• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Fauci just said on live television that there "will be so many people self isolating and so many people asymptomatic" that we need to only need to self quarantine for only 5 rather than 10 to ensure the economy doesn't crash again. Well what changed from the first time? It wasn't a problem in 2020 to shut down but now it is?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One article I read said that 97% of RI healthcare workers are vaccinated, add to that the ones who have a medical exemption, and it isn't a huge impact....but when you combine it with a covid surge....less than ideal (but their mandate was for 10/1....so perhaps they'd handled that 1-2% attrition already? I wish my company only had 1-2% attrition!
Medical exemptions are very hard to get due to the (political) climate. Pretty much impossible unless one had a documented reaction to the first dose. Conscientious objectors need not apply. I highly doubt 1-2% of hcw’s have medical exemptions in RI… do you have a source?

I believe the 97% compliance rate often referenced is misleading. Many workers simply left or retired earlier then planned when they saw what was coming and may not be included in the numbers.

And losing 3% of all health care workers (facilities, back office staff etc.) would have a different effect then losing 3% of patient facing clinical staff. Many back office workers were able to transition to working from home to comply with the mandate and avoid taking the shot. Obviously patient facing workers can not work from home.

I have not seen statistics that break down the compliance rates by HCW roles. But I suspect the attrition rate varies.

When facilities are offering $900 shift bonuses (plus reg pay/OT) to CNAs and being told no then even a 3% larger pool of workers would likely be welcomed by most. Instead some RI facilities have resorted to having “mildly symptomatic” covid positive healthcare workers fill the shifts.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Medical exemptions are very hard to get due to the (political) climate. Pretty much impossible unless one had a documented reaction to the first dose. Conscientious objectors need not apply. I highly doubt 1-2% of hcw’s have medical exemptions in RI… do you have a source?
Here is one source that documents at least 365 medical exemptions given (1.5% of the 24,000 referenced in the other article). That will be across all the hospital staff. Its already been documented that college educated clinical staff are vaccinated at a far higher rate than other healthcare workers. So although I'm not saying it won't have had an impact on clinical care, it may well not be their # one challenge. "The great resignation" may well be their primary problem with the mandate exacerbating it.....I know that is our primary problem (not our vaccine mandate).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There were warnings that we might hit a million documented cases a day. Doing so so early in the this wave and with testing unable to keep up this is likely to get much worse. The true number of infections is already much higher since many are testing at home which is not reported.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There were warnings that we might hit a million documented cases a day. Doing so so early in the this wave and with testing unable to keep up this is likely to get much worse. The true number of infections is already much higher since many are testing at home which is not reported.

The medial media pundits (a new acronym?) are getting more bullish on the likelihood that this wave will push us far quicker towards endemic status- at the cost of more lives - but since this strain is less deadly - fewer deaths than if it were a delta wave only.

Did finally get my daughter's boyfriend fully vaxed!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My own personal belief is that medical exemptions SHOULD not be automatic. One should be able to sincerely show why their religion prohibits getting this specific vaccine. There are way to many people trying to use religion as a catch all when in reality their religious group does NOT hold objections to getting the vaccine, they just don't want to get vaccinated. It is pretty amoral for someone to try to claim a religious exemption when it is not true.

The crisis in America's heathcare (at least in hospital settings) is driven by the hospitalization of unvaccinated Americans, not by staff vaccine mandates.

Again, I would ask, "Are they calling in covid positive staff to work? The other articles that I can find on-line say, "Rhode Island's Department of Health has said that hospital and nursing home staff who test positive for COVID-19 can return to work to solve a staffing crisis if needed." The key for now seems to be, IF NEEDED." I sincerely ask this question, as I have not read any articles that note this has happened.

Jim

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
We will be wearing KN95 masks, saying our pleasantries, not eating, and leaving fairly quickly at friend parties and church this week. I don't worry about Covid for myself and don't usually wear a mask much but I want to have a safe holiday with vulnerable people. Unfortunately, many people think wearing a mask is a moral statement or a game with rules. I see people who wear masks outside, but take it off in a crowded restaurant. I see people in places that don't require them, but are wearing them under their nose. If you are truly concerned about getting Covid, you should wear a high quality mask while interacting with others indoors, but don't play the silly moral mask game just to feel superior.
Just he saw a report 2 days ago on Fox Business, a CEO of a US mask producer said that KN95 mask are not effective as they are self-certified by the manufacturer. He also stated that an N95 that wraps around the head not the ears is the best.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My own personal belief is that medical exemptions SHOULD not be automatic. One should be able to sincerely show why their religion prohibits getting this specific vaccine. There are way to many people trying to use religion as a catch all when in reality their religious group does NOT hold objections to getting the vaccine, they just don't want to get vaccinated. It is pretty amoral for someone to try to claim a religious exemption when it is not true.

