• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My argument is just a reiteration of the doctors who say their vaccinated patient admissions outnumber their non vaccinated due to their being a larger population of vaccinated in their towns. It’s not my argument. I just have to trust that the hospitals aren’t intentionally misrepresenting the data, in order to destroy their own previous positions just for the fun of it.
I would love to see a statement along those lines from a hospital. Not a YouTube video. Show some actual data to support your argument.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Spartanburg, South Carolina Lake Hartwell/Keowee
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
I would love to see a statement along those lines from a hospital. Not a YouTube video. Show some actual data to support your argument.
Well, I tried, and succeeded, but it’s in French, because you know…Quebec. I’ll try to find an admissions report in English tomorrow.
1643347294164.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well, I tried, and succeeded, but it’s in French, because you know…Quebec. I’ll try to find an admissions report in English tomorrow.
View attachment 170273
Sorry....been away from this thread for a while.....this chart shows that per 100k people, non vaccinated are hospitalized at a rate of .15, while vaccinated are hospitalized at a rate of .015 (ten fold less). Not sure what point you were making with this data, but it whole heartedly supports that vaccines are reducing hospitalizations, or in the reverse.... you have a 19 times higher chance of hospitalization if you are not vaccinated, and a 5.2 times higher chance if you have only one dose.

The video that was discussed was interesting. The point being (not in this chart) is that the FDA is saying that a booster doesn't move the needle much on if you'd be hospitalized - so don't bother. But data lags (hindsight is 20/20)....so if the vaccines are safe....boost people if there is a concern about variants causing a future need for boosting. The counter point, and it is a GOOD ONE, is - are they under financial pressure to make that call??? (big pharma influence on the voters - or the voters themselves owning big pharma stock - and insider trading??? - Money has never made people make bad decisions!!!! LOL (kidding with that last statement).

I got boosted as for me there was no harm in doing so. But it was a selfish move considering that many third world countries still have very low vaccination rates. The benefits of wealth....

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
The data also shows the added protection only works about 10 weeks. Are we supposed to get these things every 2 months? Won’t vaccination after vaccination after vaccination make us less protected in the long run? I don’t know. I’m honestly asking. It doesn’t seem practical to say boost every 10 weeks, and I don’t think many are willing to do it. I’ve been double vaccinated, and had covid 2 weeks ago. Shouldn’t my immunity be better than vaxed only people?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The data also shows the added protection only works about 10 weeks. Are we supposed to get these things every 2 months? Won’t vaccination after vaccination after vaccination make us less protected in the long run? I don’t know. I’m honestly asking. It doesn’t seem practical to say boost every 10 weeks, and I don’t think many are willing to do it. I’ve been double vaccinated, and had covid 2 weeks ago. Shouldn’t my immunity be better than vaxed only people?
Data says your immunity is probably better yes. Probably.
I don't think any one is saying boost after 2.5 months. Its hard man. Lots of constantly changing information. We just want to keep people out of the hospital. Stay safe man, whichever way you think is best for you.

Mesa50

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
Data says your immunity is probably better yes. Probably.
I don't think any one is saying boost after 2.5 months. Its hard man. Lots of constantly changing information. We just want to keep people out of the hospital. Stay safe man, whichever way you think is best for you.
Thanks for your input. I understand how difficult your job is right now, and I’m sorry anyone has to be in the middle of a very stressful time with lots of illness. I also understand your dilemma with following protocols, and dealing with people who want to try something different. It’s a bad position to be in. Hopefully, this will pass shortly.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interestingly, this morning I stumbled across this world vaccination map that is on the Johns Hopkins website

1643389624766.png

I think vaccination rates are useful to better understand the vaccination policies of different countries.

Jim

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Africa breaks my heart

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for your input. I understand how difficult your job is right now, and I’m sorry anyone has to be in the middle of a very stressful time with lots of illness. I also understand your dilemma with following protocols, and dealing with people who want to try something different. It’s a bad position to be in. Hopefully, this will pass shortly.
thanks. appreciate those words

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I’m so tired of this pandemic. I hope everyone is safe and healthy

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got boosted as for me there was no harm in doing so. But it was a selfish move considering that many third world countries still have very low vaccination rates. The benefits of wealth....
I humble disagree with the logic, and offer the exact opposite thought...

With so many desiring to get vaccinated around the world, this being a perishable and not easily transferable dose to someone in another country, your best contribution was to take it yourself since it was offered. The alternative is to leave the steak on the table in solidarity with a hungry person somewhere else. We don't do that, we eat the entire confection, knowing wasting food would be the unkind choice. I say, same for the vaccine. It's not like if your don't boost that dose will end up in Africa. On the contrary, the dose, as used, may help reduce mutations, which helps all others. Giving it up on your specific situation would not send the food to a hungry person but instead send an expired booster to the bin.

Just a different perspective.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I humble disagree with the logic, and offer the exact opposite thought...

With so many desiring to get vaccinated around the world, this being a perishable and not easily transferable dose to someone in another country, your best contribution was to take it yourself since it was offered. The alternative is to leave the steak on the table in solidarity with a hungry person somewhere else. We don't do that, we eat the entire confection, knowing wasting food would be the unkind choice. I say, same for the vaccine. It's not like if your don't boost that dose will end up in Africa. On the contrary, the dose, as used, may help reduce mutations, which helps all others. Giving it up on your specific situation would not send the food to a hungry person but instead send an expired booster to the bin.

Just a different perspective.
I get your perspective, but if we'd chosen not to approve boosters, that vaccine COULD have been shipped anywhere in the world. Problem is...they make less money per dose selling it to an African country than rich Americans.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right, at that time there might have been a choice. Although, what's your take on what the cases are so high in the US continuously compared to other regions? I think for whatever reason the US has been hit so hard I don't have any have concerns on concentrating here first as much as possible.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Beachbummer, we have a large portion of our population who does not care enough to take physical measures to reduce spread combined with a small portion of our population that has rejected vaccination. That leads to more cases than in most developed countries.

Then when you look at reporting of cases, we are far from capturing the full burden of infection in state reporting but are doing so much more effectively than less developed countries. It is likely that outbreaks in S. Africa and India were much larger than reported while some countries will have had huge outbreaks that were hardly reported at all. Tracking infections is a luxury that much of the world does not have.

My entire family is boosted. With the exception of my parents in their 70s those doses would have found greater purpose in less fortunate people who have not yet been vaccinated.

It is strange that in the US we have people fighting against vaccination while people in less wealthy countries are begging for vaccination. We are spoiled.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The Johns Hopkins website, has a country by country listing of the % of population fully vaccinated. I don't know if it is surprising or not, but the U.S. (with 64% of the population vaccinated) is 58th on the list of vaccinations. This is much lower than our Canadian neighbors who are at 80%.

Jim

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an in-law visit the Arab Emirates for the F1 race, and he indicated they have semi-weekly mandatory testing for access to supermarkets. and additional special testing needed to enter the race. Their case count seems very very small compared to ours. (5% of the population vs 25+% for us) I'm still at a loss on our disproportionate impact, but there is some positive news, at least so far, that many of the deaths can be prevented by vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.