• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

CoVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2 Information and Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is irrelevant to this thread. It is a post about works of fiction.
Yet you yourself felt compelled to respond to the post?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yet you yourself felt compelled to respond to the post?
Of course he did....he's an Admin/Moderator... Which is why I replied.

That said, the occasional injection of off topic comments isn't the end of the world.

Regarding the prior comment about delta being the current most prevalant variant in NC, I was unable to find any RECENT credible (official) data that supports that. If any one else can link to a source that shows this, I'd be curious. I assumed the huge increase here, and everywhere was primariiy omicrom.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian did you see the link I posted on page 8 with a video on the local news?

if not go to around 40-50 seconds in where the hospital rep talked about how “all” cases recently have been Delta.

she didn’t show any real data but I assume we should be able to trust someone in that type of position.
I was really surprised and quite frankly find that hard to believe (no omicron) (and concerning)

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian did you see the link I posted on page 8 with a video on the local news?

if not go to around 40-50 seconds in where the hospital rep talked about how “all” cases recently have been Delta.

she didn’t show any real data but I assume we should be able to trust someone in that type of position.
I was really surprised and quite frankly find that hard to believe (no omicron) (and concerning)
I asked because, for example, this source seems to blow that away...and this was from December:

That approximately follows the trend spotted in data from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill sequencing lab, which says 22 percent of the viruses it checked for the Dec. 18 week were omicron, compared to 2.8 percent of those a week earlier.​
Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says omicron made up 59 percent of the viruses it sequenced for the week ending Dec. 18.​
For the week before, the CDC initially said 73 percent of those viruses were delta before revising it way down to 23 percent.​

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian, @jlcj7 North Carolina has a program called CORVASEQ run through UNC to sequence a portion of positive test results identifying the variant.

I can not find any publication of the CORVASEQ data which I would expect to be public.

The CDC has week old regional data and almost month old state data at COVID Data Tracker

I assume the CORVASEQ data is being reported to the CDC but we will have to wait about a month to know what the current NC counts all.

What a terrible system.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. Doesn’t pass the common sense test. I was surprised to hear a rep from a hospital saying this.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree. Doesn’t pass the common sense test. I was surprised to hear a rep from a hospital saying this.
My state of Arkansas has made claims about Delta being the majority but this is based on data from before Christmas. The situation is changing rapidly. Lots of delta in the hospitals with new cases being omicron.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Almost 2 years of being relatively diligent & getting vaxed and now my whole family seems to have covid.
My wife got sick with flu symptoms last weekend and took an at home test that was negative. Her symptoms seemed more like flu than covid & no loss of taste or smell so we trusted the test. Wife masked & washed hands and all but 1 yo son started getting a fever on Weds so we assumed he got the flu too. Thursday night I started getting sick & tested positive yesterday with at home test. My symptoms also seem to not match up very with what I read about covid vs cold. Relative that watches the baby tested positive on a pcr test friday but her husband with health problems tested negative, so far.
Crazy how long this took to move through a small family that is in constant contact. Wondering if maybe my wife didn’t actually have it initially. She’s down in line trying to get her & the baby tested as no one has at home tests available anymore.
Everyone is doing ok. I’m the sickest right now and it’s like a pretty bad cold. I rode my dirt bike & had a little crash the morning before I got sick so not sure what aches are from that vs covid.

Our reported numbers here have to be ridiculously low vs what’s actually going on.
I know probably a dozen people that have gotten this since Christmas time. One was vaxed & he’s on his second bout of having it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@AZMark, I hope everyone is better soon.

Thanks for sharing.

There is a UK study that found that inhaled budesonide reduced the severity and length of illness. Nasal budesonide is available OTC. Flonase has a similar but stronger action. Either might help with your cold like symptoms. DEFINE_ME

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have lots of neighbors who have tested positive with home kits.... none of these are being added to the public testing totals. Quite the spread. Thankfully this variant still remains lower severity! Let's hope future ones are too!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Went tailgating for the Bucs game yesterday and in our lot they do COVID testing. Must have been a few hundred people in line, easy 3-4 hour wait.