The crisis in America's heathcare (at least in hospital settings) is driven by the hospitalization of unvaccinated Americans, not by staff vaccine mandates.

Again, I would ask, "Are they calling in covid positive staff to work? The other articles that I can find on-line say, "Rhode Island's Department of Health has said that hospital and nursing home staff who test positive for COVID-19 can return to work to solve a staffing crisis if needed." The key for now seems to be, IF NEEDED." I sincerely ask this question, as I have not read any articles that note this has happened.

Jim
Rhode Island is NOT granting religious exemptions....that is going to court (I think was already rejected at one level). Medical exemptions need to be granted based on clear medical conditions, not just some primary care physician "selling" exemptions like the whole "service dog" fiasco we are seeing in air travel these days.

KN95 masks are not certified - here is a good article on the topic with lots of references..... a snippet below:

Keep in mind, the certifications mentioned above only refer to the country in which the standards and regulations were created, not where the masks are made. Most N95 masks are still made in China. Similarly, the CDC has authorized the use of KN95 masks as a suitable alternative to N95 masks for its response to Covid-19 and the new Omicron variant.​
“The KN95 is practically equivalent to N95 in every aspect,” says Amin. “Customers seem to believe that the N95 is superior at blocking airborne particles, but the KN95 is just as good, if not better,” he insists. “Many N95 [masks] are also made in parts of China and Asia so the notion that all N95 are U.S.-created is inaccurate as well.”​
The FDA has released a list of approved KN95 masks here. You can view the CDC list of approved N95 masks here.​

Bottom line....there are tons of KN95 masks flooding the market, and only some of them are "approved" by the CDC. That said....I'd go out on a limb and say the vast majority of the KN95 masks are far better than cloth masks ( which are probably n20-40?), so don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In our house we use kn95. I don't think expect my wife and kids to use a true n95 like I do at work. I'm used to them but it's not comfortable. Kn95 will always be better than regular surgical mask and also better than cloth

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Fauci says the cdc should change the quarantine requirements again. This time to include testing after 5 days.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fauci says the cdc should change the quarantine requirements again. This time to include testing after 5 days.
Does it really matter?

People who care quarantine reasonably. People who do not care are not getting vaccinated, wearing masks or quarantining.

I guess it does give people who do not care something to gripe about.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does it really matter?

People who care quarantine reasonably. People who do not care are not getting vaccinated, wearing masks or quarantining.

I guess it does give people who do not care something to gripe about.
It matters for companies who require their workers to follow the guidelines.

part of why it was reduced (or mostly why) was because airlines and other companies were complaining. Fauci himself said it was to “keep society functioning.” PCR tests can give show positive for 3 months after an infection. And rest in general are hard to come by now.

So if the guidelines are changed again society could collapse!

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length

Jim
I know for a fact that for the past many months here in Maryland Covid positive health workers I hospitals were being told they had to work. Obviously, while wearing masks.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
4 years ago there was a short 2 season series starring JK Simmons called Counterpart. Being an old Sifi guy I found it interesting. I just did a rewatch with my son and its alarming how much of todays events were part of the story line of something made over 4 years ago. I have attached a couple video clips from episodes to show you. This is not political at all so please dont delete

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not political, but not really relevant to this thread either. The science of pandemics is not new, so it has been the topic of novels and movies before. Looks like an interesting series, I missed it as I didn't have a Starz account. Wish it wasn't cancelled at the end of season 2, otherwise I would definitely give it a watch.

Jim

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Evil Sports, if you watch Contagion you will see the same scenarios that were widely predicted by epidemiologists that have played out in this and past pandemics.

What stood out most to me watching Contagion during the pandemic is that they included skeptics, deniers and the shysters that would profit from disinformation. I had not taken note of those roles when the movie first came out but now that I have seen the harm that such people cause it was interesting to see them portrayed in the movie.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So @the MfM, which part of my post do you "dislike" 🤷‍♂️ :

- the science of pandemics is not new?
- that it has been the topic of novels and movies before?
- that it looks like an interesting series, but I missed it?
- if it wasn't cancelled at the end of season 2, I would definitely give it a watch?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Jim

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So @the MfM, which part of my post do you "dislike" 🤷‍♂️ :

- the science of pandemics is not new?
- that it has been the topic of novels and movies before?
- that it looks like an interesting series, but I missed it?
- if it wasn't cancelled at the end of season 2, I would definitely give it a watch?

Enquiring minds want to know,

Jim
That you said it was irrelevant to this thread.

(next time please pm me as these posts distract from the topic at hand)

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That you said it was irrelevant to this thread.
It is irrelevant to this thread. It is a post about works of fiction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.