimate steering on it set in the fully deployed mode.
Based on customer feedback and my own tests I honestly believe the 2014 would be the winner, proving LESS is MORE.

In any event these are being shipped out now so in a short time I believe all questions will be answered.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One more thing I forgot to mention, as always we have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on all our steering including this one. Just bolt it on and try it, if you are not happy send it back all you will be paying for is the return postage.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Glad to see that you chose to reveal the new '15 steering here Jeff! Looks great and I know it answers a bunch of unanswered questions that the new articulating keel brought up. Do you think you will get the new steering to retract or is that just not worth going after...since the new articulating keel doesn't retract. I guess a guy could just cut that thing off the boat and have yours handle the mission, dual tie rods and all! Looks great and glad to see it!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I can do that, however as you said it is not necessary since the keel and rudder are considerably lower than my fins so they protect the fins from striking the ground in most cases. As you know people should avoid beaching any jet in really shallow water where the intakes make contact with the ground allowing them to pick up sand, shells or other foreign material. The position of the additional fins makes steering corrections instantly since they are not riding behind a large keel and they are off to the side where they are more effective. like I said once a few people report back on the system I think the answers will be flowing in. I already have one dealer order for this.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would love to see a couple of random people do a head to head comparison for tracking, handling at speed and at idle and lets not forget off power steering with a new 2015 stock boat with only the factory rudder up against a 2014 - 24 foot or similar boat with just my Ultimate steering on it set in the fully deployed mode.
I had hoped to do some tracking and turning tests at Shelbyville to put some boats side by side and test....would be even more awesome to get @Ronnie to get his copter overhead and truly measure the turning angles to see if which turned the fastest etc.

My thought was to get a boat without fins, one with fins, and one with keel and have them all to a hard port turn at the same time and see which did a 180/360 first (ideally all with perfect pass running exactly the same speed!)

Someday

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just driving them is all most people need to understand the difference. I let people try on of my skies and they come back asking if I can make their ski do the same thing. this is a quick shot of a 24 foot non keel boat with the Ultimates in the fully deployed mode turning "AFTER" the engines were put into neutral.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian , I just so happen to have a phantom 1 that I would loan you for free if you want. Just pick up the shipping costs, slAp on a gopro and have at it. I'd bet there will be boaters at the next big gatherimg with and without fins as well as with different types of fins. Flying is easy just practice a few mins over land first. If you damage it don't worry about it, just send back what's left as a trophy for my son and I. It doesn't seem like we will ever fly it again as it is. After flying something with the other features like fpv, I can't go back to A basic model.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great Jeff.

Do you still have me at the head of the list for the Cobra Jet Hydrofoil kit?:rolleyes:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
haaaa I actually did something close to that on my last pontoon boat, sadly I just didn't have enough H.P. for it to work correctly but the truth is stranger than fiction the boat would turn on a dime and steer unbelievably, plus it totally refused to do a nose dive even with everyone sitting in the front, pontoon owners understand that nose dive issue when you hit a wave with people all sitting up in the front.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The picture of the boat in the first post is mine.

I figured I could always take the system off if I didn't like it.

It won't be coming off!

My main concern going in was performance being affected. No negative affect.

I was originally hesitant because my first boat was a Seadoo 180 Challenger SE. I could maneuver that thing like a dream. I figured the AR240 would be no different.

Well, big difference, especially in reverse.

Installation of the system is very easy and straightforward.

Its effectiveness surpasses my expectations.

Jeff mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating. Memorial Day weekend we were heading to the ramp to end the day. Conditons were calm, but traffic was heavy. I wanted to drop my wife at the dock to get the truck. I found a spot at the edge of the dock, 8 feet wide. I took note of the wind and current, spun the boat, placing the swim platform towards the 8 foot of dock and backed up to it.

I judged the current pretty good so as the stern approached the dock, my wife took a nice normal step onto the dock and walked to the truck. Probably got within a foot of the dock, never hit it and pulled away.

Got a few rewarding looks from other boaters. It is a nice feeling to be able to pilot your boat well.

This systems makes that easier - ALOT!

At speed, I had to realize the rack and pinion requires more wheel travel. But as soon as I did, I fell in love with the handling of my boat.

My thanks to Jeff for his work.

Last edited:

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC Nice work Jeff. I saw your system and like the fact it can be locked down so you have constant input... When I sell my 192 I will be looking to you for a set for a 212X. I do like how I can shake the stern free on the 192 without any steering enhancers and will have to compare whenI get my 212X. One thing the new 2015 24os dont do from my understanding is when you pull to idle or neutral it does not do a spin. That is one thing that is a PITA with the 192, I dont notice it as much because I am used to it and counter steer to stop it but I had my dad learning to drive it and was getting dizzy from all the circles... does your system help stop that?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One of the benefits of my systems is that you do not spin out when you power down, heck as the short video demonstrated you can actually steer the boat in rapid deceleration situations and the wheel goes to center automatically if you release the wheel after turning the boat. Like I said before a 24 foot with no keel with my system added will run circles around a stock articulated keel boat , now add my steering to that boat and lookout sports fans.