I don't get it. Common sense is gone. If your sick, stay away from people.... that simple. That has been common sense for forever. COVID has people trained like sheep to get tested.... If you do test positive... what can you even do? Nothing different than a regular cold. Monoclonal anti-bodies might be an option but they are hard to find.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Went tailgating for the Bucs game yesterday and in our lot they do COVID testing. Must have been a few hundred people in line, easy 3-4 hour wait.

I don't get it. Common sense is gone. If your sick, stay away from people.... that simple. That has been common sense for forever. COVID has people trained like sheep to get tested.... If you do test positive... what can you even do? Nothing different than a regular cold. Monoclonal anti-bodies might be an option but they are hard to find.
Monoclonals as we knew them (Regeneron) are gone. Currently we have paxlovid, molnupiravir, sotrovimab, and remdesivir as outpatient treatment options.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

A ton of people are back to traveling, and need testing to know if they CAN travel. I also assume many companies are requiring negative tests in order to return to work. I wanted to get a test while I was in Florida so I could go visit my Dad in a nursing home - fortunately I was able to lay my hands on a home test. Last thing I wanted to do (after being exposed to my nephew who was covid positive) was to bring Covid into a nursing home!!! So there are quite a lot of reason people want to know....

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
A ton of people are back to traveling, and need testing to know if they CAN travel. I also assume many companies are requiring negative tests in order to return to work. I wanted to get a test while I was in Florida so I could go visit my Dad in a nursing home - fortunately I was able to lay my hands on a home test. Last thing I wanted to do (after being exposed to my nephew who was covid positive) was to bring Covid into a nursing home!!! So there are quite a lot of reason people want to know....
So testing just to be safe before an event?

I'm under the impression that if you are not sick, then you live your life BAU. If you have symptoms then just stay home for a few days. These 6-8 hour waits are just absurd. Hard pressed to believe this many people are doing it before travel or for RTW.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So testing just to be safe before an event?

I'm under the impression that if you are not sick, then you live your life BAU. If you have symptoms then just stay home for a few days. These 6-8 hour waits are just absurd. Hard pressed to believe this many people are doing it before travel or for RTW.
If you are flying international....you HAVE to have a negative covid test to get into many countries. My brother just had visitors from the UK...it was a PITA for them to get testing done for their return!

After a direct exposure to my nephew who was symptomatic, there was no way I was going to be allowed into a nursing home, let alone WANT to go in if I tested positive but was asymptomatic . BAU in that regard is stay the hell out of there! Since I was going home in a couple of days, I wanted to spend as much time with him as I could, so I tested. Otherwise I would simply have quarantined for 7 days and not seen him.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just my 2 cents but we were talking about this at work today. I think people are getting cold like, flu like symptoms and want to get tested for covid for 5 paid days off of work. We all know the cheap tests can provide a false positive as well which is all you need to not come in and get paid

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We all know the cheap tests can provide a false positive
Would love to see your evidence on this?

If skipping work was the plan is there really any need to show a test?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just my 2 cents but we were talking about this at work today. I think people are getting cold like, flu like symptoms and want to get tested for covid for 5 paid days off of work. We all know the cheap tests can provide a false positive as well which is all you need to not come in and get paid
I’ve been trying to read about this because my wife tested positive on a home test and negative on a PCR the same day. It doesn’t sound like false positives are a problem for the antigen tests at all from what I’ve seen, it’s all on the false negative side.
I actually can’t find anything that can describe what might have happened here since a false positive on rapid test and false negative on PCR for someone with active symptoms seems to be fairly unheard of.

As far as peoples’ motivations I wouldn’t put much past anyone these days but I think more of it is people trying to figure out if they need to isolate from their families/roommates for 5+ days which is not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.